ZJ conversion to WJ steering

JIMBOB

I'm thinking of replacing my steering system on my '96 zj because of death wobble problems. I can't spend the money on a high steer kit or anything like that. I picked up a heavy duty steering set up off a dodge ram truck for about 30 bucks from the junk yard that replaces the stock y shaped set up on my jeep with a lower tie rod connecting both wheels directly together. I plan to shorten it try using that. Another option I thought of was converting the whole thing to a WJ set up. I found one at the junk yard with the whole set still intact. Would the steering knuckles bolt straight over to my ZJ? would there be any brake issues I would need to know about?

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
WJ's are 5x5" bolt pattern but they will bolt up. JKS has a spacer to weld to the knuckle so you can switch back to the normal 5x4.5" pattern. also the width on a WJ front is about 3" more so you'll need to shorten the tie rod and draglink for it to work.

My opinion is it isn't worth all the work to polish a d30. Call up JCRoffroad.com order a 1ton steering setup and you'll spend less time and headache getting it all setup. most likely it will cost less also

At one time I had all the parts to do the conversion and have done tons of research on it, so if your heart is set on it I can send you links to do it but you will not be able to do it for much less than $250 even with all junkyard parts.

GOAT

Back from the beyond
I'm thinking of replacing my steering system on my '96 zj because of death wobble problems. I can't spend the money on a high steer kit or anything like that. I picked up a heavy duty steering set up off a dodge ram truck for about 30 bucks from the junk yard that replaces the stock y shaped set up on my jeep with a lower tie rod connecting both wheels directly together. I plan to shorten it try using that. Another option I thought of was converting the whole thing to a WJ set up. I found one at the junk yard with the whole set still intact. Would the steering knuckles bolt straight over to my ZJ? would there be any brake issues I would need to know about?

Sounds like you're getting way ahead of yourself. I would be certain that the steering linkage was responsible for DW before starting that project.