‘96 Grand Cherokee 5.2 into a CJ???

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
I have a totally stock and running 96 ZJ with the 5.2 V8 at my disposal. How’s the swap potential of it and the auto trans into my 86 CJ7? The CJ already has a 4.0lL swap, stock TF999, D300, and a intank YJ fuel pump. TIA

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I have to think it's unlikely to be the most cost-effective swap (even having the ZJ already), it's far from the best HP per dollar option, and it probably isn't a common enough swap to have much documented about wiring and whatnot, but if you're down to try it, I'm down to follow along! The transmission length may be an issue with your driveshaft length, but lots of variables will affect that. From what I know the later ZJ V8s are at least reliable-ish? At least it's not a WJ 4.7!

Are you unhapy with the 4.0 currently in the CJ?

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I assume 42RE trans? That seems like a step backwards from a 999 and a 300. I also don’t know that the power gains would be worthwhile but thats just IMO.

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
I’d keep the 300 if possible. Turning 37” and 4.88 gears isn’t too bad around town but I would love more power and an overdrive.

I’m trying to figure out if this would be better than a stroker and a AW4 swap. Fortunately it’s stretch so I have more drive shaft in the rear.

85CUCVKRAWLER

the 5.2L has the mopar bell housing pattern. So youre stuck with that era of transmissions from Chrysler (bleh). Then youre stuck with jeep only transferases or buy an adapter to something else.

This is one of the many reasons most people do the LS swap as they have the standard chevy v8 bell housing pattern that fits most modern and ancient transmissions used by us off-road people.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
the 5.2L has the mopar bell housing pattern. So youre stuck with that era of transmissions from Chrysler (bleh). Then youre stuck with jeep only transferases or buy an adapter to something else.

This is one of the many reasons most people do the LS swap as they have the standard chevy v8 bell housing pattern that fits most modern and ancient transmissions used by us off-road people.

Matched powertrain is a good thing in my opinion. Let the engineers be smarter than you think you are (unless you really are smarterer). I think your 300 is matched to the power output of 4.0L and TF999. I'd keep it that way.

I see the ZJ powertrain swap as a stumble just because of the "meh" transmission. 5.2 or 5.9 is a solid as almost anything powerplant. 231 case is easily adapted and used in half ton trucks if I'm not mistaken.

For the $, I'd swap to an "LS" or "LT" powertrain with an appropriate transfer case

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
300 will easily handle the power of a 5.2
Especially with a 32 spline hd output
231c is still driver drop in the ifs chev 1500s.
I'd go for it. 42re isn't half as bad a people make it out to be and can be built up. Plus it's a 4 speed. A huge upgrade from a 3 speed tf999.
Tons of them in ZJs, TJs and KJs. People run them hot and that cooks them... same as anything.

A 5.2 is physically shorter than a 4.0.
And the change to a 5.9 later wouldn't be so bad.
I personally love that motor. I put 415k miles on a Magnum (46re admittedly)

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
300 will easily handle the power of a 5.2
Especially with a 32 spline hd output
231c is still driver drop in the ifs chev 1500s.
I'd go for it. 42re isn't half as bad a people make it out to be and can be built up. Plus it's a 4 speed. A huge upgrade from a 3 speed tf999.
Tons of them in ZJs, TJs and KJs. People run them hot and that cooks them... same as anything.

A 5.2 is physically shorter than a 4.0.
And the change to a 5.9 later wouldn't be so bad.
I personally love that motor. I put 415k miles on a Magnum (46re admittedly)

If he's in a CJ, he'll be passenger drop. I don't know of any 23 spline options other than the D300 for that? Maybe a Dana 20?