231 doubler and gas tank raise

mesha

By endurance we conquer
this project is awesome. i know you are extending your wheelbase, but out of curiosity, how much driveshaft length is lost using the 231 doubler you are doing?

With the one I am using lost is 7 7/8 inches. It comes with a clocking ring, if you clock it to where you want it and then drill out the clocking holes you can leave the ring out and save 5/8 of an inch so you lose less. I have a four cylinder so I thought about moving the engine forward. If you do that you can pretty much not lose anything. Alot of people do the doubler to a flipped dana 300 and then you are shorter than a stock drivetrain without the SYE. I already had the 2 231s so that's why I went that way.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
any updates on your project? How did it turn out? Any pics?

I will work on some pics. I love the wheel base and the doubler. I moved the front axle forward a little too so now the jeep is almost too long. It all turned out well. I still have a few things to work out. I took it to st george over easter and climbed some huge ledges. i found out that the ax5 tranny is a lower ratio than the ax15 so I am at 208 to 1 not 203. It is usually too low. I attacked alot of things in 3rd gear.

By the way the seat fit in fine and I didn't have to raise it I just moved it to the front bolt holes saved me about 15 headaches. It loses some leg room but worked fine for the little ones that rode in the back.

Now I just have to get the nine inch put in the front, the stretch corners on the rear, redo the exhaust, highsteer, and blah blah blah. At least it is currently driveable.

jsudar

So this is what you used that 241 for. I knew I should have charged you more for it.:D I need to hang out with you more when you are doing cool stuff like this. I had no idea you had done all that stuff. Your jeep looks so innocent when it's just sitting in your driveway.

DevinB

I like traffic lights
So this is what you used that 241 for. I knew I should have charged you more for it.:D I need to hang out with you more when you are doing cool stuff like this. I had no idea you had done all that stuff. Your jeep looks so innocent when it's just sitting in your driveway.

Too bad you were working today, we all just sat in the front yard BSing about nothing for a couple hours. :greg:

BlackDog

one small mod at a time
so, can a guy run two cases, i.e. the married case attached to a divorced t-case, and bypass the need for adapters and the like?

What are the down falls to that?

If so, would it be best to start with a 2 wd tranny, and then run say a dana 300 for the first box, and then a divorced driver side out put t-case for the second box ?

And if, so, then could he attached said driver out put divorced box to the back of plan b, a nv4500 with a pass output NP241 married to the back of it?

Last edited:

cuban b

You're all WEAK SAUCE!
A guy could do that...

...but that's not what happened here. This double T-case uses an adapter. I think it was a box 4 rocks brand.

It basically uses the planetary reduction part of the first t case, making it similar to something like a klune V. It is then bolted directly to the second t-case.

mesha

By endurance we conquer

Yeah kind of a sleeper since it's mostly full bodied and stuff.