2000 Montero Endeavor Build

spencevans

Overlander
2000 Montero Endeavor build

I recently sold my beloved 1991 Montero LS with a 3.0 V6 and automatic transmission to a fellow member. As a replacement I purchased a rare 2000 Mitsubishi Montero Endeavor with 26K miles. This vehicle will better suit my needs because I need the extra seats. The plan is to create an expedition vehicle on a modest budget.
4881675458_fd49001a02_m.jpg

What I have to work with:

-2000 Mitsubishi Montero Endeavor with a very low 26K miles. This is a rust free vehicle and the only owner was a 76 year old man and his wife. (Endeavor was top of the line and it was only available for the 2000 model year)

-3.5 SOHC V6 engine rated for 200 hp and 234 ft lbs torque.

-Aisin Warner AW 30-40LE(A340F) 4 speed automatic transmission This tranny is compatible with Atlas transfer cases.

-KM120 Transfer Case with ActiveTrac 4wd. Marks4wd offers 3.15 gearing solutions for this transfercase. (The ActiveTrac system allows the driver to select one of 4 modes: 2WD, AWD, 4WD High Locked CDL, 4WD Low Locked CDL. The ABS brakes were re-calibrated to function in all modes. You can also shift between modes at speeds of 62 mph. The Rear differential locker is functional in all modes as well.)

-9 1/2" coil sprung, solid rear axle with 4.27 gears (ARB and Mitsubishi both have air lockers available for this axle, most 1992-2001 Montero were fitted with a rear locker which is a direct bolt-in third member.)

-8" independent suspension front axle with double A-arms, torsion bars and Aisin auto-locking hubs. (ARB makes a locker for this axle. Gearing solutions are available for both front and rear axles if needed through Mitsubishi.)

-Driver and passenger side heated leather seats.

-Power Sunroof, windows, A/C, heated mirrors, third row seats etc.

-Roof Rack

-No Rust

-Great adjustable OEM suspension

My Plans:

-Airtec Snorkel

-Aisin manual locking hubs, for better reliability, fuel economy and to reduce wear on front end components

-Camp Chef Stove/oven/grill combo

-Custom drawer system

-33" tires. Not sure on the width or brand yet. (No lift is required to fit 33-35" tires, with a simple torsion bar crank and a 2" body lift 37" tires will fit without rubbing)

-4.63 gears

-Camping Lab 71x94 Roof Top Tent

-JAOS fender flares

-JAOS mud flaps

-JAOS rear door ladder

-ARB front bumper

-Mitsubishi rear locker

-Rocky Road super sliders (after I remove the running boards)

Here she is, the extremely rare 2000 Montero Endeavor.

6285221638_f7b6649808_z.jpg

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Unique rig. So it's basically a Montero SR trim package right? What's the difference between an endevor and the montero?
My friend has a complete rear axle with 4.63's and the air locker if yours doesn't have the locker.
(Just an interesting side note: I test fit 31 spline shafts from a ford 9" and they are an exact fit on these 3rd memebers).

spencevans

Overlander
Unique rig. So it's basically a Montero SR trim package right? What's the difference between an Endeavor and the Montero?
My friend has a complete rear axle with 4.63's and the air locker if yours doesn't have the locker.
(Just an interesting side note: I test fit 31 spline shafts from a ford 9" and they are an exact fit on these 3rd memebers).

Mine currently does not have the air locker. The air locker was not offered on the 2000 Montero's, but it is very simple to retrofit it with a locker and it will look 100% stock. I just need the locker, locker module, switch and a little light to illuminate the rear pumpkin on the dash once the locker is engaged. I plan to upgrade to a rear locker sometime in the near future. I will probably upgrade to the 4.63 or 4.90 gear ratio and larger tires at the same time.

To answer your other question, the Endeavor package adds a very high end sound system, security system, heated mirrors, wood trim, and several other features I can't think of off the top of my head. It was a $3200 It was basically an upscale version of the SR Monteros. It also had all the features of the SR Montero , excluding the locker, like the heated leather seats, huge sunroof, headlight washers etc.

spencevans

Overlander
Nice rig! I'd love to see some interior pics :cool:

Is this what you wanted to see? You may notice, unlike my LX450, there is actually leg room for adults in the second row. I am 6' 7" and I can sit comfortably in the second row. The second row seats also recline a lot more than they did in my LX450.

6285226170_298b3f6f2c_z.jpg

6285226132_c4bb69092f_z.jpg

6284705509_f94301dd68_z.jpg

6285226074_64ed5db717_z.jpg

6285221942_9414ae9970_z.jpg

6284701211_815b3d3e0f_z.jpg

6285221902_6e388a7133_z.jpg

6284701303_ef1e953208_z.jpg

6285221828_052a655381_z.jpg

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I have always liked the endeavor though I don't see them much. What a great odd ball to build.

spencevans

Overlander
I have always liked the endeavor though I don't see them much. What a great odd ball to build.

Here are a few Montero Endeavor's that are my inspiration for building up my new rig.

Jaos Montero
6298803700_498b0a07c6_z.jpg

Nathan's Montero
6298272369_297d4e3d77_z.jpg

Roger"s Montero
6298803966_27cf12a1dd_z.jpg

Toasty's Montero on 40's
6298273103_8ac82b5ac4_z.jpg

6298272687_c8b69ed053_z.jpg

Angelo's Montero
6298804794_e0d043ce66_z.jpg

Last edited:

spencevans

Overlander
Beautiful interior. Any plans for a rear bumper for increased departure angle?

No, not at this time. The 2000 Montero's don't have issues with departure angles like many 4x4 do. I remember my LX450's rear would rub when ever I would go through a wash on the San Rafael Swell. Another reason I am holding of is I can mount a 35" tire on the rear door with out any clearance issues or adverse effects to the door.

spencevans

Overlander
I have had the Montero for several weeks now and I absolutely love this thing. I have observed that it gets 23-24mpg on the open road and about 17 mpg in the city. Both tanks I run through it have averaged over 21 mpg. I expect the MPG will only increase when I swap in my manual hubs and add Amsoil to the tranny, tcase, and differentials. As some of you know, in the past I have had two different LX450's which I really liked, but they were complete gas hogs. I could not afford to drive them as a daily driver or take them on long vacations because the best I ever got was 13mpg. I replaced my locked, lifted and snorkeled LX450 with a 2000 Montero because I needed something that would get better gas mileage, but still get me to the places I like to visit.

Other features I really like are the 2nd row seats have a lot of leg room. I am 6'8" and I can sit comfortably in the 2nd row even when the front seats are all the way back. Another feature I like is all 3 rows have reclining seats. While my LX450's had reclining seats, they only reclined a few inches, the seats in the Montero truly recline, even to the point of laying down, which makes it really comfortable for adults to sit in the second row.

It has lots of headroom and a giant sunroof which are a must for those us that are larger than the average population.

The high end stereo and front heated leather seats seem to be my wife's favorite feature. Why Toyota/Lexus never put heated leather seats in the FJ/LX450 here in the states is beyond me. The FJ80's had few deficiencies but no heated seats was one of them.

I really like how quiet the ride is, even at freeway speeds it is very quiet. It is noticeably quieter than my 2009 Jetta.

While I have only had it a few weeks, I really like the 4 mode transfer case. I like being able to select 2wd to save fuel, but having the choice of AWD, 4Hi and 4Low. I also like how the ABS system is functional in all modes.

Some things I don't care for is the huge swinging rear door, I wish it had a gate like the FJ80's. But then again, if it had a gate like the FJ80, you would not be able to mount the spare tire on to the rear door. I would have to swing away a rear tire carrier which is no different than having a swinging rear door. Maybe having a split door like the Trooper would be more ideal.

The cup holders and seat belt locations in the second row are a little bit stupid, but it's not a big deal.

The cup holders for the front seats seem to be a little flimsy, but it could be worse, it could be like the FJ80 and not have any cup holders.

While my 2000 Montero gets much better mpg than my 1991 Montero, it feels much heavier in maneuvers and when stopping.

WillyLin

nice truck!!
they are still making these trucks in china now with 2.4 inline 4 engine (4G64)... the dash still looks the same
20100210042559-14x8B.jpg

but with raised rear roof top is the only difference... and brush guard is standard

I convinced my dad bought the Chinese version Pajero (Montero) in china.. and he likes to drive the real SUV now...
20101207357.jpg

I think the dash it's kinda old looks for 21st century but it is classic!too bad to see mitsubishi doing bad on autos and dont sell these nice trucks here anymore.. is it easy to find the parts here in US for these monteros?? I am jealous of your gas mileage.... my trooper gets around 15 city 17~18 highway, 20 MPG once going only 65mph....

Last edited: