2nd Chance 4runner

ghetto

It's been 3 months since I have updated the thread. I have been working on it slowly. My shocks are supposed to ship today so that is the last big piece of the puzzle. I have the wiring pretty much done except accessories and looming.
c30f3d40a33e3fdaea2298fad10fec2c.jpg
The brakes are hooked up. I put on elderado calipers so I can run an ebrake down the road.
c65f8322c905ff5ba7d96234c00374df.jpg
The fuel is all ran except for the vent line. The suspension is all welded up except for shock mounts.
25cb525870e5c05bb4ee7e27f1b54c6e.jpg
The front clip is getting close. I'm trying to get the body lines decent. I have the basic frame work for my exo cage.
1600bc10d0e5f8b396d25aa48190aee7.jpg
These are the tube tube doors that I came up with.
53e084e7989032f667b1b67531dbe94b.jpg

So besides getting my shocks, and finishing the thousands of little things, I am shooting for ejs. Anyone else going?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

ghetto

I like the shape of the tube doors. They look pretty slick. Good eye.
Thanks. I couldn't really find any I liked. Eventually I would like to put a speaker in them and maybe some mesh. I want to keep them light. I added so much weight in other places I want to save it where I can.

ghetto

I finally got them. I ordered a set of the first run with the new reservoirs. I ordered them last year before Thanksgiving, but they are finally here! Of course I just go slammed at work but here are some teasers
c99ad5caff3ac8a2ae27dddf030b5fdd.jpg
3d5daeb891a2ead8d8dfda6099aaa3ba.jpg
35d666d790a735c94f458da627058610.jpg

ghetto

I mocked up the mounts a little while ago, but until I had the shocks I didn't want to burn them in. My tolerances are super tight, especially in the rear. Today I put the shocks on and cycled it. It looks like everything is going to clear...barely. I welded up everything enough to mount the shocks and let it sit on its own weight. Here are some pictures. uploadfromtaptalk1458188286677.jpguploadfromtaptalk1458188299747.jpguploadfromtaptalk1458188307493.jpg

Coco

I am so glad your still building this thing!! Can't wait to see it done with that front end on it!! Let me know how you like those ORIs, my dad is putting them in his buggy he is building right now as well.

ghetto

I am so glad your still building this thing!! Can't wait to see it done with that front end on it!! Let me know how you like those ORIs, my dad is putting them in his buggy he is building right now as well.
We put the ORI's on "Trent's non Samurai Buggy". I liked them so much I sold my 2.5 Coilovers with reservoirs. They are crazy stable. I jumped his buggy with them on last week and it was super smooth. My rig is different than his so I am curious how they will be for mine. His is strictly a buggy. Mine will probably be heavier, and see a fair amount of street driving. The biggest difference is I got the reservoirs. They are supposed to help overall performance. Be smoother, take jumps better, and stay cooler. For a buggy, especially one that mostly crawls, I would pick them hands down. You don't need sway bars, a suck down winch, bump stops, or limiting straps.

ghetto

So I did make it to EJS. Yes I wasn't quite ready, but I had a blast. My flywheel to starter connection isn't right. It doesn't engage everytime. I did get to mess around, flex it out and do some little climbs. Besides the starter it seems to work well. After some tuning the shocks felt good.
Before I went we had to pull the tranny one last time on trent's buggy. That took a good day and a a half. But still managed to get most of the big stuff done I wanted to do. I built some sliders, finished welding up the cage, got the front clip fastened solid, and built a skidplate. uploadfromtaptalk1459306611687.jpguploadfromtaptalk1459306634838.jpg

ghetto

Well I found a different 6.0. It was out of a denali. It's supposed to only have 95k on it. I brought it home yesterday. Today after work I pulled the old one out, cleaned up the new one, swapped everything over, and put the new one in. I hooked up just the necessities because I wanted to hear it run. It fired right up and seems to run fine. I will finish hooking everything up tomorrow. It's a nice relief to hear it running like it's supposed to. uploadfromtaptalk1459918933220.jpg

ghetto

So here is some tech on the 6.0 and some of the trannys. I have been researching a bunch and not found alot. If anyone tries to mate a 6.0 to a ZGS6-650 transmission they will need a fly wheel from a 6.0 for a NV4500. They will need a clutch from a 8.1 with the 6 speed. The clutch master cylinder will have to be from an 8.1 vehicle with the 6 speed. You will need all of the pieces from the slave cylinder to the master cylinder including the oem hoses. I cannot find an aftermarket hose. Only the factory one from chevy. I can't find anyone who makes quick connects to adapt to those fittings. There is a quick connect for an f-body but it doesn't fit these fittings. If your tranny came with a 4l60 then there is a spacer behind the flexplate that you will probably need to remove. It is part of the flex plate but tends to stay attached to the motor. I believe the 4l80 does not have or require this spacer.
That paragraph would of saved me months of searching for parts so hopefully it can save someone else.

Last edited:

ghetto

No. That actually has been really been confusing. I am going to call the guy I got it from and ask him if he has any idea. What I would like to do is take this motor apart and if it can be rebuilt rebuild it to be brand new with a few upgrades. Then I'll swap it back in an sell the old one. That will be like a next winter project.

ghetto

So I have been looking at doing some upgrades this winter and I thought I would see where I left off on the build thread. I didn't realize that I haven't been on in so long. I put it together and have been wheeling it all summer. I did old school rock crawler and also ran a Dirtriot. Overall it has done really great. I'll post some pictures up. I also have some plans for the winter that I'll post up as I get closer to doing it.
b497c85b9aa7aa1b0f4ba174f3e7125d.jpg
f7360952640ed4be2dd0a0703e3f9a32.jpg
3ec5a54ad46cefa9c373d6b90d49c90c.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk