12 Valve or 24 Valve

Which Cummins should i get

• Total voters

Devel

Just an Outlaw....
if i may remind u, ur xj has a chrysler motor same as dodge :) but i wouldnt just tow my tj i would be towing my TJ and my buddies XJ also

AINT SKEERED

Balls to the Walls
Devel said:
if i may remind u, ur xj has a chrysler motor same as dodge :) but i wouldnt just tow my tj i would be towing my TJ and my buddies XJ also

Nope, the motor is old school AMC at its finest. Trust me I hate the fact that I drive a Chrysler produced vehicle.

If it were me I would look for a newer Chevy with either the 6 liter, if youre worried about gas, or the 8.1.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
AINT SKEERED said:
Nope, the motor is old school AMC at its finest. Trust me I hate the fact that I drive a Chrysler produced vehicle.

If it were me I would look for a newer Chevy with either the 6 liter, if youre worried about gas, or the 8.1.

If you can stand the styling of the late model Chev. Definitely not my favorite.

Devel

Just an Outlaw....
AINT SKEERED said:
Yeah, maybe not "old school" AMC but the motor is an AMC. Chrysler may have changed a few things, but they didnt produce it originally.

ya i have both the same motors in my jeeps and technically all the parts in it are chrysler corporation and all the parts have pretty much been upgraded by Chrysler so you cant even really call it an AMC motor anymore

J20 project

I have owned two 24's and have loved them, particularly my 05. gobs of torque. However, all of the old school diesel guys I know say that if you are going to mod the heck out of one, then the 12v is the best engine for it. More reliable and inherently stronger..
j20 project

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Devel said:
im not to worried about the whole cold starting thing im just wondering which one will tow my TJ best and has the cheepest parts wen it brakes or watever :greg:

My dad just used my 93 12V to pull a full size blazer with 4 spare 35in super swampers and three people in it to moab.

He was out pulling chev duramax's just pulling jeeps.

The 12V's pull just fine and they get better mileage, and if you plug them in during the winter they will start first crank everytime.

AINT SKEERED

Balls to the Walls
trd270 said:
He was out pulling chev duramax's just pulling jeeps.

I call BS...

Unless your dad's Dodge is HEAVILY modified, or youre actually talking about a pre D-max Chevy diesel.

And without some sort of test you have no way of knowing. Like the people who brag on the internet about street racing ricers with their jeep. When really the ricer wasnt even on the gas.

Devel

Just an Outlaw....
well if u read the post he didnt say if it were stock or not, and also you would read that most dodges will hold their power going up a hill better than a V8 Diesel from either ford or chevy

AINT SKEERED

Balls to the Walls
Devel said:
well if u read the post he didnt say if it were stock or not, and also you would read that most dodges will hold their power going up a hill better than a V8 Diesel from either ford or chevy

Okay you are convinced you need a Dodge, regardless of what anyone says...

Im done with the pissing match. You win, get your Dodge.

str8axleguy

In my personal opinion the dodge, ford and chevy diesels all run very well and any one of them will make a fine tow rig. On which one to choose it depends and whats strengths and weakness you are looking for and which combination works best for you. I pull with a 97 stroker on 36's and it runs just fine and doesn't get too hot but they do have their issues, like a really harsh ride, but my buddies 05 cummins just had the front ball joints replaced and he runs 315's and has less than 15k miles. They all have their advantages, but good luck with which ever you choose.

Fat Tony

79 Toyota Truck
Ford went to cat allready? I knew they were going to but not this soon.

I think that rice burners are suped up compact cars, not trucks. the duramax is the only exception, duramax (isuzu) Ha Ha. stupid chevy, rice is for cars.

Last edited:

CrawlerCraig

you want a winner get a ford!

i drive a dodge everyday for work at that is way to much! it is even the 06 HO that is supose to be the KING??? Well it's not my 7.3 powerstroke takes it eveytime!