ZJ questions???

heinz

I found a 96 ZJ with 145K miles on it and wondering what you ZJ gurus thought. The guy selling it bought it 6 months ago and knows nothing about it. (major repairs, etc) It has the V8, automatic trans, full time case (q-trac I believe) looks like a 44 in the rear, stock suspension, pretty clean in & out for a 96.
What should I look for? What problems do these jeeps have? I think a 231 case swap is pretty easy?? Any info would be great. Oh ya, I can pick it up for $1000. Good deal ????? Thanks.

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Depending on service history it could be a ticking time bomb, those aluminum 44 rears were very prone to issues and the transmissions were crap as well. But if it has good service history it may be worth it, otherwise I would keep looking. I could go on but google answers all.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
231 swap is easy, albeit not that necessary. The 96 and newer 249's had a locking center diff and can be run without a front driveshaft in a pinch. If the 249 takes a dive, then a 231/242/241 are all options. Other than that, like was already said, if it was well cared for they can last for quite a while.