2nd Chance 4runner

ghetto

I pulled out the front axle yesterday and filled in most of the truss. I ordered my ORI'S too. They will be a couple weeks out so I am trying to get a bunch done while I'm waiting. My work schedule fluctuates alot so we will see if it cooperates. The front is getting close, the rear will take some work because those are going to end up going through the floor. I also am planning on putting a fuel cell back there and still have usable space.uploadfromtaptalk1443621677534.jpguploadfromtaptalk1443621704674.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

ghetto

I guess. They claim that they figure in Ackermans angle into their steering arms and that they turn 20% tighter. Edit: that may just be regular high steer arms. The other thing I like about them is they drop down a bit. Since I still have a frame to deal with it helps with clearances.

Last edited:

ghetto

I didn't get any photos today. It was all stuff that needs to happen but doesn't look that cool. I pulled out the drivetrain and put it together hopefully for good. I installed the intake gear into the transfercase for the ZF. I also installed the clutch. I went with a Luk clutch that is supposed to be good for towing. I figure if it holds up towing equipment trailers around it should be way overkill for me. I also went through the wiring and finished cutting everything out. I need to get a fuse block and some loom to button all of that up.

ghetto

I worked a little more on the wiring. I'm laying everything out different since I have a car intake instead of a truck one. I also wired in a fuse block and relays for the gm computer.uploadfromtaptalk1444362848383.jpg
After work today I cut a hole in the rear floorboard. I have a fuel cell that I think will work perfectly there. I also ordered the fittings to run the fuel up to the motor.uploadfromtaptalk1444362992618.jpguploadfromtaptalk1444363021187.jpg
I plan on building a floor above the fuel cell at some point and running the fill hose to the stock location. It will give me some nice storage too. I am thinking about putting the battery back there too.

ghetto

I got the wiring mostly ran. I ran the wiring into the dash and hooked up the tach, vss signal and check engine light. I was hoping to run cruise control. I thought I would be slick and use the factory controls but I don't think I can. From the wiring diagrams it looks like the Toyota switch uses one wire and different voltages to control on,accel, resume, coast. The cruise control module that I have needs a different wire for each one. I found some others on amazon that are universal that I will check out. I don't really need cruise but I thought it would be nice.
I did get the steering mocked up. I am using a toyota ifs box that I already had that is tapped and ready for assist. I will have to get an 8" ram instead of the 6" I have now. I am trying to keep in nice and simple. I am using the factory steering including the double ujoint. I took out the plastic in between the ujoints. I ran that to a straight piece of 3/4 tube that goes to a coupler at the box. I am using the Sky DIY pitman arm. It is basically just the splines. I made the arm out of a piece of 3/4" steel. I bent it down just enough to clear the frame with the bolt in it. I will also make it double sheer since I am running a heim. uploadfromtaptalk1444624622498.jpguploadfromtaptalk1444624641893.jpg

ghetto

So I ordered a bunch of parts but haven't made that much progress. I have been having a bunch of frustration at the clutch plumbing. The chevy has a quick connect fitting that I have not been able to locate. The Toyota uses a hard line like a brake line. I ordered what was supposed to be adapters from summit but they are a different style. I tried cobbling together my own. I made the pieces fit but I don't have a way too bleed it. I have no pedal at all. I called Luk today and they said it should be an oem replacement. I tried my local parts places but didn't get anywhere. I finally called my local chevy dealer and they quoted me $243 for a factory line. It comes with the slave cylinder as well.( in case anyone else wants the chevy part number #15019756) I have a brand new one so that seems like a waste. He gave me the part number and I googled it looking for a crossover number to get just the hose. I didn't find that. I did find one on ebay that someone is selling used. I got it for less than a 1/4 of the dealer price so I hope it works. I will probably need to run a matching chevy master cylinder too. I took the long way around but hopefully if someone else reads this it will save them some looking.

ghetto

Well good news. I got it started last night. I got my computer back from the tuner and hooked the fuel up to a gas can. I wanted to see if it would run. I still don't have all of my fuel parts so it was a bit ghetto. As soon as I got it together enough to get fuel pressure it started right up. I couldn't run it though because I am missing the block off plate on the side. The LS motors need a plate that allows the oil to flow from one oil passage to another. I think it has an oil cooler there factory. Without it on it blows oil out pretty bad. It made a mess on the floor but it was worth it to know it will run. Hopefully I should get my other fuel parts in this week and the oil plate and I can actually run it soon!

ghetto

Thanks. It made my day for sure. I got the block off plate today. It starts right up every time. Knowing that I moved back to the front suspension and steering. I think the shocks should be ready in the next couple weeks. I would love to have the suspension all buttoned up when the shocks come.

ghetto

So you do need a matching master cylinder. I got the slave cylinder in today. I had 2 chevy master cylinders. One of them was from Luk, and it was supposed to be the matching one according to their book, but it's not. I ordered one from oreillys. It is from a 2002 2500hd with the 6 speed transmission.
Meanwhile I redid the Panhard mount. I made it a little longer than my first one. I wanted it to be as long as it can be without interference wnoith the drivers knuckle. Had I realized how much more difficult using the passenger drop axle would be for clearance I think a drivers would of saved some work. Oh well, I have it almost all figured out. uploadfromtaptalk1445653969204.jpg

ghetto

I got the master cylinder yesterday. Apparently chevy has at least 4 different quick connect fittings. The one from oreillys is for the 6 speed transmission and it seems to comet to the fittings correctly. Unfortunately the master cylinder is the type that twists in and locks and the bar is much longer than the Toyota one. I decided I was going to have to make an adapter. This is one of those things that I feel like I spent way more time on than I needed but couldn't really think of any other way to do it.
The chevy plunger has a ball on the end that fits inside a knuckle. The Toyota has more of a clevis style that is held in by a pin. Since the 4runner was a manual and it already had the clutch pedal I used the Toyota pedal and bracket. I removed the Toyota master cylinder and removed the clevis. It threads onto the master cylinder. I then cut the ball off of the chevy master cylinder. I believe the bolt size required for the Toyota clevis to screw on is 10mm x1.5. The rod was too big for the tap to screw on so I used the bench grinder to "turn down" the metal about a 1/16th all the way around. uploadfromtaptalk1446136664784.jpguploadfromtaptalk1446137793307.jpguploadfromtaptalk1446138002627.jpguploadfromtaptalk1446137896098.jpg
That was just enough to cut threads onto the rod for the Toyota clevis to screw on. That works for connecting the chevy master cylinder to the Toyota pedal, but I still had to mount the master cylinder. I ended up taking some flat stock and cutting out the pattern for the master cylinder so it would twist and lock like it would factory. I then made a flange that would bolt to the firewall of the Toyota. I used 2" tube to connect the 2 and get the spacing I needed. I painted it and was waiting for the paint to dry to mount it. Hopefully this weekend I can have time to install, bleed it, and see if I finally have a clutch!

I also whipped up a simple tube bumper for my other 4runner that I am selling.uploadfromtaptalk1446137712854.jpg

ghetto

I was hoping to have this cobbled together enough to go play on thanksgiving but it's not looking good. I talked to craig and it sounds like my shocks won't ship til december. I'm still trying to get it wrapped up though. I have an agreement with my wife that after I get it running and ready to wheel that I will leave it alone for awhile to do some honey dos.
I wasn't going to worry about doing the front end now but since I need it to be done to mount the radiator and some other things I went ahead and started on the front clip. I cut out all of the inner fenders and tubed it. I will do some sort of inner fender later to try and keep mud and stuff out. I am still toying with the idea of grafting a tacoma front end onto the 4runner. I cut down the hood and grill and like how it looks. The fenders will take some work to tie into the body lines of the 4runner but I'll worry about that later. I forgot to take some pics of the tube but here is the body panels mocked up.
e2589f0432f70d12392e07374f6df7fd.jpg
3710f0abbe4df45faf555f0dd65b839d.jpg

ghetto

It's been awhile since I updated this. I have been worrying on trents buggy for the past few weeks. New motor and finishing up the interior and some little details. Well its gone again so I'm back to working on mine. I have the wiring pretty much done. I need to just do the routing and make it pretty. I also ran the fuel. I used a jegs fuel cell and installed three Walbro pickups, two in the rear corners and one in the front. It starts right up now.
I think I finally got the clutch working. The pedal was super stiff. Like crazy stiff. It turns out that there was a little plunger that keeps the fluid in when it is disconnected. I removed the spring and plunger and it works now. I also got both of my driveshafts in. I was really worried about the clearance in the front but it looks like it will clear, but just barely. I started on the exhaust. I know that this sucks without some photos. I am missing a few, but here are a fewuploadfromtaptalk1450331903408.jpguploadfromtaptalk1450331995230.jpg