255/85R/16's

spencevans

Overlander
I recently purchased a 1991 LWB(4 door) Montero. It currently has 235/75R/15 tires which are only 28.9" tall and 4.63 gears. I would like to go with a taller tire and I have been thinking about the Cooper Discover ST 255/85R/16 which are 33.2" tall. I also plan to re-gear the diffs to 5.29 gears and add lockers. An option is the BFG KM2's, they also come in 255/85R/16's. I was thinking the Coopers would be better for daily driving and I have no plan for rock crawling.

So, has any one had any experience with running tall skinny tires on an expedition style rig? I really like the way they look and I think they would serve my purpose of gaining a little extra ground clearance.

A friends SWB Montero with 255/85R/16
Raider_255.JPG

My LWB Montero with the tiny 235/75R/15
5487209052_af0ed5c5f7_z.jpg

nrspence

On the expedition forums the most popular tire for 1st and 2nd gen tacomas are the 255/85/16s. Most people run the BFG's, coopers, or toyo MT's.

Paul R

I've been running BFG MTs (older style not the KM2) 255/85/16s for a couple years now and I have loved em. I don't know that I have done any real expo stuff, but they have treated me well everywhere I have been.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I've been running 255/85-16 Interco Trxus tires since June of last year. Absolutely love the size. The only reason that I didn't just replace them with the same size tire, is because I got such a great deal on a set of 285/75 TreadWrights. I rallied the piss out of the 255's, and they held up great despite being used. I know they were beat on long before I mounted them to my Nissan. I like the size for it's slightly less resistance due to the smaller footprint on the road.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I love the size I just wish they were more common. The best tires I have ever bought have been my KM2 255/85 16 load rage E's that I have on my Ford F350. I have no reason to consider another tire when these wear out :cool:

spencevans

Overlander
Thanks guys, I will see what I can do, but going to this tire size will require me to purchase new wheels, 2" lift, re-gear the axles and upgrade to bigger brakes. Now I just have to decide if it is worth the cost.

Houndoc

I ran 255/86R16s for a while on my MS. Liked the size, but was not happy with the wear/tire life of the Coopers. Thus with my recent set went back to BFG ATs (285/75s).