2016 YZ250....X!!

D

Deleted member 12904

From the video it sounds like if the figure out the low end power, a better clutch and electric start it might be as good as the 300

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
From the video it sounds like if the figure out the low end power, a better clutch and electric start it might be as good as the 300

No no. You ktm guys are all the same... let me help you out.
Back before the hydraulic clutch phase, men had a muscle in their arm that was able to pull a cable actuated clutch from a lever with their fingers. This muscle can allow a person to lightly finger a lever and 'feel' for an optimal clutch position. This ability has gone away for most so called 'riders' with the invention of female inspired hydraulic clutches and auto clutches.
The rider in this film was returning to his inner man. He can't yet explain why the bike is so fun, all he knows is that he can't stop riding it. At some point his mangina will fully reverse, and he will have the ability to handle the cable clutch again.
The electric start is just a passing fad. It will go away in the future, much like beenie babies and pogs.

D

Deleted member 12904

Sorry I forgot about my mangina it makes perfect sense now.:)

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Back before the hydraulic clutch phase, men had a muscle in their arm that was able to pull a cable actuated clutch from a lever with their fingers.

The rider in this film was returning to his inner man. He can't yet explain why the bike is so fun, all he knows is that he can't stop riding it. At some point his mangina will fully reverse, and he will have the ability to handle the cable clutch again.

The electric start is just a passing fad. It will go away in the future, much like beenie babies and pogs.

Pfftt..... kids.. Once they start putting kick starters back on the left side where they belong we can start talking about a 'mans' bike. The clutch on a mans bike required levers that were about 10 inches long--just to get them to work--with two options. In or out. No in-between. Oftentimes that led to a snapped chain or broken rear fender.

:rofl:

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I took the bike for a burn around the hood today.. It was very weird. I expected a slight change in motor performance, but it has a significant change in power delivery. Very linear. Almost too much compared to what I am used to. There was no snap of death, no top end wheelie.. it was mid range wheelie, and then leveled off.. It will be interesting to see how it does on the trail..

Tonkaman

I took the bike for a burn around the hood today.. It was very weird. I expected a slight change in motor performance, but it has a significant change in power delivery. Very linear. Almost too much compared to what I am used to. There was no snap of death, no top end wheelie.. it was mid range wheelie, and then leveled off.. It will be interesting to see how it does on the trail..
It’s a blue Xtrainer!

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
The new q-stealth I had on the yz also (mostly) fits the x. I figured it was plugged from the way my yz was running during the race, but I pulled it apart and it was good. The x seemed to run fine with it on.. in the garage at least.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
review time!
First off, I have limited ride time on any bike other than those that I have owned. Most of which are Mx style 2 strokes.
Comparing the Yz250x (x) to the yz250 (yz) is not a logical thing to do. I didn’t know why I couldn’t find much on the internet comparing the two, but now I understand. They are not even in the same bracket. However, I am going to give you my best shot.
Let’s start with power. I LOVE the yz. 5th gear wheelies through whoops, dirt flinging burnouts through corners, arm ripping jet like power.. it really is a fun bike to ride. With the simple flick of the clutch and a quick rev, you have more power than anyone could ever need. The x on the other hand felt very much like Derek’s beta to me. The beta is all low end, and leaves a lot to be desired up top. The x felt similar. However, mid way through our ride we swapped bikes and I rode the beta. It was instantly obvious that the beta and x are not similar. I must have just been having yz withdrawals. After getting back on the x, it was obvious that it was still a yz inspired motor. Inspired, but not duplicated. The x has very good mid to mid-high range power, but just as you expect the pipe to sing and the power to snap, and the world to blur, the x just says ‘meh’. If you want more speed and more power, shift. The x is not a top end racer.
Suspension: much smoother than the yz. I am about 70lbs more than the stock spring weight, and I think it would be much better if it were sprung for me. That said, the x is much better than the Yz.
Gearing: I really couldn’t tell much of a difference. There really isn’t a large difference anyway. There were multiple times that I found myself in slow turns or tight climbs thinking the bike needed more power, only to realize I was in 4th gear, not 2nd. The bike really like to be in the right gear. It doesn’t have the long lug and top end speed to allow the gear selection to be a little lazy. I found myself shifting a lot more, and slipping the clutch a lot less.
Overall: I found myself riding much more consistent on the x. I was able to carry more speed through the corners and turns instead of slowing down and then blasting out, like on the yz. I missed the ability to 4th or 5th gear power wheelie through the whoops at rocket speed. The x forced me to attack them with intent and planning. The x was overall much smoother to operate as the constant revs/clutching and motor speed were not needed. I was more focused on proper stance, proper breathing, and line selection. I typically ride the yz for about 2 hours and have had my fill. We rode for a little more than 3 on the x, with fewer breaks and faster overall speed, and I was not even close to being done.
I am much ‘faster’ on the yz, simply because it can fly. I am ‘faster’ on the x because I can be constant and relaxed.
I really had no idea how much more energy it took to ride the yz. The x is like a walk in the park.
I will miss the yz power. But, I am going to love riding the x. They are some easy mods to create additional power to the x, but just like with the beta, I think learning to ride it the way it was designed is the right answer.
I am very happy, and excited to ride it some more.

Tonkaman

That X was way more fun to ride than I expected! Compared to my bike it is still very snappy, but predictable power. I think your going improve dramatically on that bike.