Best platform for street legal crawler

Paulie

Ok, I want to build a crawler, friends are running cj7's, 8's wranglers and cherokees with a minimum of 38's. So I would like to join them, but i would like it to be street legal, now I live in Wyoming so we can get away with alot, no smog and really no inspection except it must have a vin number otherwise I would just build a tube frame buggy. I do need to be able to take 4 people as I have two kids.

So, I was thinking maybe a cj7 would be a good starting point, I will plan on swapping axles unless I can find a good deal on something with 60's or better under it.

What is your opinion of the best platform on which to build?

I cant spend a ton so keep that in mind.

thanks
Paul

Coco

My dad owns a cj7, and we have been able to take 5 people on the trails with him. I would say that a cj 7 would work well. also cherokees would be great too.

If you take your time, and do it right, you could pull it off well. Heck, if you wanted, you could probably even do a sami, that has a rear seat.:greg:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I cant spend a ton so keep that in mind.

That's what you'll need to determine first. Then you'll need to determine what kind of trails you want to run.

If you're running with guys with 38" tires and they actually need them, you may be better off looking for someones abandoned project or something. You could get almost exactly what you want for $7-10K and do some finishing work on it. There are some deals out there, you just have to look for them.

Personally, I like frames and one ton axles to run 37" or greater tires.

Caleb

Personally, I like frames and one ton axles to run 37" or greater tires.

yep, and these problems generally rule out CJs and Cherokees right off the bat (IMO). CJs have frames but a lot are weak c channel and even the later ones with mostly boxed are usually quite rusted. Start with a wrangler if you want to go that route, you'll get a generally stronger frame and most likely (depending on the year) fuel injection stock. You can also pick up a clean wrangler much cheaper than you can pick up a clean CJ7. CJs do have the cool factor though ;)

Paulie

I could get away with spending 7-10k, but for that amount want something with the bigger axles, like dana 60's at minimum, dont really care about the body so much, I can fix most of that but want a good base to start with. The street legal part is just so we can drive to some of the local spots, probably trailer it to moab as I have a motorhome.

I have a very nice sandrail and that is my biggest addiction, just wanting something I can play with some local friends with and have some fun on the rocks.

I have thought about a 80's wrangler and then putting some 60's under it and a small block chevy in it with a 700r4 tranny.

Anyway, I appreciate the input and look forward to some more input.

Thanks
Paul

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I could get away with spending 7-10k, but for that amount want something with the bigger axles, like dana 60's at minimum, dont really care about the body so much, I can fix most of that but want a good base to start with. The street legal part is just so we can drive to some of the local spots, probably trailer it to moab as I have a motorhome.

I have a very nice sandrail and that is my biggest addiction, just wanting something I can play with some local friends with and have some fun on the rocks.

I have thought about a 80's wrangler and then putting some 60's under it and a small block chevy in it with a 700r4 tranny.

Anyway, I appreciate the input and look forward to some more input.

Thanks
Paul

You're basicly describing my 'Jeep'.

pretipoverchallengehells.jpg

It's mostly a Chev powertrain (other than the transfer case), one ton axles and NO FRILLS (yet). I'm going away from the SX tires, for something a little more 'streetable', but still trailworthy. The YJ tub is VERY similar to the CJ tub and you can add CJ7 hood/fenders fairly easily if you're going for that look.

krazz1e

street legal crawler? ha! good luck. there is a fine line there.

you need to determine if you are looking at a crawler or just some expedition type wheeling. To do 38"+ on any rig for crawling takes alot of $ & work if you actually wheel it.

You can get away with some nice rigs with 35's though and it will be pretty capable but I wouldn't expect to run 5+ trails all day long. 4's and the occasional 5 on the moab scale

Road manners you sacrifice offroad performance and visa versus. fact of the sport IMO.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Not completely true... I drive a rig on the road with 39's, 1 ton and stretch and occasionally pull my camp trailer with it. It will drive 70 all day long, with the cruise and air on. So it can be done! :D

I'm with everyone else.. .Get a Wrangler, either a YJ or TJ. See if you can find one with a salvage title (if you plan on completely ripping it apart to build your new rig and have no intentions on selling it next year).

Paulie

I am not looking for a daily driver, but would like to be able to drive to some of the local spots. I had a TJ with long arm lift and 35's, it was pretty capable but I was always so nervous about destroying the body on some of the stuff my friends go on. I felt I needed at least 37's to do some of the trails they do.

I hope that explains the street legal deal, oh and being in Wyoming makes it much easier. Basically if I have something that has a title and vin on the vehicle I can make it street legal. It needs brake lights and headlights and turn signals, but I only need to have a vin inspection to get it titled.

I dont have to deal with any Utah regs.

Bart

I have a friend with with an 88YJ. He used to compete in it (early UROC and ARCA) but has used it for a trail rig the last 5 years. He just bought JK and now wants to sell this. It's got some body damage but a clean title. Has a Tera 60R rear axle, reverse cut 44 front with alloys and CTMs, ARBs. Mopar (Hesco) injection on a ported and polished 4.0 head on 4.2 block. Tera low with 2wd low, SM465 tranny. Too many other things to mention, lots of custom aluminum work. It had 37s but now has almost new 35s on Trailready beadlocks and a matching spare. If you'd like more info I can send you full details and pics. It sounds about like exactly what you're looking for. He wants $8000 because he can part it out for that, but would consider offers.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I have a friend with with an 88YJ. He used to compete in it (early UROC and ARCA) but has used it for a trail rig the last 5 years. He just bought JK and now wants to sell this. It's got some body damage but a clean title. Has a Tera 60R rear axle, reverse cut 44 front with alloys and CTMs, ARBs. Mopar (Hesco) injection on a ported and polished 4.0 head on 4.2 block. Tera low with 2wd low, SM465 tranny. Too many other things to mention, lots of custom aluminum work. It had 37s but now has almost new 35s on Trailready beadlocks and a matching spare. If you'd like more info I can send you full details and pics. It sounds about like exactly what you're looking for. He wants $8000 because he can part it out for that, but would consider offers.

Shoot, this sounds like the deal right here! :hickey: Worst case, sell the D44 and put in a D60 for your 38's. :greg:

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
You could always go with a older Blazer or Bronco. Their stock axles are up to 38's if your nice and they have enough room for friends, etc.

4554x4

always modifing something
x2 ON THE BLAZER OR BRONCO

You could always go with a older Blazer or Bronco. Their stock axles are up to 38's if your nice and they have enough room for friends, etc.
For your budget, you could build a trail worthy blazer or bronco big enough for the family. look on ksl.com under classifieds. There is more than one blazer in there now. Go with 1987 to 91. You will have fuel injection with those. You can easily swap to a 14 bolt rear and a 60 front. They are nearly a bolt in project. You can build a doubler t-case setup to turn the 38'' tires.

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
I saw one there that was built and they were asking about 6K. If I was not nutz deep in a Cj project I'd buy it.

krazz1e

Not completely true... I drive a rig on the road with 39's, 1 ton and stretch and occasionally pull my camp trailer with it. It will drive 70 all day long, with the cruise and air on. So it can be done! :D

I'm with everyone else.. .Get a Wrangler, either a YJ or TJ. See if you can find one with a salvage title (if you plan on completely ripping it apart to build your new rig and have no intentions on selling it next year).

There's a point in the trail where you have no choice but to put it on it's side and drive denting your doors.. you committed or not?