Zip Locker Install- Where to go from here?

TJustin

Porch Dog
Supporting Member
Hello, I am needing some help. I am not sure what my next step should be.

Context: I'm in the process of removing an Eaton E-Locker and installing a Yukon Zip locker into a Currie 60 (Rockjock 60). Below are the specs of the parts being used, as well as current setup measurements as outlined by the Yukon install instructions and video.

Locker PN: YZLD60-3-35 (Zip Locker for 4.10 and down)
R&P PN: Motive Gear D60-538XF (5.38 thick Gears for 4.10 and down)

Backlash: .018".
Ring Gear side shim thickness: .072"
Seal Housing side shim thickness: .014"
Minimum tolerance for seal housing side shims: .015"

I am wanting to get the backlash within spec, but am struggling to decide how to move forward from here because I do not have a sufficient seal housing side shim stack to work with. By appearances, I have the correct parts.

In this 8 year old install video by Yukon on YT, they explain that if I have a Currie 60, I need to have .120" machined off the ring gear side journal as well as the journal shoulder on that same side. The video can be seen here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7VULdU4znI (skip forward to 8:10)

I called Yukon yesterday to verify and they confirmed that if the Currie 60 is the 1st gen housing, then the machining is warranted. However, when I call Currie, they are telling me that my housing isn't that old of a casting and no machining is required. I personally don't see how I can shift the locker to tighten the backlash without machining the locker per Yukon's recommendation.

Really trying here to check all the boxes before I pass the point of no return.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_4245.jpg
    IMG_4245.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4247.jpg
    IMG_4247.jpg
    379.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4274.PNG
    IMG_4274.PNG
    158.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4276.jpg
    IMG_4276.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 10

Agility Customs

Vendor
I would be willing to bet you need the 4 series zip locker. I’m not positive and I don’t care enough to look it up but I’m pretty sure the XF Dana 60 gear is just a high pinion gear not a thick gear.

Last edited:

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Yea I'd start with verifying that the thick gear is actually thick then go from there. Something is odd.

Carrier deck height differences for D60:
1701236854587.png

So that leaves a difference of ~0.195 which seems like too much for your scenario as well. That would be the thickness difference in ring gears.
What is the deck height on that zip locker?

Measuring info:

TJustin

Porch Dog
Supporting Member
Thanks for the responses.

As far as I am understanding from the Motive Gear website the XF suffix designated thick gear vs the X suffix is a thin gear. I’ve attached a screenshot.

I measured the deck height this morning and it’s checks out at 2.24”.

I could not find an explanation online this morning to help identify a thick or thin gear based on the dimensions, so I measured from the base of the tooth to the back side of the gear. That measurement is 1.038.”

Attachments

• IMG_4284.png
    IMG_4284.png
    64.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4285.jpeg
    IMG_4285.jpeg
    288.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4286.jpeg
    IMG_4286.jpeg
    274.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Machining the ring gear side won't help tighten up that backlash, so I don't think that's the solution at all.

Is there any option of a thinner seal housing or anything weird like that? Leave the shim off that side despite the. 015 spec?

RockChucker

Machining the ring gear side won't help tighten up that backlash, so I don't think that's the solution at all.

Is there any option of a thinner seal housing or anything weird like that? Leave the shim off that side despite the. 015 spec?
I think that would make the bearing drag on the seal housing if I remember correctly. However, I don’t understand why they didn’t just design the seal housing to be able to be run with 0 shims. Make the step where the shims seat .015” thicker…

Maybe you got standard gears that are labeled as thick on the box? Does the ring have x or xf stamped on the OD? I have these same gears but don’t need to get into my diff for anything otherwise I’d measure for you. I think I have a set of 4.56 in a box that I could measure. But likely would be quite different due to pinion diameter.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I think that would make the bearing drag on the seal housing if I remember correctly. However, I don’t understand why they didn’t just design the seal housing to be able to be run with 0 shims. Make the step where the shims seat .015” thicker…

Maybe you got standard gears that are labeled as thick on the box? Does the ring have x or xf stamped on the OD? I have these same gears but don’t need to get into my diff for anything otherwise I’d measure for you. I think I have a set of 4.56 in a box that I could measure. But likely would be quite different due to pinion diameter.
He's not .200" away from good backlash though, like a thin set of gears would be.

TJustin

Porch Dog
Supporting Member

All I have is the markings on the front of the pinion. I spun the ring gear around several times last night looking for any markings or numbers, and did not find anything.

Last edited:

TJustin

Porch Dog
Supporting Member
Thanks for the suggestions. Come to find out my calipers were inconsistent and changing measurements as much as .010 at times. I ended up having more room to work with than I had originally thought.

Side note, I’m needing new calipers. I like the Mitutoyo’s I used at a previous job. Any other brands to look into?

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
For setting up gears?
Nothing fancy as you don't need a huge level of accuracy like you might with machining.
I like cheap digital ones since I wreck them with engine oil measuring cam bucket shims about every 10th time.