Official 12V Freezer-Fridges - Do they bring the heat?

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I have never noticed the cab heating up with mine.
As far as insulation, I Was just out camping this weekend with the fridge and had it on a different battery in the bed of my truck. I had it running on FF which is fast freeze or flash freeze. Basically the highest draw on the battery. It lasted about 20 hours before the low power kicked in and automatically shut it off. The temp was hovering around 100 and it only got up to about 55 degrees sitting in the blazing sun with no insulated bag. Took about 5 hours to rise from 35 to 55 but got no higher. I have the 63 quart edgestar and am looking to maybe get a smaller one so it will fit in the cab of my truck easier.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
There is a new fridge review article in overland journal I got a couple days ago. Covers lots of cool things, like amp draw, how fast and how cold they can get, and most importantly how many beers they can hold. Engel, ARB, National luna and some rip off brand starting with a W were covered.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
There is a new fridge review article in overland journal I got a couple days ago. Covers lots of cool things, like amp draw, how fast and how cold they can get, and most importantly how many beers they can hold. Engel, ARB, National luna and some rip off brand starting with a W were covered.

Starting to read that now. Fwiw the W brand is a Whynter which is a rebadged Edgestar.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I just got the three way fridge/freezer working in my FWC and over the past few days I've convinced myself that a working fridge is in the top 5 best improvements that you can do to a 4x4 used for camping :D No more ICE! Woohoo!

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
...No more ICE! Woohoo!

I had my ARB demo fridge/freezer and my personal Engel fridge/freezer on display at the We-Rock event this last weekend, they sell themselves in the sun. I had the ARB stocked full of frozen Otter-Pops, a popular treat for kids and adults alike ;)

PS for those telling me how badly they need a fridge, I have the ARB in stock :D

ID Bronco

I had my ARB demo fridge/freezer and my personal Engel fridge/freezer on display at the We-Rock event this last weekend, they sell themselves in the sun. I had the ARB stocked full of frozen Otter-Pops, a popular treat for kids and adults alike ;)

PS for those telling me how badly they need a fridge, I have the ARB in stock :D

Curt, My kids thank you for the otter pops too! Thanks for being kind to them, nice to meet you!

mesha

By endurance we conquer
FYI my edgestar seems to hold up very well to the rain. It got poured on in monticello and the drive home and sitting in my driveway with no ill-effects. I was worried about the electronic panel where the temp adjuster is, but no problems.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
FYI my edgestar seems to hold up very well to the rain. It got poured on in monticello and the drive home and sitting in my driveway with no ill-effects. I was worried about the electronic panel where the temp adjuster is, but no problems.

Good to hear its working nicely, seems that so long as your Edgestar arrives in working order, its not likely to have any issues down the road... but plenty seem to arrive non-op :(

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
For anyone in the market for a fridge, ARB will be debuting their new fridges at SEMA this next week. The 50QT ARB fridge has been an absolute home run, it has proven itself both in terms of quality, reliability and functionality. To compliment the 50 Qt. ARB has add a 37 Qt, 63 Qt and a monster 80 Qt unit to their lineup.

You can see more about the dimensions and specs here:
http://www.arbusa.com/uploads/PDF/newProductAdvice/New_FridgeModels_PR_media.pdf

I'll get some pics of the new models at SEMA and as soon as they become available in the US I'll be stocking them along with the 50QT. If anyone would like to come take a peak a the 50QT I've got a demo and NIB units here in stock.

Pricing, specs and photos here:
http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/acc_ARBfreezer.html

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
The new sizes of ARB fridges have landed on my site with pricing, pics and specs:
ARB & Engel Fridges - Click Here

The massive new 82 quart unit holds 120 cans, yes that is 10 12 packs! Meanwhile the new 37 quart holds an impressive 50 cans, not bad for a unit the size of your standard ice chest :cool:

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Maybe these are the kinds of question better answered on the phone, but

1. why the relatively close pricing on the various Engels? $25 difference for 10 quarts? yes please!

2. I don't see where you may have mentioned what size you have, but I'm thinking even the sub-40qt deals should be pretty roomy for a weekend trip and/or trip with supplies available along the way? What say ye?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Why the close pricing? For some models the only difference is an inch or two in dimension, same controller, same compressor, etc. So its easy to see why pricing is rather par.

I have a 35 liter (33 quart) and I can camp for a week out of it with some thoughtful planning and menu selection. However, I've got an ARB 50 quart that I've been using as a demo that will eventually become my personal and my older 35 will he a rental.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Still on the fence about a fridge? Why not rent one for a long weekend trip. Cruiser Outfitters now has a fleet of fridges available for rent. We are still working out the specifics but keep this in mind for a nice way to demo out the latest ARB and Engel offerings for a modest fee. Again I'm working out the details but a portion of your rental fees will go towards the purchase of a new fridge should you decide a fridge is for you :D