1986 Toyota Land Cruiser model BJ74 - "Righty"

I've had this Cruiser for a few years now and am just now pending some more quality time with it and finally have some pictures to share. This is a JDM import (Japanese Domestic Market), it was legally imported from Japan in 2011, just as it turned 25 years-old which is the EPA/Customs requirement for import.

10821116783_29a4f7c63a_b (Small).jpg
(Stickered up for TCT Magazine, they borrowed it for their magazine debut @ CruiserFest last year)

Basic Specs:
1986 BJ74, Auto, RHD, factory PTO, full-float rear axle & removable top. Powered by a 13BT (3.4L) Turbo-diesel. Stock suspension/drive-train.

My only projects thus far have been some minor maintenance and cleanup. Overall it is very clean particularly for it's age. It has less than 100k miles on it but it's hard to say how it was used, daily driver for a short commute or driven than parked? Either way it runs really well and the diesel just purrs down the highway. It did have a bit of body repair performed before it left Japan, the work looks clean and it was likely a pretty clean truck before they touched up some minor rust and cleaned up the frame. I found out about a bit of the body repair when a tire fell off while driving down the freeway, exactly 17 miles AFTER the safety/IM place had pulled that tire for inspection. Thankfully the damage was very minor and easily repaired and of course nobody was hurt. Shame on me for trusting a quickie safety/IM place but who re-torques their wheels after the process? I do now. :D

Stereo's in JDM rigs are a bit of a crapshoot. Some come with aftermarket stereo's that are workable however if it has a stock Toyota head unit, it is just about worthless here in the US as they operate on a ~76-90 MHz while the US uses more like 88-108 MHz. If you don't mind KRCL all day your set, otherwise time to swap. I installed factory Toyota head unit from a similar vintage US spec Cruiser, the only downside is the controls are opposite as they should be for a RHD vehicle, total non-issue but it would be cool to have a RHD head unit that operated on the US FM band plan. To complicate the matter, this truck is 24V throughout the entire electrical system so I had to use a small 24V->12V converter to knock the power down. My only other repair has been the horn contact in the steering column. I've had it here for 6 months and finally took the wheel off to install while paint was drying on the hubs which kept me from installing the front wheels.

Re-configuring the wiring, note the Kanji labeling the individual wires :D
IMG_4964 (Small).JPG

It came from Japan with some alloy wheels, I'm sure they were pretty legit wheels for the previous owners taste but I wasn't digging them, particularly the fact they don't have a standard shraeder valve rather some funky fitting that requires a special wrench to pull out. I had some factory 80's era Land Cruiser wagon wheels that had some pretty rough chrome, they took quite a few manhours of love but they are looking quite nice. I wrapped them with some 31x10.50R15 BFG AT's, sourced on the cheap via KSL and RME classifieds. With the wheels mounted and balanced it was time to ditch the JDM alloys.

Wheel Before:
IMG_7719 (Small).JPG

Wheel After:
IMG_7721 (Small).JPG

With New Wheels Installed
IMG_7727 (Small).JPG
(Horrible Night Shot)

The right-hand drive is a bit querky but honestly it takes just a few minutes to get comfortable behind the wheel. Sadly, I've spent zero time in this truck off-road. It's so clean I'm a bit hesitant to get it dirty and the bone stock suspension wouldn't be much fun off-road any how. I do plan to take it on the Retro Ramble (80's vehicle event) this year. :cool:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Cool site. Those are more reasonably priced than i thought they would be and bad thoughts are coming to mind. Do I really need an FJ40 and Tacoma? Maybe one 70 series cruiser would be enough...

I agree :D

Come take one for a test drive and then choose one off of the LCD website you want delivered :D

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Righty gets some love :D

One of the most unsightly parts of this rig (besides all the shiny chrome) is the fact that all of the chrome is in great shape besides the running boards. They seemed to have taken the brunt of abuse over the year and while straight, they have some rust on the surface and a couple of holes minor pinholes popping through. Given it was the first thing you looked at closely when you climbed in the rig, it was time for change. It just so happens that I was able to abscond some take-offs from another BJ74. Project LXXIV, more on that soon. While the donor vehicle has much higher mileage, the running boards were in near mint condition... nice and shiny chrome which will match the rest of the vehicle. :cool:

Before:

IMG_7882 (Small).JPG

IMG_7884 (Small).JPG

After:

IMG_7887 (Small).JPG

Look at that shine!
IMG_7885 (Small).JPG

If you can't tell, I'm not a huge fan of chrome BUT it really works on this rig. I don't plan to build it up so keeping it stock has far more appeal (and value in this case) and thus the chrome is hear to stay so long as I own it. I have to say the best part about working on JDM vehicles, bolts don't break. If I was doing a similar running board swap on a mid-nineties Land Cruiser from here in Utah... guaranteed bolts would be rusty and stubborn. Can we all sue the State of Utah for salt use on the roads and the subsequent damage? :D

nnnnnate

Supporting Member

This was NOT a great link for me to see first thing in the morning. Are these Cruisers already imported and local? As much as I like my JK that sold 1980 BJ41 could have had me considering a trade....

That looks like a really fun rig Kurt. Between this site and EU, I get jealous every day of everyones cool rigs and awesome trips.

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
Cool site. Those are more reasonably priced than i thought they would be and bad thoughts are coming to mind. Do I really need an FJ40 and Tacoma? Maybe one 70 series cruiser would be enough...

Um yeah... My gears are defiantly turning on how to justify one of those.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
This was NOT a great link for me to see first thing in the morning. Are these Cruisers already imported and local? As much as I like my JK that sold 1980 BJ41 could have had me considering a trade....

That looks like a really fun rig Kurt. Between this site and EU, I get jealous every day of everyones cool rigs and awesome trips.

Oh my goodness.

Stephen, you're a jerk and I hate you.

Um yeah... My gears are defiantly turning on how to justify one of those.

Say the word and I can get any one (or more) of those out here (otherwise they are en route to the US or already in the US at my partners in Missouri and ready to drive home). In the meantime your welcome to come test drive one of the demo ones I have here including Righty and Project LXXIV. We will have inventory here in Utah in the coming months, but honestly they are selling before we can even get them here so often the better option is to tell me which one you want the title to :D

Here is another we set up for a local customer, he has been busy accessorizing it :cool:

IMG_7814 (Small).JPG

HJ61, 6 cyl. turbo diesel, high roof body, rocking 24mpg's around town!

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
What kind of mileage is expected out of the diesel?

Bottom end, low 20's. Feather foot it with the 4 cylinder models and guys are getting high 20's even low 30's on the highway.

Worried about parts?

<----- I know a guy that stocks the parts too :D Things like oil & air filters? In stock. Axle, trans, t-case parts? In stock. Suspension parts? All in stock. There are some harder to find parts, mostly related to the body but that is why Steve (LCD Manager) and I are concentrating on such clean imports. Take for example Micah's posted above. Would you believe that not a single bolt or bushing had to be cut, heated or torched to add bumpers, suspension, etc. If that was a US spec 60 Series... you would have spent 2 hours under there with the cutting torch and a hammer :D

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
shut up shut up shut up shut up shut UP

But seriously, that's cool that you guys are importing. I've been lusting over one of those double cab hiluxes for a while, I'll let you get me one when it's time. :D

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I looked at Micah's build on mud and was impressed. These are pretty neat machines, maybe in a few years when I "need" a four door with 4 low...

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Yeah, I saw it. You're not making me click that link again. I like being married.

Over rated :D

I kid. I'm fortunate to be in a position where I can say things like "that is a customers" or "I've had that for years" or her favorite "it belongs to the company and is for sale" :rofl:

I looked at Micah's build on mud and was impressed. These are pretty neat machines, maybe in a few years when I "need" a four door with 4 low...

We'll be here.