1992 Isuzu Trooper

Troop92

As much as I don't want to sell him, I've been admonished that I shouldn't have two off-road vehicles... With the purchase of my WJ, the driveway is a bit crowded. So, it is with heavy heart that I sell my partner in crime, my trusty Isuzu Trooper. Apart from the recent wiring issue (now fixed by a competent shop), Trooper has gotten me where I need to go when I need to get there. I've owned him for the last 4 years, from about 190k to the current 224k miles. Previous owner was a good friend, been in their family since new and they babied it.

$2,000

The Good:
  • 3.2L V6 -- 175hp with 188lb-ft torque
  • 5 speed manual transmission
  • 4.56 factory gears
  • 33:1 crawl ratio
  • Factory Limited-Slip rear differential
  • Auto-Lock Hubs
  • OME Heavy Duty rear springs
  • OME Nitrocharger shocks front/rear
  • 265/75/16 TreadWright Guard Dog M/Ts on 16x7.5 "Snowflake" alloy rims, full-size matching spare
  • Leather interior with power driver/passenger (also heated, but not currently wired)
  • Sunroof
  • CD player (aux in not working)
  • Giant cargo space with fold/tumble seats

The Bad:
  • There are some areas of rust, as this is a Utah vehicle. Frame has some surface rust, but nothing compromising structure
  • Driver seat leather is torn/worn in a few spots
  • Classic Isuzu lifter tick when cold

This has been a great rig for camping, hunting, exploring, Scout adventures, etc. It hasn't ever left me stranded and runs great. The engine is strong, uses minimal oil for a 24yr old vehicle. Clutch and transmission are tight. All fluids were changed 5k miles ago. Recent replacement of front suspension components, shocks/springs, steering box, seeing pump, starter, CV axles, valve cover gaskets, plugs and wires, slave and master cylinders, battery, and alternator.

Very comfortable on the road, IFS up front delivers a good ride. Don't let that fool you, it will keep up with much bigger rigs on the trail with minimal fuss. I've been very impressed at what this can do, the low gearing and limited-slip work magic on trails. I have taken this off-road, but have never abused it. I grew up learning from my grandpa, who employed the "as slow as possible, as fast as necessary" mantra. I prefer smart lines instead of a heavy foot.

Asking $2,000 but open to reasonable offers. Tell your friends. ;)

Last edited:

Troop92

With the current MTs I get 14-16mpg, depending on roads/conditions. It's a toy, not a DD, so mpg wasn't an issue.

When I had ATs and no lift, that figure was closer to 18-20.

Last edited:

Houndoc

Fortunately he was uninjured, kept it on its wheels and no one else involved.

Is a 2003 Montero Sport. Been a great little rig, so hate to see it go to the junkyard. The insurance adjusters really grabbed on the the "almost 200,000 miles" issue so that is what has me thinking they may total it.

Houndoc

Just got a call from my insurance, sounds like they will repair Monty! Will be good to keep it on the road a little longer.

But sorry, takes the Trooper off my radar.

Troop92

Mixed feelings, really. Had my wife let me keep it indefinitely, I would have. But, at least it's going to a good home. New owner was as excited about it as I was when I bought it. Asked all the right questions, even took it in the dirt on the test drive.