1988 Toyota X-Cab

I've owned my truck for almost a year now, but I'm fairly new to the site. I thought I would post up and get some local opinions and support.
Owners Name & City- Jared, Logan Utah.

Make, Model & Year of Vehicle- 1988 Toyota Pickup xtra cab

Engine- 22re

Transmission- w56

T-Case- Gear driven top shift

Axles- Rear - Trucks original housing, Aussie locker, yukon 5.29's
Front - 1985 4runner axle with high steer and 5.29's

Suspension- 63" Chevy leafs out back, Toyota rears up front.

Wheels and Tires- 35" bfg mtrs on 15" aluminum wheels

Favorite Trails- Providence canyon, willard peak, little moab

I didn't know a lot about toyota's before owning this truck and when I first bought it I thought I had a decent platform. I guess it was a start but I want this rig to be very capable and not very problematic...
Here's a few pics of when I first bought it, and the very weak flex shot.

Attachments

• SSPX0100.jpg
    SSPX0100.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 107
  • SSPX0101.jpg
    SSPX0101.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 93
  • SSPX0214.jpg
    SSPX0214.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:

sixstringsteve

what length are these? I had 10" bilsteins on mine, and they bottomed out all the time, just like yours will. They were way too long. I actually took them off while running golden spike, then I ran the rest of the week without shocks because they were so long. I think I ended up with 9" shocks up front and 8" out back. I ended going with some cheap $35 monroes and to me, they rode a lot better than the bilsteins (go figure). I recommend measuring your shock length at full bump and full droop, then ordering the shocks that will fit the best. good luck.

Yota

They're 12" travel shocks. So i'm assuming someone with a 4runner would have to resort to running different shocks given they don't want to hack out the floor of their rig?
I haven't ran into any issues yet but that's probably due to the fact that there's hardly any difficult trails in cache valley...
I'm going to take the bed off soon in favor of the flat bed I've been working on, so with that I'll resolve the shock issues.

sixstringsteve

by the way, your truck looks dead sexy. Whether you keep them or swap them out, I'd recommend lowering your bump stops so the springs bottom out on them, instead of your shocks bottoming out to limit your uptravel.

Yota

I got started on the frame for the flatbed today. I got most my ideas from ricsrx's flatbed, he does some awesome work and I really like the beds overall simplicity. Plus I got all the C channel and angle for $40.
20120706_115126.jpg

Last edited:

Yota

Heck yeah I'm exited to have them, I'm debating on either buying a 4.7 gear set for the rear case or just the 23 spline input.

sixstringsteve

what diff gears are you running?

If you plan on running 5.29s, stock duals will be plenty low.

I assume you have a 23 spline doubler? If so, I say go for the 23 spline 4.7s, even though they're overkill. It's not much more money than the 23 spline input gear, and it does have its advantages in the really nasty stuff. Low Range has 10% off for the next couple days, and their prices are tough to beat on the TG stuff.

Yota

Haha i was wondering what that post was about, do you still have your 4 door?
But replying to Steve's post, i do have 5.29s already and looking at prices on Marlins site has made me want to stick with just the input. But I'll check low ranges site. And yes my coupler is 23 splines.

airmanwilliams

Yup still have my 4door. There is a guy coming tomorrow or tuesday he says with cash to take it but we will see, wanted me to fix a couple things but I just havent had the time or the tools to do so.

Yota

I hate to see you sell it, but hopefully you can wheel a cheap samurai or something like you were saying.

Last edited: