“Nobody is a pro their first time”- The learning-a-new-skill thread

STAG

On my grind
Dedicating a thread to those of you who may be attempting a new skill or hobby for their first time. Obviously no one is a pro their first time doing something, so this is a shameless thread geared towards absolute noobs.

My first submission; leatherwork. I have always had an itch for learning automotive leatherwork. Like custom upholstery. I appreciate a nice leather interior (love me some King Ranch 🤤)

I have no interest whatsoever in leatherwork outside of the automotive interior realm, like wallets, bags, holsters etc. my interest is purely automotive.

That being said, I watched a few YouTube videos on leatherwork, and ordered a few tools off Amazon, and gave it a shot. Aside from a few memories of my dad doing leatherwork (bags and mountainman rendezvous stuff) when I was a kid, I have no leatherwork experience at all (it will show 😅)

I decided to start with what I thought would be easy; a leather wrapped gearshift knob. One seam, and the ends would be hidden by metal caps.

I created a design in Fusion360, and 3D printed out some bodies, with the intent that if the main body turned out well then I would machine the caps out of metal instead of just the plastic.

Top cap with the gear pattern would be held in by an M5 screw through the middle, while I modeled in an M10x1.5 thread through the bottom. Basically copying a Cummins 6spd shift knob.
B81FBF69-C695-4F73-8223-C61BB226DE03.jpeg

BAC95EC3-8EF6-4BCC-84F7-3B427A31022A.jpeg
I also used Fusion360 to create a 2D pattern of the outer surface. Come to find out that my method of making the pattern wasn’t perfectly accurate, that will show up later.

But I ordered the cheapest piece of leather that Amazon had, and cut out a patterned piece.

85BFC649-E4FD-489B-B3A1-B624BB5535D9.jpeg

Then punched some stitching holes and attempted a baseball stitch. Wild how much thread it takes to do something like this. There’s over 6 feet of thread here to stitch up for this little shift knob.

Granted in the YouTube videos I watched, they recommend tightening as you go with each stitch, however in practice I determined it was easier for me to loosely stitch up at first and then go back and tighten up each stitch by pulling on the thread above it, like tightening up shoelaces.

69E01D5F-4E3A-4480-9E66-ACFE845D0B01.jpeg
1st tighten
486E69B3-F51E-4831-A60C-5FD2286D025D.jpeg
Final tighten
C00D6E58-6818-4E28-AE2F-FFC95C9DA342.jpeg

And then this is where it all went downhill. I realize that I had no idea how to make the top look good.

It doesn’t look too terrible if you look at only the sides 😁
A60D8B37-EA0C-4A12-A11D-ABB9BB3AC735.jpeg
DF4DC86E-F557-4938-953A-B9308D480FA7.jpeg

However the top is a complete abomination. About halfway through doing what I was doing I realized that it wasn’t going to turn out good so at this point the part was junk and I just figured slap it together anyways cuz it was no good.
DBF6B159-4368-4656-A1D3-60C3EDC3C1AC.jpeg

And for poops and chuckles I tossed the top piece in.

597C0D8E-5304-4FB0-A3A6-238CA749305D.jpeg
Learned a few things from this piece, and will redesign and make another attempt at another leatherwork project, maybe another shift knob, but differently shaped and designed.

Maybe with some shape tweaks of the original pattern, this could have turned out decent on the top, but I gotta learn more skills first.

In the famous words of @zmotorsports, “Thanks for looking”

And feel free to post up any of your newly acquired skills or hobbies.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Dedicating a thread to those of you who may be attempting a new skill or hobby for their first time. Obviously no one is a pro their first time doing something, so this is a shameless thread geared towards absolute noobs.

My first submission; leatherwork. I have always had an itch for learning automotive leatherwork. Like custom upholstery. I appreciate a nice leather interior (love me some King Ranch 🤤)

I have no interest whatsoever in leatherwork outside of the automotive interior realm, like wallets, bags, holsters etc. my interest is purely automotive.

That being said, I watched a few YouTube videos on leatherwork, and ordered a few tools off Amazon, and gave it a shot. Aside from a few memories of my dad doing leatherwork (bags and mountainman rendezvous stuff) when I was a kid, I have no leatherwork experience at all (it will show 😅)

I decided to start with what I thought would be easy; a leather wrapped gearshift knob. One seam, and the ends would be hidden by metal caps.

I created a design in Fusion360, and 3D printed out some bodies, with the intent that if the main body turned out well then I would machine the caps out of metal instead of just the plastic.

Top cap with the gear pattern would be held in by an M5 screw through the middle, while I modeled in an M10x1.5 thread through the bottom. Basically copying a Cummins 6spd shift knob.
View attachment 172477

View attachment 172478
I also used Fusion360 to create a 2D pattern of the outer surface. Come to find out that my method of making the pattern wasn’t perfectly accurate, that will show up later.

But I ordered the cheapest piece of leather that Amazon had, and cut out a patterned piece.

View attachment 172480

Then punched some stitching holes and attempted a baseball stitch. Wild how much thread it takes to do something like this. There’s over 6 feet of thread here to stitch up for this little shift knob.

Granted in the YouTube videos I watched, they recommend tightening as you go with each stitch, however in practice I determined it was easier for me to loosely stitch up at first and then go back and tighten up each stitch by pulling on the thread above it, like tightening up shoelaces.

View attachment 172486
1st tighten
View attachment 172481
Final tighten
View attachment 172482

And then this is where it all went downhill. I realize that I had no idea how to make the top look good.

It doesn’t look too terrible if you look at only the sides 😁
View attachment 172483
View attachment 172484

However the top is a complete abomination. About halfway through doing what I was doing I realized that it wasn’t going to turn out good so at this point the part was junk and I just figured slap it together anyways cuz it was no good.
View attachment 172485

And for poops and chuckles I tossed the top piece in.

View attachment 172488
Learned a few things from this piece, and will redesign and make another attempt at another leatherwork project, maybe another shift knob, but differently shaped and designed.

Maybe with some shape tweaks of the original pattern, this could have turned out decent on the top, but I gotta learn more skills first.

In the famous words of @zmotorsports, “Thanks for looking”

And feel free to post up any of your newly acquired skills or hobbies.

Thinner leather would be more supple and let you draw that circle tighter, but if you give that piece a good working over with neatsfoot or something you may yet get it snug enough to fit under your cap.

Or just print a bigger cap? :cool:

Gawynz

Looks killer from the sides. Could you cut the leather pattern different (not symetrical at the top) to stitch tight the piece fully together? I'm thinking like the shape of a baseball stitch. Then just punch a hole in it for your top cap?

STAG

On my grind
Thinner leather would be more supple and let you draw that circle tighter, but if you give that piece a good working over with neatsfoot or something you may yet get it snug enough to fit under your cap.

Or just print a bigger cap? :cool:
I think the next plan is to make the next attempt two separate leather pieces; they will merge on the top of the shifter much like the shape of the joint on a baseball or tennis ball.

Also, I’ll make the main body of the knob 1/2” larger diameter. This one just feels a little too small in the hand and I think a bigger one would feel more right and also be easier to wrap.

And yeah I did skive down the top inch of the backside of this leather but that wasn’t enough apparently.

I have no idea what a neatsfoot is

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Gotcha, I assumed it was some kind of tool, like a metal shrunken but for leather 😂
Its what I bathe by boots in regularly to keep the leather from cracking and keep it supple. I have a 10 year old pair of cowboy boots that I regularly wear that while they look far from new, the leather is is great shape. It takes several coats over a long period of time to get the oil fully absorbed into the leather.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I approve this thread. It reminds me of the many home projects I might like to do but I do not, simply because I've never done them and fear ending up with less-than-perfect results.

STAG

On my grind
Version 2 turned out a lot better.

First, I went back to the CAD and changed up the feel of the knob from a lightbulb shape, to more what I’m calling a “boxing-glove” and also increased the diameter by about 1/2” and it feels much better in the hand now.

AB08616B-925D-4FAA-8D8C-699AA69FD7EC.jpeg

Then I rethought my pattern making process, and decided to steal a trick from the carbon-fiber work I’ve done; wrap the part in masking tape, then draw a line where you want the seams, then cut along those lines. The masking tape helps show where you should place seams, because it won’t want to fold over nicely there.
B96D2CE2-F8B5-4B87-B461-A3EA687116A7.jpeg
Then transferred those shapes to the leather and cut them out.
FCF358E9-48F6-4926-9E54-45054FE2B116.jpeg
I tried doing a stamp of the gearshift pattern this time instead of planning on a top cap, in the end the stamp didn’t really show very well and I admit I made it too small for the size of the knob.
4C72728D-AABD-40CB-91F1-DB4C70419B83.jpeg
Then started stitching
659145D7-913F-42A3-891F-6D7609615B6F.jpeg
And pulled all the stitches tight again. Much better this round. I am going to modify the bottom trim ring so it blends in better to the bottom of the leather and hides the rough bit there at the bottom.
DB27DCCB-4CD7-4407-AFF1-870AD00CC768.jpeg
368598DA-74DA-4A47-BB17-91F548397658.jpeg
4EFF3885-27E6-4AE1-9FE1-F1099E3D98B0.jpeg
961FED7D-06DC-4B2A-94A8-DDC77A490940.jpeg

Last edited:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
That’s looks awesome. FYI when you stamp, press, or mark leather, you should dampen it. Just wipe a damp cloth across the surface before you stamp it.