37's on 15" or 17" rim?

DevinB

I like traffic lights
There's a chance I might be getting new tires in the near future, and I'm having a hard time deciding what rim size to get. I already have 15" rims so I wouldn't have to buy new rims if I stayed in that size, but I understand there's less tire wrap* with a larger rim, meaning it'd be less prone to hopping around, one thing that tends to happen with leaf-sprung rigs. Is it that big of a deal with 37's on 15" rims? Or would I be okay?

*Example of what I mean by tire wrap. Notice the rim turning but the tire not wanting to oblige?
photo32.jpg

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
You'll also notice your steering is less "wallowy" at low pressures with the shorter sidewall (17" rims). What air pressures are we talking about? Beadlocks or not? Do you know which tires you want? They may only be available in certain rim sizes.

solidfrontaxle

Toyota jihad
I think if you have leaf springs, any hopping will be caused by axle wrap, not tire wrap. Tire wrap will be negligible on most 4x4s. Bigger rims won't really solve that problem. They might get you street cred though.

Robert T

Skull Designs Euros
I have 37 mtr's on 15 x 8 rims and I like the little bit more sidewall when wheelin, I think they flex a bit more. I haven't noticed any kind of tire wrap, but alot of axle wrap

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I like some sidewall. I'm not a fan of 37" or bigger tires in 15" though. They seem to wallow around roll over the bead and such. I don't see me ever running a 20" wheel unless it's at least a 40" tire.

I hope my next set of tires is a set of 40 x 17" Creepy Crawlers with some internal beadlocks. I've got a few more nights of working the street corner to buy those, though.

jsudar

Why can't you just compromise and get 37's for a 16" rim? That's what I did.
I don't think you will notice too much of a difference and here is why:

Top fuel dragster: ~7000 horsepower

Devin's Jeep: <1 arthritic 3-legged horsepower*

I would save the money and keep your wheels. 15" tires seem to be lots less $$$ than 17"s.

* example of what powers Devin's Jeep

Attachments

• 3 legs.jpg
    3 legs.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 75

1995zj

I'm addicted
I'm moving up to 17" wheels for my 37's because for a full-size ZJ (~5000lbs) 37's on 15" wheels just had too much side wall flex. I personally think 17's is the right size to be at for 37's and 15's are just too small.

LT.

This is one of those discussions that everybody is going to have good points on and everybody is going to have their prefrences on. I personally like 15" wheels. There are, of course, a few reason for this. First, money. Tires are usually cheaper for 15" wheels than any other. Second, avalibility. Most shops will be able to find a 15" dia. tire faster and easier than a 16, 17, 18, or 20's. They may not be able to source the exact tire you ruined but, they will be able to source the size you need easier. Third, wheel protection. There is just more side wall to protect your wheel with a 15" wheel verses any other larger size. And let's not forget the obvious here. You already have 15" wheels. That means you could spend your money elsewhere on your rig.

Just my .02.

LT.

DevinB

I like traffic lights
I really want to go up to 17's, I think I'd like the stability a lot more. Another big hang up is that I'd love to find a good used set of 37's and save a ton of money that way compared to buying new, but it seems all I ever see are 37x12.5 R15, never R17. I could buy a used set of tires and new rims for cheaper than just a brand new set of tires.

I've got my eyes on either MTR's or the new BFG Mud Terrains. The MTR's come in either, the BFG's only come in 17". I won't be running beadlocks any time soon, so tire pressures will stay around 8-10.

Why can't you just compromise and get 37's for a 16" rim? That's what I did.
I don't think you will notice too much of a difference and here is why:

Top fuel dragster: ~7000 horsepower

Devin's Jeep: <1 arthritic 3-legged horsepower*

I would save the money and keep your wheels. 15" tires seem to be lots less $$$ than 17"s.

* example of what powers Devin's Jeep

At least my rig isn't ugly.

leorn

reset
I vote 17 for the reasons already mentioned. Hop, and turning. I changed away from a 35x12.50x15 mtr because I didn't like the additional hop they gave me. Problem solved.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Devin you have already fixed all of these issues, by not driving off road. I would go with low profile street tires on your rig if I were you.

p.s. did you pick up my target?