1995 LC HZJ 75 Safari Truck

Might as well make an official introduction of "Nyumbu" (Swahili for Wildebeest)

After my safari in Tanzania last May I decided I really needed a safari style Land Cruiser, so working through my tour operator and guide I was able to locate and purchase a 1995. Paperwork for the purchase took a month or so then had to get shipping arrangements in place (which the tour operator took care of, including getting it to port in Dar es Salaam. )

Was loaded in its shipping container mid August and finally started its journey around first of September, arriving in LA the last week of October.

I was leaving the country a day or two after its arrival. Fortunately the customs agent I was using was willing to store it until I got back and was able to arrange transportation to Utah.

It finally arrived here Dec 2.

Since then I have gotten the title process started, had coolent replaced since didn't know how cold prepped it would have been and had to replace the battery and front tires (slightly frustrating since I know they are not what I want long term but it had near new all terrain tires on rear, severely worn highway up front.)

Has been fun to run around town, will get a good going over after Christmas and make a long term plan from there.
20231202_133636.jpg20231202_132220.jpg20231209_152255.jpg20231209_152343.jpg20231209_152456.jpg20231209_152500.jpg20231209_153849.jpg20231209_153921.jpg

Houndoc

That's pretty sweet. I drove an N/A diesel version to Denver from Salt Lake once, other than the miserable "performance" going up the west side of the Rockies I was pretty pleased with it. One of my favorite Cruisers, behind the straight-axle, barn door 105. Very nice!!
Getting up any of the canyons to get out of the area will be the one down side!

Houndoc

It is a cool truck for sure! I'm excited to see what you do with it.

I need to start getting that figured out! With the holidays behind us should have a little more time.
Definitely need to get it in for a bumper to bumper check up. Any immediate needs can then be taken care of.
Big picture is to upgrade capability and iseally usability on mountain highways with US speed limits without loosing the safari truck feel. Will impact choices including lift and tire size.

Houndoc

Had a great visit earlier this week with Kurt @cruiseroutfit

Think we are getting priorities and a plan figured out. Still needs a good bumper to bumper mechanical review and tackle whatever that reveals (so far battery and clutch slave cylinder have been replaced). That should happen in the next week or two. Likely will go to manual locking hubs while that work is being done.

I will toss out a few needs here and anyone who either can provide a service or recommend some one who can let me know!

1) need a set of 16" wheels that fit a 70 series LC- the ones I am running show some scars for its previous life. Not overly concerned with style at this point since they will likely not end up the final ones.

2) The pop up roof sections are showing some rust and paint in poor condition. Repainting the entire truck is low on the priority list but want to get them taken care of before rust gets worse.

3) Need to add seat belts to the rear seats, patch some rear wheel well holes and add receiver hitch.

4) Looking for suggestions for mounting center console with storage and drink holders.

5) Will need to get pricing figured out on installing couple inches of lift and front and rear lockers.

6) Ultimately do want to have an engine swap, mostly to improve performance with altitude and our steeper highways (in Africa we drove some mountain passes but on 2 lane usually dirt roads so going over 30mph up hill wasn't relevant.) My overall goal is to keep as much of the safari truck feel as possible, so would prefer keeping it diesel but an LS swap isn't off the list. Obviously the biggest expense since I have zero interest in doing it myself.