ZJ Dana 35, 3.73s OR ZJ rear axle brackets

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
Wondering if anyone has a ZJ D35 or aluminum D44 with the mounting brackets intact? My 3.73s are howling.

I have an aluminum D44 with 3.73s but the brackets were moved for a TJ and I don't think they would be sturdy enough to survive another move. So replacement brackets would be nice.

And, I have a 4.10 geared 8.25 I could use, with new brackets...

Let me know what you have... Thanks!

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Pretty sure I have an old 44a housing kicking around in storage that I used for extra parts awhile back, it was out of a 98 and the brackets are perfect. PM me if you can use it.

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
I thought the ZJ D44 I have was complete... Nope. Sooo, back to looking for a complete ZJ rear axle. 3.73s preferred but now will accept almost anything...

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member

And, I have a 4.10 geared 8.25 I could use, with new brackets...

This sounded to me like your best choice of the bunch... is it still an option?

I'd MUCH rather install that rear axle and re-gear the front to match than ever bother with a D35 or D44A...

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
This sounded to me like your best choice of the bunch... is it still an option?

I'd MUCH rather install that rear axle and re-gear the front to match than ever bother with a D35 or D44A...

I was trying to go the easy route with the ZJ D44. But, it is no longer an option. I have a the 29 spline 8.25 axle with 4.10s. I do plan to to go to 4.10s and 33 at a later time, but guess I will be doing that sooner than planned.

So, questions... I do have a 3.73 and up carrier for a D30, and I do have some used D30 4.10 gears for high pinion.

But, the threads on the pinion seem a bit munged, hoping someone might be able to clean these threads up? And still be safe to use...
Tube thickness, Ford 8.8 and Chrysler 8.25. Are they similar? I ask because I find lots of stock type brackets for 8.8s, and the best priced kit for brackets is from A&A , and I found install instructions from ECGS.
ZJ D35 and D44 share wheel bearings and seals and disk brakes. Does the 8.25 use the same bearings and seals and will my disk brakes work?

I have a bare HP D30 housing available, hoping I can get it soon. I do have a 1987 D30 with CAD, I could use if need be, using the knuckles and shafts from my existing low pinion housing. I could use that and blank off the CAD, but would rather have the bare housing to start with...

I Have my front driveshaft out anyway, just need to rebuild the double cardan joint. I also need to collect some pricey parts, the early knuckles off that 1987 housing are perfect for a big brake upgrade. And not the WJ Akebono swap, or anything from Vanco...

Oh, I did stop by Midnight 4x4 to look for brackets. But everything I would get would need to be modified to work in stockISH positions.

Last edited:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Usually the pinion has enough thread length to stick through the nut several threads. So you could grind off the end, or grind off just the mushroomed threads until you can get a nut on/off cleanly, then proceed as normal.

For future reference for anyone looking, this is why you don't hit the end of the pinion with a hammer to drive it out. (unless the gears are junk and you don't care...)

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
Man, that sounds like alot of work.
Yes, it is, some is work i put off and it's going to bite me, some is future polishing a turd... But it won't be any more than making a 1994 Explorer fit in a 1990 Ranger...

Usually the pinion has enough thread length to stick through the nut several threads. So you could grind off the end, or grind off just the mushroomed threads until you can get a nut on/off cleanly, then proceed as normal.

For future reference for anyone looking, this is why you don't hit the end of the pinion with a hammer to drive it out. (unless the gears are junk and you don't care...)

Thanks Carl, that is what I was looking to hear. Will try and clean the threads with a thread file first. But won't be afraid to trim some back if needed...

I still wonder if my D35 disk brakes will bolt on to the C8.25 without too much fab...

And for those with bucks wanting seriously better brakes on the D30, early D30 knuckles with SRT8 Grand Cherokee 6 piston calipers, nearly bolt in, and Mustang GT500 15" rotors... Wish I had another $1600 for those calipers... Here is the link for this info...

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
People usually swap discs from Liberty 8.25's but IIRC you can make ZJ 35's work too. I'm fine with drums on mine so I can't say for sure.