1991 Mistubishi Montero Build

spencevans

Overlander
Now that the hunts are over and the weather is still good I have been putting in a lot work on the Montero. I made a trip to Joannes and bought several items to fix my RTT cover and repair the seats in my Montero. I wondered Joannes for over an hour looking for needles, thread, materiel etc and I was the only guy in the store. I felt so lost.:( I was able to get some tan marine vinyl so I can repair my RTT cover. I also got some curved upholstery repair needles. I already put the needles to good work and stitched all my seats back together. It's amazing how good the repairs look, I am very proud of myself. I will try to get some pics of the repairs.

I replaced the starter because the old starter was not disengaging properly. Now it starts like a charm and I am not getting any grinding noises. This was a very simple and straight forward swap.

I also removed my roof rack and gave it a couple of coats of hammered black and repaired my console. It's starting to look and feel a lot younger.:greg:

spencevans

Overlander
It's true, I sold the Montero to Jason. On one hand I am very sad to see it go because it was a great vehicle and it has served my family well. But on the other hand I needed a larger vehicle with more seats and I came across a vehicle that I could not pass on.

To answer your question Greg, Jason passed on the RTT, but that's okay, I am still up in the air on whether or not I want to keep it or upgrade to a Camping Labs tent.

Here is the ride I am in the process of purchasing. It May be a few weeks before I get it because it needs to be shipped across the county. I will give it it own build thread when it arrives.

2000 Montero
6285225976_94ae1fb573_z.jpg

6285221638_f7b6649808_z.jpg

6284701211_815b3d3e0f_z.jpg

6285221724_c8ab182d14_z.jpg

6285226132_c4bb69092f_z.jpg

6284701303_ef1e953208_z.jpg

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Very cool Spence, glad both of you walked away with neat rigs. I was suspicious when I saw an email from Jason today about some parts... now I know :D

Jruiz86

Hi I'm also rebuilding my 91 Monty. Where is a good place to get engine/suspension performance parts for our cars? Jegs has nothing rock auto has nothing and neither does summit racing?? Thanks

spencevans

Overlander
Absolutely love it but I have a thing for Monteros. It would be great to see you start a build thread. It looks like I see a few mods going on already. I really miss my Monteros, but I also miss my LX450's as well. They all have there unique character and personalities. It feels like some of the newer cars are lacking personality. I loved my Monteros because they were so well thought out. Particularly the second generation vehicles. They make amazingly overlanders, but they are not so hot in the rocks because of the IFS. I loved my LX450's because they are easy to modify and have a great support from the 4x4 community. When you own a Montero your kind of out on your own little island. While the vehicle is awesome, the Montero community is very small. I myself upgraded to Mercedes G500 because it has the great looks of the first gen Montero and similar running gear to the LX450. It was a great compromise for me. I hope you start a build thread and welcome to RME.

Jruiz86

I'm new to working on my montero. I have had it for a year now. Just had the engine fully rebuilt. Tranny serviced. Grill guard welded on. 33"bfg all terrains put on. I'm now looking to lift the Monty up 3". Does anyone know where to find the parts or how to even get started? I would appreciate to be pointed in the right direction? Oh and is it odd to only have shocks all the way around? (No coil spring or leaf springs)

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I'm new to working on my montero. I have had it for a year now. Just had the engine fully rebuilt. Tranny serviced. Grill guard welded on. 33"bfg all terrains put on. I'm now looking to lift the Monty up 3". Does anyone know where to find the parts or how to even get started? I would appreciate to be pointed in the right direction? Oh and is it odd to only have shocks all the way around? (No coil spring or leaf springs)

Your 1991 Montero should have front torsion bars and rear coils. If not something is up. If your interested in an Old Man Emu kit I can help with that. Give us a call at the shop to discuss. cruiseroutfittes.com