2004 tacoma clutch swap questions

jccobia

My guess is the engine and trans aren't lined up and binding, the exhaust collector is in the way or you aren't pulling hard enough. Make sure everything is disconnected, everything is lined up and run a ratchet strap or comealong around the rear axle to the trans and crank on it. I had to do that trick to get mine out.

Been doing the strap method. It must not be lined up....

sixstringsteve

is the tranny hitting anything that's preventing it from pulling out that last little bit? Is the tranny supported from underneath, or is it just hanging there with all the weight resting on the input shaft?

jccobia

is the tranny hitting anything that's preventing it from pulling out that last little bit? Is the tranny supported from underneath, or is it just hanging there with all the weight resting on the input shaft?
Its on a transmission jack that spork let me barrow. The motor iz supported by a jack as well. All sides are clear. The input shaft just wont let go.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Stopped by after work today and we got them separated, it was bizarre, it was like something was holding it the last inch before it was free. I'm curious if the old clutch will slide on the shaft or if the throwout bearing is tight when he gets it off the truck. We basically moved it around until it let go, stuck a strap under the rear axle then to the transfer case to pull a little more down than the up that we were earlier to get it to release.

jccobia

Stopped by after work today and we got them separated, it was bizarre, it was like something was holding it the last inch before it was free. I'm curious if the old clutch will slide on the shaft or if the throwout bearing is tight when he gets it off the truck. We basically moved it around until it let go, stuck a strap under the rear axle then to the transfer case to pull a little more down than the up that we were earlier to get it to release.

Took of the pressure plate and my bearing was just sitting there out of its place. My guess is thats why it wouldnt come out.