3rd break light required?

diablokicks

I've been lookin at getting a swing away tire carrier, but the one i am looking at doesnt seem to have a mount for a 3rd break light. My question is is a 3rd break light required to pass inspection?

Bart

I haven't had one on my TJ since I finished it a couple years ago. I've never been hassled. I guess if a Highway Patrol wanted to be a jerk he could write you up for it. I think it would be more a fix it ticket.

What kind of carrier are you looking for. I'll prolly have a Warn rear bumper and tire carrier available in a couple of months.

Caleb

If it had it from the factory then yes you need one. My brother failed inspection on his 97 TJ because he had removed his and my buddy I work with just failed (last week) on his Passat because it had tint on the window between the third brake light.

diablokicks

I haven't had one on my TJ since I finished it a couple years ago. I've never been hassled. I guess if a Highway Patrol wanted to be a jerk he could write you up for it. I think it would be more a fix it ticket.

What kind of carrier are you looking for. I'll prolly have a Warn rear bumper and tire carrier available in a couple of months.

How much?
My bro has a 94 i do believe and he hasnt been hasstled, but thats what im trying to figure out whether or not i would need one.

Caleb

I've seen shells with an integrated brake light.
yep, all current models have a third brake light integrated. So basically I guess it would be technically illegal to have an older aluminum shell w/o the third eye on a newer truck...sounds dumb to me too :-\

DevinB

I like traffic lights
my '93 Wrangler didn't come with one. I don't think I've ever seen a YJ with one, and they stopped making those in '95.

Devin

Houndoc

Keep in mind brake lights (like many other requirements to pass inspection) are a safety device, not just to make our lives more difficult.

Elkhunter96

rockhard bumpers has third brake lights for their swing away tire carrier bumpers. It fits in the hole where the wheel cap goes. They have an internet site and they are in the Quadratec magazines now