1986 Toyota Land Cruiser model BJ74 - "Righty"

I've had this Cruiser for a few years now and am just now pending some more quality time with it and finally have some pictures to share. This is a JDM import (Japanese Domestic Market), it was legally imported from Japan in 2011, just as it turned 25 years-old which is the EPA/Customs requirement for import.

10821116783_29a4f7c63a_b (Small).jpg
(Stickered up for TCT Magazine, they borrowed it for their magazine debut @ CruiserFest last year)

Basic Specs:
1986 BJ74, Auto, RHD, factory PTO, full-float rear axle & removable top. Powered by a 13BT (3.4L) Turbo-diesel. Stock suspension/drive-train.

My only projects thus far have been some minor maintenance and cleanup. Overall it is very clean particularly for it's age. It has less than 100k miles on it but it's hard to say how it was used, daily driver for a short commute or driven than parked? Either way it runs really well and the diesel just purrs down the highway. It did have a bit of body repair performed before it left Japan, the work looks clean and it was likely a pretty clean truck before they touched up some minor rust and cleaned up the frame. I found out about a bit of the body repair when a tire fell off while driving down the freeway, exactly 17 miles AFTER the safety/IM place had pulled that tire for inspection. Thankfully the damage was very minor and easily repaired and of course nobody was hurt. Shame on me for trusting a quickie safety/IM place but who re-torques their wheels after the process? I do now. :D

Stereo's in JDM rigs are a bit of a crapshoot. Some come with aftermarket stereo's that are workable however if it has a stock Toyota head unit, it is just about worthless here in the US as they operate on a ~76-90 MHz while the US uses more like 88-108 MHz. If you don't mind KRCL all day your set, otherwise time to swap. I installed factory Toyota head unit from a similar vintage US spec Cruiser, the only downside is the controls are opposite as they should be for a RHD vehicle, total non-issue but it would be cool to have a RHD head unit that operated on the US FM band plan. To complicate the matter, this truck is 24V throughout the entire electrical system so I had to use a small 24V->12V converter to knock the power down. My only other repair has been the horn contact in the steering column. I've had it here for 6 months and finally took the wheel off to install while paint was drying on the hubs which kept me from installing the front wheels.

Re-configuring the wiring, note the Kanji labeling the individual wires :D
IMG_4964 (Small).JPG

It came from Japan with some alloy wheels, I'm sure they were pretty legit wheels for the previous owners taste but I wasn't digging them, particularly the fact they don't have a standard shraeder valve rather some funky fitting that requires a special wrench to pull out. I had some factory 80's era Land Cruiser wagon wheels that had some pretty rough chrome, they took quite a few manhours of love but they are looking quite nice. I wrapped them with some 31x10.50R15 BFG AT's, sourced on the cheap via KSL and RME classifieds. With the wheels mounted and balanced it was time to ditch the JDM alloys.

Wheel Before:
IMG_7719 (Small).JPG

Wheel After:
IMG_7721 (Small).JPG

With New Wheels Installed
IMG_7727 (Small).JPG
(Horrible Night Shot)

The right-hand drive is a bit querky but honestly it takes just a few minutes to get comfortable behind the wheel. Sadly, I've spent zero time in this truck off-road. It's so clean I'm a bit hesitant to get it dirty and the bone stock suspension wouldn't be much fun off-road any how. I do plan to take it on the Retro Ramble (80's vehicle event) this year. :cool:

flexyfool

GDW
I like the 2 door package. Nice size and looks.

What is the value proposition of a RHD foreign Landcruiser? That is, why do people buy them? It looks like you are able to sell them for more than the US versions.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
What is the value proposition of a RHD foreign Landcruiser? That is, why do people buy them?

I'll add to this. Which of the diesel motors is considered "better" and what makes one more valuable over another apart from overall condition (upholstery, rust, etc....) I tried google but really wasn't able to find out much about them. I'm sure my Jeep term knowledge base didn't help while looking for Yota info.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
...What is the value proposition of a RHD foreign Landcruiser? That is, why do people buy them? It looks like you are able to sell them for more than the US versions.

I'll add to this. Which of the diesel motors is considered "better" and what makes one more valuable over another apart from overall condition (upholstery, rust, etc....) I tried google but really wasn't able to find out much about them. I'm sure my Jeep term knowledge base didn't help while looking for Yota info.

Great question and there are a lot of factors in the pricing.

These models were never offered in the US, not just the trim packages but the 70 Series models for example were never sold new in the US. Many buyers have lusted over them for ages and are finally able to have a legal import. The same goes for the 4 dr. hilux, high roof 60 Series, Blizzards, etc. Never offered in the US. Many have felt 'robbed' that Toyota never offered these models as they were often far more utilitarian (i.e. better for off-road travel) than the US counterparts of the same year. Take for example my 74's, removeable tops, full-float rear axles, one has factory front and rear cable lockers all with ultra reliable power plants. Nothing you could get in the US in the late 80's from Toyota, we got a single Land Cruiser model per/year starting in 1984 here in the US whereas Toyota was literally making 50+ different models for other markets.

Diesel power plants were also never available in the US. These motors are dead reliable and well regarded for hitting half-million+ miles in even tough markets, i.e. places like remote Australia that use them very hard. Japan happens to have a nice mix of the cool models and trim packages BUT with super clean trucks and low miles. I've seen these motors in operation in dozens of countries around the globe, there are literally still hundreds of thousands of these models still working in the remote environs to this day, despite being 20+ years old.

Shop around for a similar condition US Land Cruiser of the same vintage and you'll find the price isn't that much less despite being a lesser trim, gas powered and nothing unique. In fact a similar condition US 60 Series with similar mileage, would likely sell for a fair bit more. Keep in mind Land Cruisers are as pricey as every, Yahoo auto calling the 100 Series the "#1 used car on the market", Hemmings Motors calling the FJ40 one of the top 5 collector vehicles of the year, etc. This last January a handful of Land Cruisers at various auctions sold for record highs including a whopping $102k for a clean FJ40 at the R&M Auction in Scottsdale. It's obviously on a high note but things will never get 'cheap', they have always held a strong value and with less and less of them on the market and many clean US models shipping abroad, the market will stay like this for some time yet.

Which motor's are better? There are a variety of factors and considerations there too. The B series engines were made for dozens of years and are still super sought after for conversions. There are several major variations of the motor such as the 3B (4 cyl non-turbo) and the 13BT (cyl turbo'd) that apply to our imports. Both have their fan following, the 3B can rock some super high economy numbers and is super-simple, the 13BT has much of that simplicity but some boost :D. Likewise with the H (6 cyl) series, the 2H is akin to the 3B, rock solid simple and the 12HT has the factor turbo for much improved acceleration, etc. The L series used in the smaller platforms i.e. Hilux and Blizzard, see Top Gear :D

How is value ultimately determined? A nice matrix of cost of acquisition, repair needs (all the AC units are service, full fluid change, batteries, tires if needed, etc), along with interior/exterior condition, rareness of the model and trim and of course supply demand. The turbo models are going to demand a higher price much like the lower mile models.

theferg

DD for Life
Not sure of its been covered....but a lot of us folks don't have this kinda cash sitting around... So are there some folks getting these financed? Id be super more interested if I thought there was a chance that my credit union would go for it...

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I shouldn't even ask.... but what's the chance of finding a mid to late-80's 73/74 or 75/77 Series pickup with a diesel... :ugh:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I shouldn't even ask.... but what's the chance of finding a mid to late-80's 73/74 or 75/77 Series pickup with a diesel... :ugh:

73/74's are good in stock. I've got Righty and the other 74 here. 75 pickups/wagons are in the pipeline, 75 troops is enough route for a June landing in the US. 77's are still too new and quite rare. Check out LandCruisersDirect.com for current holdings :D

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Righty got some cooling system love. Since day one it has had a slight weep at the upper tank of the radiator. Not even enough to drip on the ground but enough that you could see dried up coolant when you popped the hood and closely inspected the top tank. I stopped by a radiator shop we've had good luck at in the past and they confirmed my suspicion that the leak was absolutely related to the top tank and more specifically to some old work that had been done in a previous repair. They were confident they could fix it up despite needing to likely build a new top tank. I was a bit leery to go this route but I wanted it driving sooner than later and getting a radiator from my traditional sources could be several weeks, they were telling me a few days. I pulled the radiator that afternoon and had it to them first thing the following morning.

IMG_8296 (Small).JPG
Some sketchy solder work

They called the a few days later and had it finished up. I was a bit disappointed with the overall cleanliness of the repair and worse yet the paint they lathered on which consisted of a "gasoline based" paint that had more of a tar like consistency. I lightly gave them some feedback on the paint and work and it was apparent they were not willing to do anything beyond giving me a suggestion on how to get their paint off... by using gasoline to wipe it down lol. I took it back to our shop and we all laid eyes on the mess everyone shared my feeling about the paint/tar lathering and it was decided we should just get it all off before it had a chance to dry. A roll of paper towels and a few cans of brake clean later and it was as best as we could get it. The solder work under the tar was rough enough that I made a call to JMAC Radiator on State in Salt Lake. He said bring it down and they would look at it. I wasted no time and was in their parking lot 30 minutes later. The old boy at JMAC giggled a bit when I showed him the radiator but assured me they could clean it up. They hot-tanked the entire unit to remove the remnants of the tar mess and then got to work cleaning up the solder work, even filling a couple of large tent in the top of the radiator left by the other shops work. To top it off they cleaned up some the damaged fins too. I told him I would be more than happy to paint it so I could try and doll it up a bit, he was happy to oblige. By the following day I was good to go and had a much better looking radiator getting a few coats of paint in the shop. That next morning I installed the radiator and it was time to test drive it. Ran up to SLC and back for a meeting and had zero leaks and she stays super cool even when romping on the turbo a bit :cool:

IMG_8662 (Small).JPG
Installed!

I've since ordered a couple of radiators so they are local now :D

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Righty had it's first Moab trip this last Spring but it got stuck in 'show duty', not even leaving the parking lot at the campground. Following that it was used as a display for Camp Chef at the recent Adventure Gear Expo. One of these days it might get dusty out on the trail rather than in a dirt parking lot. :D

Adv_Gear_Expo (Small).jpg

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
You can do better, the top didn't match the white anyways... Right? right? you're better off without her.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
You can do better, the top didn't match the white anyways... Right? right? you're better off without her.

Sniff... sniff. Yeah, she has a new family now. Sniff... sniff.

The new owner (Jeff) was super excited and hopped right in and drove it off to California. But not before she put up a little fight and tried to stay home! :D

Jeff had planned a ski trip to Utah with his family which worked out for him to swing by and check out the Cruiser Thursday morning. We spent a bit of time in the shop, took it for a burn and he was excited and wanted to proceed with the deal. He got the wire transfer initiated and we set him up with an Old Man Emu kit as he plans to do a light build on it for use in the California deserts. Jeff took off and the shop crew split for lunch. We figured it was only fitting we take it to lunch and off we go with a full load of dudes. Upon our return we decide to pull it in the shop to prep it for Jeff's pickup. We stage it by the back shop door, sweep the floor and back it into the shop. One of my guys notices some fresh fluid on the shop floor, about the size of a dime so pretty minor but easily noticed. What could it be? It had spent the previous night in the shop and left nothing and following my radiator repair it had never left a drop in my garage where I had kept it stored. I swapped on some work grubs and started climbing around with a flashlight. After a few minutes and some mirror work the culprit was found... the water pump was leaking through the weep hole. Sure sign of imminent water pump failure. When? Who knows, could last 100 miles, could last thousands but I surely wasn't going to send it off to California with a leak so we started tearing it down and had a new water pump installed in just about 2 hours. I had a stubborn hose clamp that didn't want to seal up but other than that it went really smoothly. I felt bad that Jeff showed up to pick it up and we were just re-filling the coolant, I would be a bit sketched out if it was my purchase. He shot me a text this evening letting me know he made it home to San Diego safe and sound. :cool:

IMG_3132_cropped (Small).jpg

So what is next? I'm thinking something with a 6 cylinder turbo-diesel ;)