ZJ Disc brakes on a 8.8

Devel

Just an Outlaw....
anyone done this? looks like the center needs to be machined out but any machine shop wants to charge me $180, ive thought about cutting off part of the bracket off and welding it on to the axle.

any input would be great, thanks

PolarXJ

HO-P
I've seen it where they swap them onto the cyr8.25. The write-up had to increase the diameter of the center bit as well. He just used a barrel sander attached to his drill press.

OrvisKrawler

Captain Obvious
whats wrong with keeping the 8.8 disk brakes on the 8.8, or is it drum? if they are drum just get a rear disk setup off another 8.8 from a 99 or 00 explorer

grandmaster

Let the build Re-begin
I'm a bit confused on what your post is asking. But i swapped in my 8.8 and used the same brakes on it as were on my D35....had to change the brake pads to what an 8.8 uses but other then that it all worked just fine.

Devel

Just an Outlaw....
i have a Drum Brake 8.8 and for what ever reason the center hole is too small on the ZJ disc brake bracket for the 8.8 and a machine shop wants to charge me $180 to open it up to the correct diameter. i cant get a grinder in there my self so im considering cutting part of the bracket off, grinding the inside until it sits flush on the axle bolting it on then weld 2 small beads on each end to componsate for the missing bolt

OrvisKrawler

Captain Obvious
I would just go to the junk yard and pull the bracket off a 8.8 that has disks, that way it fits like it should and isnt sketchy

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I would just go to the junk yard and pull the bracket off a 8.8 that has disks, that way it fits like it should and isnt sketchy

boom.

I wish I knew what brakes were on the 8.8 I had in my old 93 ZJ, but it was already built for a ZJ when I bought it. I could find out if it's helpful to you.

Jeeperman

A.K.A. Eugene
x3 for junkyard 8.8 backing plates. The bolt holes for the ZJ backing plate won't line up with the 8.8. I just picked up some 8.8 disc brake backing plates from Terry's (over by Six States in Ogden) for 25 ish bucks a piece and threw the ZJ pads, rotors, and e-brake pads on.