Zombie Preparedness

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
With the swine flu close to mutating into a zombie making epidemic, I found this website very helpful:rofl: I just saw Zombie land which made me research this a little, what do you guys think would eb the besyt zombie proof vehicle for means of escape/ travel?

http://ww2.zombieinitiative.org/node/2279

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I think the Army's failed project of the TC-497 Overland Train Mark II 'Overland Train' would be pretty badass..

The Mark II had a much larger six-wheeled cab that was over 30 feet tall and was no longer articulated due to the ability for all the wheels to be steered. The turbine engine was much smaller than the diesel it replaced, allowing the interior to support a crew of six with sleeping quarters, toilets and a galley. It was even equipped with a radar. An additional two power cars and ten cargo cars were built for testing. In total the train now stretched over 570 feet. On flat ground it could carry 150 tons of cargo at about 20 mph. Range at full load was normally 350 to 400 miles, but additional fuel trailers could be added to extend it.

7875da66e4ed104b_large

letourneauoverlandtrainhu5.jpg

Last edited:

utahluge

Finally Got My Truck!!
Take your pick:
1. Completely armored civilian vehicle.
2. Armored semi truck
3. Bite-size tank (fit through buildings easier, plus it fits in the garage!)
4. Backyard "weld-it-quick cuz we gotta get out of here!"

Edit: Found a pic I was searching for.

Attachments

• Zombie-1.jpg
    Zombie-1.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Zombie-2.jpg
    Zombie-2.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 95
  • Zombie-3.jpg
    Zombie-3.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Zombie-4.jpg
    Zombie-4.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
They key is long term self-survivability... Off the grid IMO would be the best solution, but you'll also need to be setup to defend yourself.. More-so against rouge land pirates looking for food and fuel..

Overland Train, heavily armed, and stocked for years of supplies.. Not likely, but it would be really cool. :) The engine/control locomotive is still in Yuma.. Wonder how much work it needs to get going..

Last edited:

Amy

Limited Supply Of Sanity
I definently think a front plow on a large scale is important.

Becuase of the "Dead Bodies Everywhere"

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I'm with Jason. The land train would be the way to go.
In any post-apocolyptic situation self sufficiency and mobility are key. You need to be able to haul what you need and move regularly. Unless you have the backing and resources of an entire town (one that is capable of sustaining itself as well), you have to be able to go to where the food/fuel/safety is.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I think the best plan would be to have a armored up truck with a plow type front to mow through the zombies and non zombies alike. This truck would then allow you to get out of the city and too a stashed dirt bike at a single track type trail to get to the boonies. The issue I have is what type of ram/ plow front. I almost prefer the flat 1/2 thick plate that could ram bodies and cause maximum impact damage. The v shaped blade would just ramp the zombies to the side of the truck where they could grab on and cause more damage

utahluge

Finally Got My Truck!!
The v shaped blade would just ramp the zombies to the side of the truck where they could grab on and cause more damage
Sounds like you need one of these mounted to the front of the truck! Maybe a little more aggressive blades and a larger shoot? Kill them and move them out of the way!

Attachments

• snow_blower3.jpg
    snow_blower3.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 4

Zombie

Random Dead Guy
Sounds like you need one of these mounted to the front of the truck! Maybe a little more aggressive blades and a larger shoot? Kill them and move them out of the way!

I'll take one of those on a black escalade with a 3 on the door, and a cowboy hat, please!

Jeremy

total tacoma points: 162
how do zombies react to crossing water? i cant imagine they can swim. but can they drown? i have always liked the idea of finding an island in the middle of a lake (antelope isl.) and setting up camp there. one (land) way in and out. as long as the water is high.have a couple boats ready if they break down the defences protecting the road. a snow plow for a recon vehicle. something that can clear the highway at high speeds to head into town to search for suplies. there is a decent supply of food, if you like bison. maybe build a large still to desalinate the water for drinking. (not sure if that even works. but in my mind it would)

this all depends on how they deal with water.

Zombie

Random Dead Guy
[uber nerd mode]
First we need to define Zombies: Traditional Zombies (referred to as REAL zombies for this discussion) are reanimated corpses. They have no requirement for oxygen or water, or any food other then brains and flesh, which the reanimating agent (most often a virus) causes the corpses to crave. Real zombies would only be “fast” for the first day or so following reanimation, after which time, muscle decomposition and rigor mortise would cause the characteristic “Zombie Shuffle”. Real zombies would have no trouble reaching an island. According to leading zombie researchers, many small outbreaks of Zombies are caused when a zombie that has been wondering around on the ocean floor makes its way to a beach and bites someone. The only water defense that would be practical against real zombies would be a fast moving, waist deep stream with significant enough volume to knock down a less than average coordinated human. The current would then have to be swift enough to carry the corpse a significant distance downstream.
Another type of creature has appeared in recent fiction, which has been mistaken for zombies, but they aren’t. In the film “I Am Legend”, infected humans were presented (they were actually more like the traditional definition of vampires). These were mistaken for zombies, but were alive, and in this case had accelerated heart rate and breathing. Zombies have neither. In “28 days Later” and it’s sequels, infected humans were again presented in a Zombie movie type scenario, but they were not zombies, they were just infected humans that were really REALLY pissed off.
For these infected human situations, they would have as much trouble crossing water as a normal human, but without the reasoning and problem solving abilities required to use a boat.
Yeah… I know… [/uber nerd mode]

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
As far as the water theories go, i've thought of a well stocked houseboat.. Maybe connected to a portion of a barge too.. Just for more walking and storage space..

Long term Lake Powell trip...