bobmed

- - - -
the 700ltr has a 20" barrel so it cuts the range back a little
it was made as an urban sniper rifle for police
it was a lot of fun to shoot but my limit was abut 300-400 yds

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
.....You know what though? I really think that AR you've got will do just fine at 400 yards!

- DAA

Sounds like a plan. I'll stick with that until I find something I "need" to move on to. Funny that I started out looking at the aforementioned Mini 14 after seeing the difference in price of the 22-250 and .223 ammo. My friend heard I was looking for a 22-250 and offered his FFL services .....thus started yet another hobby I can't afford. :D After shooting his AR-15 and weighing the price options, I just went with the AR-15 and have really liked it. I didn't want a "military gun" but now that I have one, I'm looking towards another "military gun" (.308 is likely). I still believe the bolt action to be more accurate, but probably not at my skill level. I still have a hard time with "flinching" as I fire sometimes (esp. with a long day with the 30.06). I'll need to figure out a cure for that as I go along. That'll kill any range of shot.

I dig the pics

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Since we're talking .308 AND AR's, I have to include this... the DPMS LR-308. I really, REALLY want one. I feel like I need to cut my teeth on a small caliber AR15 first, then grow from there... :D But that said, I think the DPMS 308 would be a hell of a gun for really reaching out there and has the possibility of taking down big game/targets at a distance without question, should the need arise.

http://www.dpmsinc.com/firearms/firearm.aspx?id=14

image.aspx

DPMS Arms said:
In 2001, DPMS expanded from its share of the .223/5.56mm market, and exploded onto the .308 rifle scene. The LR-308, the first and foremost of the .308 line, and for which the rifle series is named, is a rifle to be reckoned with. So much so that it was named the NRA Rifle of the year in 2005.

With a 24” stainless bull barrel, 1 in 10 twist, free floating handguard and a high ride receiver for easier mounting of optics, the LR-308 has gone toe to toe with bolt action rifles and delivered comparable accuracy, with higher magazine capacity and rate of fire. The conventional thought that "only a bolt action could be considered a precision rifle" has been in contention ever since.

With numerous upgrades available, the LR-308 is the ultimate long range target and competition rifle.

Panther LR-308 – Chambered for the proven .308 Winchester cartridge, this firearm bridges the gap between a tactical and alternative sporting rifle. The 24" button-rifled stainless steel bull barrel is matched with a mil-spec heat-treated and plated steel bolt carrier and phosphated steel bolt for superior accuracy and strength. Upper receiver is thick-walled, extruded from 6066-T6 aluminum and hard-coat anodized with black Teflon coating. Smooth snag-free design with a raised Picatinny rail for easy scope mounting. The lower receiver is milled from a solid billet of 6061-T6 aluminum and is also hard-coat anodized to military specifications with Teflon black coating. Integral trigger guard. Aluminum magazine release button. Standard AR-15 trigger group. Mil-spec A2 black Zytel stock with a trapdoor assembly and standard-length handguard with a ribbed, free-float tube. Comes with two 19- round magazines, a nylon web sling and cleaning kit.

Cabelas lists the DPMS LR-308 at $1,099, which isn't that bad.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...en/common/search/search-box.jsp.form23&Go.x=0

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Since we're talking .308 AND AR's, I have to include this... the DPMS LR-308. I really, REALLY want one. I feel like I need to cut my teeth on a small caliber AR15 first, then grow from there... :D But that said, I think the DPMS 308 would be a hell of a gun for really reaching out there and has the possibility of taking down big game/targets at a distance without question, should the need arise.

http://www.dpmsinc.com/firearms/firearm.aspx?id=14

image.aspx

Cabelas lists the DPMS LR-308 at $1,099, which isn't that bad.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0081477291202a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntk=Products&QueryText=DPMS&sort=all&Go.y=0&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23&Go.x=0

nice weapon!

I'm not sure I'll ever shoot at anything over 200 yards unless the zombies show up.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
nice weapon!

I'm not sure I'll ever shoot at anything over 200 yards unless the zombies show up.

It sounds great, I'd really like to have one of my own to verify the claims. :D In the meantime, I need to pick up a basic AR15 and be content with that, while I save my money for that DPMS.

I'm not sure what I'd use it for under normal circumstances, but in my mind, it would be a "SHTF" backup rifle for hunting & long range defense. :ugh:

Eric, which flavor of AR do you have? I've been super impressed with my gun in the situations I've put it. I just wonder if I've been using it in the situations that its ideal for and I'll be putting it into situations where it's going to be lacking?

My gun is a Stag and is pretty nicely crafted when I've compared it to other ARs I shoot with. (compared to Colt, Bushmaster, Rock River and some other cheaper "off" brand that wasn't that impressive--can't remember the name)

A Rock River with std 20" barrel. I just bought it last year and probably just need to get used to it more.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Marc, I bought the Savage FLV 12 in .223 a few years back. It is the varminter rifle for lefties. The longest shot I have tried was only about 250 yards, and we had a nasty crosswind.

Don't get hung up on bull barrels and longer length barrels unless you intend to shoot only from a bench. Mine came with a 26" bull barrel, it sucked to carry in the field. Too much weight out in front led to an unbalanced gun, and quick rabbit shots were difficult. I cut 6" off my barrel and it's much more balanced, not much louder, and I can't tell any difference in accuracy, but I suck at shooting anyway. They say I've lost some velocity, but I can actually USE the gun now. I rarely shoot from a bench.

You are welcome to shoot mine if ya want, but I am only home on Monday and Tuesday. I am also wanting to buy a .308 barrel for my Savage, as they are easy to swap out.