ZJ front Driveshaft: Rookie question

RWH

Let's Roll For Justice
Alright i'm new to the ZJ thing and my front Driveshaft went out. CV failure, new one from dealer $600. So what i need to know is what parts am i going to need to convert the front shaft to a Double Cardon/ U-joint style shaft as apposed to the Double Cardon/CV style shaft. :cool:

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
you may be able to find the shaft in a yard but I'm not sure which years to tell you to look for. Both of my ZJ's are/were 95's, one came with the good shaft, the other had the shitty ass driveshaft.

I'm sure Tom Woods could help you out. If you tell him you saw his banner at Grand Slam West, I bet he'll give you a good deal. I used to have major driveshaft issues until I switched to TW shafts, since then they have performed flawlessly.

Cody

RWH

Let's Roll For Justice
i'm really looking for a how to sort of deal to convert the stupid thing.. I have no problem building my own shafts. :)

i've gotta do this fairly cheap... i'm already duming $300 in the rear left brake assemble because the emergency brake fell apart and jammed the rotor to a halt causing it to shatter and take the entire bracket and all the lines and ABS sensor with it... If that wasn't enough the damn thing stabbed into my rim and jabbed a big ole hole in it.... :mad:

Last edited:

Brett

Meat-Hippy
5DollerShake said:
i'm really looking for a how to sort of deal to convert the stupid thing.. I have no problem building my own shafts. :)

I'd hesitate on building your own shaft unless you can balance....or your have the NP242 case in your ZJ. Almost all of the ZJ's that I have seen use the NP249 case, so you're ALWAYS going to be using that front shaft during normal driving.

So, the question is, which do you have?

RWH

Let's Roll For Justice
249. I've no problem Balancing and building... I've built around 15 shafts Front and rear. never had a problem with vibes. The technique i've used thus far is pretty solid. ;)

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
The front driveshaft from TW is $299. TW's driveshafts are lifetime gauranteed. Literally the last driveline you will ever buy!

Be careful about the balancing.... Being only 1 oz off at freeway speeds is more like 15 lbs. That's enough to beat the he$$ out of your pinion or tc bearings.

fattodog

frame cracks= More flex!!
waynehartwig said:
The front driveshaft from TW is $299. TW's driveshafts are lifetime gauranteed. Literally the last driveline you will ever buy!

Be careful about the balancing.... Being only 1 oz off at freeway speeds is more like 15 lbs. That's enough to beat the he$$ out of your pinion or tc bearings.

I don't kow where you are getting this "lifetime" thing but, he will repair a TW driveshaft for $60, and sell you a brand new one for a good price! KENNETH !!

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
After re-reading my post, it does make the assumption that anything ever goes wrong and it's fixed at no charge, and that isn't the case. But there is no reason one of his drivelines won't last a lifetime with the level of quality he put's in his drivelines and routine maintanence....

His u joint is gauranteed for life. If it ever breaks, he will replace it and repair the damaged driveline for free.

If you hit your driveline on a rock and bust it, it's not covered unless you buy the trail hazard warranty. If you don't maintain your junk, it's not covered either.

Meat_

Banned
5DollerShake said:
249. I've no problem Balancing and building... I've built around 15 shafts Front and rear. never had a problem with vibes. The technique i've used thus far is pretty solid. ;)

Maybe you should tell the driveline shops about this so they don't keep buying driveline balancers for $30k a pop