2004 tacoma clutch swap questions

jccobia

go to harbor freight for cheap tools. i recommend a few u-joint extensions, wobbly extensions, and a swivel-head driver. That and a set of metric sockets and you should be good.

Thanks you. I would love to go on a run with you sometime I want to pick your brain on these tacomas I have read your build threads and you know a lot about these trucks.

sixstringsteve

I'll let you know when we're going wheeling next. There are lots of guys who know a lot about these. I've just done a ton of reading and watching build threads, as well as building my own. Cruiseroutfit on here knows about 10x as much as I do about these rigs.

boogie_4wheel

The only thing I can think to add to this project is to place the transmission in gear before before you pull the shifter out. When you go to assemble, if the splines don't line up you can bump the rear yoke to rotate the input shaft to get the trans to go back on the engine. If you leave the trans in neutral, you have to roll it back and rotate the input by hand then try to stab it again.
I don't know how big a deal this may be on the 'smaller' transmission; when I did a clutch on my dad's Dodge Cummins/6spd, it was a lot of work to get it back together and I didn't think about leaving it in gear till it was too late. We had a hell of a time over something that simple trying to get it to go back together, and it's too friggin heavy to just manhandle it.

jccobia

These tranny bolts are so tight. I have been spraying pb blaster all day and hammering them. Then the few on the back im not sure how to get all. Any advice or help is welcome.

sixstringsteve

Are you able to get to the bolts ok? A longer wrench will give you more leverage. If you don't have a breaker bar or a longer wrench, you can slip a pipe around the handle to make it longer. That should help.

jccobia

Are you able to get to the bolts ok? A longer wrench will give you more leverage. If you don't have a breaker bar or a longer wrench, you can slip a pipe around the handle to make it longer. That should help.

What I have been doing I am just going to go back and soray and hammer it then spray then let it sit over night om thinking.

sixstringsteve

jccobia

Time to raid the fils van for tools. About to nurse thid hang over then finish up Im down to 3 bolts and pulling that hydraulic line and pinching it off. Hoping to make a run this weekend. I need to get a list of pm for my truck and priotize it. This thing was so low miles and so cheap because of the rebuilt title. The bank says it worth 3k more then I paid but It needs some work bad. Just not sure where to start.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Time to raid the fils van for tools. About to nurse thid hang over then finish up Im down to 3 bolts and pulling that hydraulic line and pinching it off. Hoping to make a run this weekend. I need to get a list of pm for my truck and priotize it. This thing was so low miles and so cheap because of the rebuilt title. The bank says it worth 3k more then I paid but It needs some work bad. Just not sure where to start.

I didn't unhook the hydraulic line, I just unbolted the slave cylinder from the bell housing and tied it out of the way.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I don't remember a rubber boot, I just unbolted the 2 bolts holding on the slave cylinder and it came out. I also left my front drive line attached to the diff and only did the transfer case side.

jccobia

I don't remember a rubber boot, I just unbolted the 2 bolts holding on the slave cylinder and it came out. I also left my front drive line attached to the diff and only did the transfer case side.

Got all the bolts and the cylinder but I cant grt it to slide out. Maybe I should have got that transmission jack....

jccobia

So I have everything thing off the transmission is 2 inches from the bell house but the input shaft wont let it out. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? Is there some trick I am not getting?

audiofreak97

My guess is the engine and trans aren't lined up and binding, the exhaust collector is in the way or you aren't pulling hard enough. Make sure everything is disconnected, everything is lined up and run a ratchet strap or comealong around the rear axle to the trans and crank on it. I had to do that trick to get mine out.

Last edited: