1970 Commando Project, Whole or Part out. Tons of Good Parts, Wheels, Tires, ORI's,

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I'm ready to part this out, well at least sell the crawler parts I have. I wont tear the jeep apart yet though. You can still buy everything I have for $10K.

1970 commando body. VERY good shape, but horrible paint job by the PO.($3000) SOLD
4 speed atlas 2.0 gears, cable shifters, driver drop. 99% sure it was in a TJ. First gen, so it's old, but looks good. I have not run it. ($1400) SOLD
2-3 big plastic totes full of random original parts and some aftermarket parts, mostly junk. (included with jeep)
Dana 60 rear axle. Semi-float. 4.88, detroit, cromo 35 spline shafts. 5 on 5.5 Used ($600) SOLD
Dana 44 front pass drop 1/2 ton. 4.88, detroit, cromo shafts, flat top knuckles used.($600) SOLD
Dana 44 front driver drop, 3/4 ton. stock, used.($300) SOLD
Stock dana 44 and 27 (?) axles.($100)
Ried knuckles, and all parts to make the ford axle 5 on 5.5. I was going to take the chevy parts and make a good driver drop axle. ($500) SOLD
14" ORI struts with reservoirs. Perfect for the go fast stuff. used. ($1400) SOLD
Corbeau baja seats. (2) perfect shape, but used a few trips.($150 each) SOLD
LJ frame to replace the stock frame. In near perfect shape.($700) SOLD
LJ fuel tank with sender(150)
Warn fuel tank skid, used ($100)
TJ hood in good shape, but a crazy paint job.(150) SOLD
TJ grill in great shape.($150) SOLD
(4) brand new Monster beadlocks. flat back with polished ring ($1200) SOLD
(4) brand new Yoki MT tires 37"(1000) SOLD
T&T Hyline front fenders. Powder coated black. good shape, notched for coilover on the inner fender. ($200) SOLD
Lots of small parts, TJ steering gear box, trans cooler, TJ M/C, ($200)
4-5 tubes of 1.75 DOM tube. All have surface rust on them. ($150) SOLD

$10k for everything now includes the atlas 4 speed I have.

Well life happens I guess. I'm spending a lot more time at work now (was moved from salary to hourly = overtime!!!) and would really just like to buy something done. So here is my list of parts. I do not need to sell any of this. If none of it sales I'll just continue with the build. Before I start parting this out, I'd like to try to sell it whole. The prices will go up once I do part it out, so this will be a smoking deal for whoever takes on this project. I'll let the pictures of what I have do most of the talking. I have been gathering up the parts for several months now.

The jeep by itself is in pretty good shape. VERY little rust. Engine runs great. 5.3L, 4L60E, Dana 20, Winters shifter. It would not take much to make this a decent driver as it sits right now. Paint needs to be redone, needs exhaust, and interior. Shocks need to be installed, ect. If you are interested in just the jeep as it sits, I can go over with you what it would need to be finished. I will sell the Jeep as it sits for $5000.00. I will sell every extra part I have as seen in the pictures below for an extra $5000. This includes the related parts on my other current "parts for sale" thread.

I would be interested in trading for a ready to go TJ of equal value. Also looking for trades on adventure style motorcycles and one or two 50cc dirt bikes, and maybe something like a TTR for my wife to learn on.

Let me know if you have any questions or would like to see it.

I saw this picture and really liked it. I was going for something similar with the TJ front end, but much lower with a link suspension.
jeep-commando-10.jpg

IMG_20140609_174000.jpg

IMG_20140611_170919.jpg

002.JPG

003.JPG

IMG_20140609_174059.jpg

006.JPG

IMG_20140611_165553.jpg

IMG_20140609_174232.jpg

IMG_20140609_174035.jpg

Last edited:

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
016.JPG

019.JPG

020.JPG

017.jpg

018.jpg

The pictures are a bit scattered, but you'll get the idea. I'll run through the big items real quick:

2005 LJ frame. Straight other then the lower link brackets. I think they got bent at the yard when they removed the axles and sat the jeep on the frame. This frame works almost perfectly with the commando body. Relocation of body mounts on the frame to match the body will be required. The front frame section may need to be lengthened to work with the TJ front end. I was planning frame work anyways to make the jeep sit lower.

Axles: Front chevy dana 44 with 4.88, detroit, chromo shafts, 5 on 5.5. Rear dana 60 with 4.88, detroit, 35 spline simi float chromo shafts. Front 1979 ford 3/4 ton dana 44 housing with all parts to make it 5 on 5.5. I was going to rob the chevy axles parts to finish it.

Tires: Geolanders, 37 inch. Brand new from Discount with certs.

Wheels: Brand new 17 inch monsters with 5 on 5.5.

Struts: 14 inch ORI STX with reservoir. These will handle the fast stuff just fine. Used for about a year. Look to be in great shape. (4 of them)

TJ Fenders: TNT highline fenders powder coated simi gloss black. Used, but in pretty good shape. Not perfect. Have been cut for coilovers.

TJ Hood: In just about perfect condition. On a side note, I have a line on a TJ grill in perfect condition with lights and everything for about $150.

TJ Fuel Tank: early tj tank with Warn skid plate. Good pump that will power this engine with no problems.

6 sticks of 1.75 DOM for the cage and what ever else.

Lots of odds and ends to help finish the project: TJ steering gear box, TJ booster and M/C, a few containers filled with trim pieces, brake lines, commando emblems. Seats that can be seen in my other for sale thread, need to be finished. Just lots of stuff.

If there is interest, I might be willing to build this project for you. If that was the case, I'd make you an even better deal on the parts and labor.

Last edited:

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Now I'm sad. I was looking forward to seeing that when you finished.

Ehh, this is a long shot sale. And not a fire sale by any means. I'm guessing I will end up building it. I just like the idea of buying a ready to run toy (no, not Toyota :D ) and getting out there and playing. I think the passion for these older rigs is kind of going away. So there's not much of a market for them. We'll see.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I won't part it until the jeep sells and that's only if the buyer doesn't buy all of it.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Yes, 10K for every part I have for this, including the commando parts I have listed in my other for sale thread that I didn't relist here. I also just picked up a real nice loaded TJ grill for it, so that will go with it too.

I'll be starting this build in about two weeks, unless someone grabs it before then!

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Pretty much the sky is the limit. If you are serious, pm me with your plans/ideas for the rig, and your budget and we can look at what we could put together to make us both happy. It's just impossible to say I'll build it for $X.XX with out knowing what you want.
Thanks,
Josh.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Top. Took on another project so I have a good 6 months to collect more parts/try to sell it. No one wants a winter commando project?

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Everyone wants the struts so for today only I will sell them for a mear $10k. I will even throw in a commando project for free!:D