231 doubler and gas tank raise

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Is anyone here running a 231 doubler? especially with another 231? I am wondering how hard they are to install. I know I will get yelled at for wasting money on a 231. I like my 231 and want to keep it. I am wondering about the install and how hard it is to put in. What did you do for the cross member? I have seen threads on other forums, but was wondering what thoughts were here.

next I want to raise the gas tank into the tub or the jeep. anyone on here done this. I am not doing a fuel cell because this is cheaper and I would like to put my money elsewhere. I have seen threads on this but would like some local feedback.

mostly I wanted to see these in person. thanks

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Check Pirate, there have been a few threads on that. Didn't look that hard to me, once you got the 231 doubler all set. That looked kind of hard, what with all the Al welding and whatnot. :D

Exalted 4x4

So. U Crew
I heard that the best route for the 231/231 is to use the jeep 231 in the front and get a chevy 231 for the rear. I guess the chebys is a little stronger. A lot of people have been using the 231 to 300 or 241 and i havent heard complaints yet. When you get your doubler tell me how much longer it is than a stock case. I have been looking into it also.

I heard that the best route for the 231/231 is to use the jeep 231 in the front and get a chevy 231 for the rear. I guess the chebys is a little stronger. A lot of people have been using the 231 to 300 or 241 and i havent heard complaints yet. When you get your doubler tell me how much longer it is than a stock case. I have been looking into it also.

the 231\300 combo is only about 1\4 inch longer than a stock 231

Lifelong Jeeper

Educate me please...

How does a doubler work? What kind of gear ratios do you end up with? I have a Tera Low in mine. Is it a good idea to use one of these in a doubler set up or not?

Thanks.

red

basicly with a t-case doubler your using the hi-low range gears from one t-case (your crawl box) and bolting that to the front of the 2nd t-case.

krawlereng

springman
the 231 doubler is a cheap version of a klune-v. all you are using is the front half of the case for the box. the gm 231 has a wider chain so yes it's a little stronger. if you have a healthy motor i would recommend even going to the 241 because it's available in a 32 spline input and output which with a dana 300 you can get a new input from jb conversions. i personnaly have had a new housing machined out of solid aluminum so that it is cleaner looking. the 241 also has a six gear planetary. the ratio of this is 2.72:1.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Thanks guys. I get it. Sorry to high jack your thread Mesha.

Anybody have any info about the fuel tank raise that he's asking about.

Not hijacked since I got side tracked. I finished the fuel tank raise. It worked out pretty well. I just took out the stock tank and cut the floor and cross member out. I then raised the tank and hooked everything back up. It worked out pretty well. I welded and bolted in the stock skid plate and then straped the tank to it. I still have to raise the seat brackets and build a box over the tank and route the fill lines. I plan toput them out the side like a TJ. I also added 4 gallon capacity to my tank while it was out by shortening the plastic tube thingy.

I ended up going with the box for rocks initially. I haven't gottenit put together yet. It is a little harder than the vendor made it sound. I might sell it and buy the klune v or black box or something. It is supposed to end up 7 7/8 inch longer. I am stretched out mywheel base to match so I won't have to change driveshafts.

I have the teralow in my 231 already so I could add the reduction box in front of that. so it will go from 3.83 tranny to 2.72 reduction to 4 teralow to 4.88 axles. I would have a total of 203 to 1 final C.R. The teralow has 6 planetaries to the 3 planetaries a 231 usually has.

Lifelong Jeeper

So, when you stretched your wheel base did you cut and extend the body/frame or just push it back since your tank isn't there anymore? I really want to do this and have considered raising the tank to allow for more room. Are you just going to seal it in so that you can still put your top on and not asphyxiate from the fumes? I would love to come look at it if I can.

Thanks and good job!

mesha

By endurance we conquer
So, when you stretched your wheel base did you cut and extend the body/frame or just push it back since your tank isn't there anymore? I really want to do this and have considered raising the tank to allow for more room. Are you just going to seal it in so that you can still put your top on and not asphyxiate from the fumes? I would love to come look at it if I can.

Thanks and good job!

The wheelbase isn't stretched yet. It will be soon. I will cut out the fenders as needed. I am not extending the frame Just doing a 4 link or XJ springs and putting the axle further back. I plan to build a box around the tank to seal it in. My son will be sitting above it so I probably should seal it in. You are more than welcome to come and see it. Pm for address. I am in the process of building the bumpers and getting the doubler squared away.

kowe69

wannabe
........I ended up going with the box for rocks initially. I haven't gottenit put together yet. It is a little harder than the vendor made it sound. I might sell it and buy the klune v or black box or something........

I may be intersted in your "box4rocks". If you do decide to sell it, PM me some details and if it will work for my aplication I'll buy it.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Decided to keep the b4r. It's getting welded up right now. I changed the 3 gear planetary out for a 6 gear out of a 241. So now it's 6 gear 2.72 to 6 gear 4.0. So now It'll be stronger. I am pumped to get it in, hopefully tomorrow.

RockChucker

this project is awesome. i know you are extending your wheelbase, but out of curiosity, how much driveshaft length is lost using the 231 doubler you are doing?