243 questions

Houndoc

Any thoughts on a good 'starter' 243 for my son?

I figure it is something that will only be his main rifle for the next few years until he want to move up to a larger rifle, and he has the budget of a 12 year old, so price is a big factor, but want a decent gun that is going to be reliable and accurate.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
I bought a savage for my wife years ago but she never used it and it got sold. It was a nice gun and I should have kept it. My dad has one that I would love to inherit, its my grandpas pre 64 winchester model 70. It is in mint condition and deadly accurate. When grandpa went deer hunting (which he did into his 70s) and you heard his one shot you would just go and ask him where it was since he never missed. It was always one shot behind the ear.

Houndoc

ended up getting a used Winchester Mod. 70 (early 90s, unfortunately not the good years for Winchester.) Should make a fun little rifle for him.

Houndoc

I was at WalMart last night buying some ammo. They've got some SCREAMING deals on Remington rifles at the moment (700 and 770).

The 770s are really cheap right now. Unfortunately based on reviews built for the price.

The one we bought, being a early 90s Wincesther not the best gun every, but similar to what I used for years before buying my Savage a few years ago.