ZJ rear axle in TJ?

utjeep.roc

ROCK ON
I found a Dana 44 in a 96 ZJ that I can have. I want to put it under my 97 TJ with a 35, will this 44 bolt up with out any mods? The 44 also has disc brakes what do I need to make this swap happen?
Thanks

Caleb

well, I dontknow the specifics with ZJs but if its the D44A (aluminum) then it prolly isn;t worth the upgrade, especially if you have to pay anything for it...

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
yup, aluminum 44 center section. no lockers, no gears (or hardly any gears) no fun.

don't waste your time.

utjeep.roc

ROCK ON
Okay, you guys are right!!

I checked the internet and found all the same answers. That sucks. I thought I found a good free dana 44, but its junk. I got some 36" super swampers in my garage that I bought from MacsFamily and I need a stronger axle before I put them on. Any ideas for a good swap, 8.8, 44, or any thing stronger than the 35.
Thanks everyone,
Matt

Caleb

utjeep.roc said:
I checked the internet and found all the same answers. That sucks. I thought I found a good free dana 44, but its junk. I got some 36" super swampers in my garage that I bought from MacsFamily and I need a stronger axle before I put them on. Any ideas for a good swap, 8.8, 44, or any thing stronger than the 35.
Thanks everyone,
Matt

look for my post in chit chat about D44 axles...you could swap front and rear if youwanted to...

utjeep.roc

ROCK ON
I'd have to check but I'm pretty sure it has the 242 all time 4 wheel. If you want it I'll ask her about it. Some time around Dec. 18th it'll be gone so let me know.

95jeepgrndchke

utjeep.roc said:
I'd have to check but I'm pretty sure it has the 242 all time 4 wheel. If you want it I'll ask her about it. Some time around Dec. 18th it'll be gone so let me know.
Yeah if you think she wouldnt mind that would be awsome, you can tell by looking at the shift plate what one it is becuase the NP249 is the full-time and that is what i have now and it slips:( but if she has the 242 (selecta-trac) or the 231 either would be great. What year is it and what engine? just seeing so i know if it is gonna take a whole weekend :)