ZJ/JK Rubicon 44 build.

Zombie

Random Dead Guy
I've seen a few more ZJs popping up here, so I figured I'd share. A few of you have met me, but I haven't wheeled with very many people here, cause my rig has been chronically broken. I've finally decided to do something about that. I've been close to a few different option, but I decided to go this way based on a series of compromises, and a few opportunities.
I'm going with JK Rubicon 44s, selectable locked front and rear. Stock JK takeoff wheels, and 33x12.5 Mickey T MTZs. I also did some research and decided to do clayton's hard arms at the same time. I wanted longarms, and a truss seems a whole lot easier than trying to line up everything for a stock style rear suspension.

Some extra background. I found info to indicate that the CA brackets on the front would work. I've seen guys install them with adjustable short arms, and a couple of radius arm setups as well. I have test fit the front with the clayton's crossmember assembled, and the arms did bolt up easy as pie. The rear axle I've know the whole time that I'd have to change EVERYTHING. My OEM rear axle is a AL44, and is worth a little bit to someone with a D35 ZJ, so I've decided to leave it alone to sell it. I'm planning to modify and re-use the front coil pads from the wasted Dana 30 to put on the rear axle. There are very few aftermarket options for spring perches that aren't really noisy. The stock pads keep things quiet, so I'll be going this way. I'll be moving the OEM JK front pads inward to line up bettwe with the upper coil position.

Anyway, I hope this might be informative for someone, and if anyone sees something I'm doing that is really stupid, feel free to point it out.

Thanks.

Build day 1: The UN-BUILD

Well, I did add something, but I removed a whole bunch.

The first thing I did was to swap spares.
tires_side_by_side.JPG

I’m replacing my 32x11.5x15 BFG AT ko’s on Eagle alloy wheels with Mickey Thompson Radial MTZs in 33x12.5x17 on OEM Jeep JK wheels.
Yeah, thats a 32
And thats JUST a 33
I knew the MTZ in this size ran big. With no load they measure about 33 1/16”. They look a little bigger than that next to the old 32” spare. I had been told that this tire wouldn’t fit in the stock spare location. It does. BARELY.
inhatch.JPG

Tight
Tighter
tightest

Then I started on more nitty gritty things.

I started with the rig on the ground. I removed the OEM skid plate, put a jack with a block of wood under the trans pan, and then removed the OEM cross member.
Then I chiseled a bunch of reddish black oily mud off the trans mount, and swept out underneath the jeep.
pileofmud.JPG

Stock Crossmembers

I put the new cross member up and in place for a test fit. I marked the edges where it would be welded to the unibody, and removed for surface prep. What a pain. Between the E-coat primer and the galvanizing on the metal my arms were very tired by the time I got both sides prepped. I used wire wheels and a polishing disk on my die grinder, not wanting to use grinding disks for fear of removing metal.
Cleaned and ready for welding
I took a break and then welded some practice pieces with an old dust pan and some 1/4" scrap to get the speed and voltage set right on the welder. I got it figured out at #3, and about 33 wire speed on my Millermatic 210 with .35 wire.

I took another break, and helmeted up to weld.

So my first experience welding directly to the unibody just HAD to be out of position. I had to stop several times to let my arms calm down, or let my back un-cramp from trying to hold myself in workable positions. I'm very happy with the result though. Well worth the pain of making sure I got it right. I did blow through the unibody in one spot, cause I set my shirt on fire, and got distracted for a second. I let it cool; wire wheeled it, and then filled the hole blending it into the rest of the weld. I just moved a touch faster on that part of it. Anyway, I got great penetration, and I'm really happy with the results.

Pics of the welds were shiny blurs. I'll try to get some additional pics.

So with the new cross member welded up, i moved to stripping the front axle and all old components out. I disco'd the sway bar and put it up and out of the way. I tried to unbolt the track bar at the axle end, but the bolt wouldn't come out. I unbolted it at the frame bracket, and removed the drag link from the pitman arm. I took the top nuts off the shocks, and took the calipers off the axles. I cut the ABS lines, and cut the diff vent line at the diff. Then I lowered the jack, and commenced the “Casting out of Satan”. Once the axle had drooped, I was able to remove the coil retainers, and slip the coils over the bump stop risers. It makes it SO much easier to remove the risers if the coil isn’t there. So with the axle out at full droop, I unbolted all the control arms at the chassis side, and pulled on the jack handle. I felt an immense wave of relief as the cursed Dana 30 slid from beneath my jeep.
I took a picture of the D30.
castingoutsatan.JPG

Then I took another picture of me flipping it off.
TRUTH

I started removing things from the 30. All the CA’s came off just fine. These are already sold to a friend of mine, so I’ve been nice to them. Shocks came off fine. Steering linkage separated fine (again, sold to the same friend as an upgrade to his stock TJ linkage). The track bar wouldn’t come off. I planned to remove the coil perches anyway to re-use on the new rear axle, so out came the plasma and I started torching. One I had the track bar bracket off, I put it in a vice to try to get it apart. It turned out that the bolt had seized into the sleeve in the bushing. I used a sawzall to chop off the bolt and bushing, and get the assembly apart. I’m not sure I can get just the sleeve, I might have to order a whole bushing from Rubicon Express, but no biggie. The bushing material itself is just fine, so I might explore some other local options for the sleeve.

And here is where I ran out of time. I tied the calipers up to the chassis, cleaned up the work space and left the jeep alone, and rather strange looking. I had a ton of yard work to do on Sunday, and a ton of family commitments on Monday. I’m hoping to get into it again tonight.
endofday1.JPG

The good from Day 1: Clayton’s cross member installed and welded very well. Welds came out better than I had expected, but took a lot of time thanks to having to stop for rests due to the awkward positions I had to use. Dana 30 removed very well (like it had a choice). I got a decent amount done in 4 hours.
The bad from day 1: The hole in my shirt. That’s what I get for wearing one of my favorite T shirts while welding. I also burned the crap out of my middle knuckle on my left hand. I did that pushing myself out from under the thing when my shirt caught on fire, and I got a back and leg cramp at the same time. Oh well… just weakness leaving the body, right? I count the wasted bushing sleeve and track bar bolt among the bad. These were just disappointing. The most annoying bad is a 15MM impact socket that slipped into the unibody rail when I was unbolting the front uppers. I tried to retrieve it with a magnet tool. I failed. I’ll try again tonight probably. I can buy a new one, but I’m afraid it will settle somewhere under my seat and rattle like hell if I leave it in there. I didn’t have as much time as I wanted to work on it.

Next steps: Measure Dana 30. Find center, and measure spring pad distance from center. I already cut off one of the pads, so I’ll just go this way. Once I have this, I’ll figure out if and how much the JK D44’s coil pads need to move. I’ll also make the truss for the long side of the D44. If things go really well, I might get it under the jeep. I’m not counting on this step. I might pop it in for a mock up to see how the coils sit, and then remove for the truss. I’ve read enough problems with the long side tube for the 07 build years not to add some support to that side even though my axle is an 08 and supposedly stronger.

Last edited:

Zombie

Random Dead Guy
Day2: One little Victory.

Not too much to report from Day 2. I was able to retrieve the 15mm impact socket out of the unibody tube. I also got the old D30 further broken down. I pulled the shafts and unit bearings to give to a friend of mine as spares. I measured out the center of the axle, and marked it, then measured to the center of the coil bucket. 17" from centerline, so the center of the buckets is 34” apart. Then I measured the new D44 and found that they are 39.75” apart. If I moved the buckets in that far, I wouldn’t have space to weld the driver side bucket because it would be too close to the diff. I’m planning to move them in 2” per side, so I’ll end up with a bucket space of 35.75”. The stock coils appear to have a slight inward curve toward the bottom anyway. I’ve seen broncos set up with the axle buckets wider than the frame buckets, and they work very well. I’ve got more than enough coil height to distribute this amount of difference.
Then I cut the last remaining coil bucket off the Dana 30. I dragged the empty and defeated Dana 30 to it’s place of shame, where it waits for me cut the tubes off the diff, strip the pumpkin, and weld up the pinion and axle tube holes. Then I’ll clean the pumpkin, and pee in it. Then I’ll clean it again, and use it as a flower pot. Then I’ll have the worlds best functioning and most reliable Dana 30. Yippy.

No pics tonight… nothing much happened that was worth seeing.

Next steps: Move the coil buckets and truss the long side of the D44. Then I should be able to install it, if nothing else, just to get the jeep off the jack stands. I might not get to play with it till this weekend… I’m not sure yet.

Zombie

Random Dead Guy
Day 3: Progress
The front axle is in.
I started by setting up the axle where the spring buckets were dead level.
jkstock.JPG

I had already scribed where the coil buckets needed to sit, so I checked out the shock perches. They finally got smart on the JK... no bar pins. I figured if I need to move the shock brackets, I'd do it with the coil perches off for easier acess.
padlineup1.JPG

With the stock ZH front pad held over right where the relocated JK pad would sit, the shock will be outboarded by about 1/2". The stock JK shock brackets stayed on.
I pulled the shafts out for cutting and welding on the axle.
I figured I'd snap some ghetto pics of the short side shafts for comparison.
axlessidebyside.JPG

Yeah... getting rid of the turdy was a good move.
On test fit for the coil pads I noticed that the new location would limit my access to the track bar bracket. I cut a little notch for wrench access.
trackbarnotch.JPG

Then I burned in the coil pads in their new location.
padweld.JPG

Then I worked a bit, swore a lot and didn't take any pictures till after dark.
The jeep is sitting back on it's own tires. The picture sitting on the 33s turned out to be mostly a ghostly orange glare from the reflector near the turn signal. I need to clean the lens on the camera.
Day 4 was a couple of hours, so I'm just going to include it in day 3... The axle is centered using a ratchet strap, and the first annoying complication hit. The RE ZJ track bar is too long. My options are to shorten the bar, or change the upper bracket. I understand that longer is generally thought of as better, so I'll probably end up re-doing the upper bracket (AGAIN).
I don't have steering in it yet. I'll probably put the steering in and then run some string to see what is going to keep me the most parallel.

Learning: When you step into a cluttered area, and it feels like something is cutting into your leg, it probably is. I have a few nice gashes on my right shin from a camp saw that was hiding behind a box of woodworking tools.

Next steps: scrapped upon further review

Last edited:

xjshorty21

Buckle Up And Shut Up
i am excited to see it get some pictures up i have been thinking to do this to my xj if i may ask how much did the axle cost and where did you get them

Zombie

Random Dead Guy
Thanks for the feedback guys. I ordered the steering today, and I'll pick it up tomorrow. Does anyone have a knuckle reamer I can rent? I need to enlarge my pitman arm's hole for the KJ steering.

I'll have to shorten the drag link, the TRE on the drag link, and the adjuster to make it fit. I have measurements from one of the three other guys who has done this, and I'll confirm on my rig before I cut. Once the steering is in I'll pull some string to find a paralell position, and see what I need to do. I have pretty tight clearance between my track bar bracket, the driver side coil, and the sway bar and end link. I'm hoping I don't have to completely re-do the trackbar bracket, cause it's a pain in the butt and I'm lazy.

I'm not allowed to disclose my prices, but I bought the axles, steering, wheels and tires from Josh at Larry H Miller Jeep. I used to work there, and Josh has been a good friend for years. IIRC< it was Josh that got U4 into that building for meetings. IIRC, Miller Jeep also offers discounts for U4 members. (Yeah... I know... I'm pimping U4, and I still need to pay my renewal... I'm tryign to make up for being slow/busy/lazy).

I bought all my RE stuff from Wayne Hartwig, and I would have bought my clayton's stuff from him, but he didn't sell it, so I went elsewhere.

Zombie

Random Dead Guy
Day 4.1 A Tie Rod. WOW.
I picked up my steering from the dealership. I went with OEM JK stuff, and at this point I'm gad I did. The TREs are MUCH bigger than the stock ZJ stuff, probably not one ton, but I'm on 33's with Dana 44s... I need to pull my pitman arm and ream it out (but going with the JK steering, that’s the only thing I need to change).
To get the pitman arm off, I'll have to pull my skid plate. At that point, I'll take a good long look at the lower radiator support and decide whether to replace it or not. I'll also probably make a steering box brace at the same time. I figure while I'm under there I might as well do what I need to. This could lead to a replacement lower radiator support, which would change the bumper... and it never ends....
No pics.. nothing exciting, but I did update day 3/4.0

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I think this is going to be a much better swap than the Dana 60's, good call on keeping the ZJ balanced! I like how you're upgrading the suspension along with the axles, looks like you really thought this out. It's cool to see someone using new JK axles in an older Jeep. :greg:

Zombie

Random Dead Guy
Thanks for the comments... As far as upgrading the suspension, not only did I WANT long arms, but they made it easier to do this swap. Welding on a truss just seems SO much easier than lining up the OEM style upper tabs, and a track bar tab...

I'm hoping to get to spend some time on it sunday.

RockChucker

this is sounding to be an awesome project. i thought that jk axles would be sweet to b/c they are not quite full width and all, but i don't have the know how of setting up axle brackets like you do. good work and lets see some more pics!

Zombie

Random Dead Guy
Day 5: Reinforcements

The one thing I wasn’t completely satisfied with on the Clayton’s kit was the rear axle truss control arm tabs. They were welded on with near perfect welds, but all of that leverage was focused on the ears welded to the truss, over a very small space. I know hundreds of people run them, and I’ve never heard a complaint about the ears breaking or tearing off, but I decided I would gusset them.
I took a set of Johnny joints and installed them in the ears. Then I started playing with cardboard. I made a gusset that will spread the side loading into a much larger section of tube, triangulate the ears together, and allow WAY more movement from the joints than I will ever use.
templateback.JPG

I made sure I could swing the joints both ways with no interference from the gusset, including the grease fittings.
gusset_template.JPG

Then I transferred the template to some ¼” plate, spent some time with the plasma cutter, cleaned them up a little, and burned them in.
I know it isn’t perfect or symmetrical, but it will do the job, and be tucked up under the jeep.
gussetburned.JPG

Then I did a lot of measuring, and removed the sliders (which was quite an adventure). I ended up having to grind the heads off the 11 bolts per pinch weld I had used. I think I’ll find another plan for sliders once the long arms are on.

Other than that, I took some pics…
Here is a Clayton’s Hard Arm on a JK 44 with stock JK mounts…
claytonsarm_jk.JPG

Here is a decent shot of the front quarter with the new axle (pre slider removal)
frontquarter.JPG

And the shot I call “getting there”
sideview.JPG

Zombie

Random Dead Guy
My digital Camera crapped the bed, so I don't have pics but the rear axle is in. All the hard stuff is done at this point.
On the downside, I broke my autozone pitman arm puller trying to get my pitman arm off. It was brand new, and will be going back to the store.
It's nice to see the jeep sitting on four matching tires again, and I really like the look of the wheel and tire combo. I can't wait to drive it now.
Wheelbase finished at 108.5" I need to notch the gas tank skid...