3rd Gen 4Runner click clack

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
After a long drive to an ExPo event in GA, I noticed a clicking sound under the truck. At first, I dismissed it as a bad CV axle I replaced with a Vato Zone cheapy back in Oct. After walking along side the truck with someone else driving, I'm not so sure. It sounded like the noise was coming from the back doors back, but still hard to tell.

Symptoms:

Clicking is only under power, no noise while coasting.

No difference forward or reverse

No difference 2wd or 4wd

No difference going straight or turning

Seems to only happen at slow speeds, but that could just be me hearing it easier

What I've done:

Bothered Kurt a lot on Facebook

Greased all the zerks, all accepted grease

Grabbed the drive shaft checked for play, seemed solid

Checked the front CVs, no boot damage

Most off road forums are weak sauce which is why I'm bothering yous with this. That and I don't want to get kicked off Kurt's Xmas card list.

What do yous think?

Utah Bureau of Awesomeness Department.

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
After watching many YouTube vids, I'm thinking it's my u joint, if it's the double cardan joint up front, I'm more screwed.

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
Well, today I got under the truck, hoisted the front pass wheel off the ground and spun it. No noise, but I could see the split in the Vato Zone cv I put in 3 months ago. I do carry a spare, but if it's only going to last 3 months, I figure I would just buy a Toyota one. The DS is still the NAPA one I installed years ago. Maybe I should consider a diff drop too.

The rear u joint may be a problem, but I'm going after the obvious first.

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
Automatic transmission?

Is the noise only apparent when the drivetrain is moving or can you induce it in neutral or park with the engine running?

Hopefully it is a joint and not the flexplate.

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
I removed the VatoZone CV axle on the pass side and replaced with the Toyota part. The axle was only being held together by the boot. It super-suct getting it out of the front diff.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454939634.641525.jpg

Unfortunately, the noise that alerted me there was a problem, still persists. So I fixed A problem, but not THE problem. Hecka lame.

Next weekend, I'll remove the rear driveshaft as recommended.

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
I also noticed some play in the upper ball joint. How hard is that to replace?

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
I put the rear wheels on stands today and put the Trans in drive. The sound I'm hearing is definitely coming from the t-case / drive shaft area. It sounds just like when I had the double cardan joint rebuilt back in 2011.

Click to see video.

https://vimeo.com/155438463

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I put the rear wheels on stands today and put the Trans in drive. The sound I'm hearing is definitely coming from the t-case / drive shaft area. It sounds just like when I had the double cardan joint rebuilt back in 2011.

Have you done this yet?

Pull One shaft at a time and drive... No noise, you've found the culprit.

Pull that rear driveshaft and drive around in front-wheel-drive. Or, if you pull the rear shaft and the CV feels rough/bindy or loose/sloppy, you know you've found what you're looking for.

sixstringsteve

did you grease ALL the zerks? There are a couple hidden ones in there. I had a similar issue on my tacoma, and I had missed a zerk.

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
There's that one in the middle that's impossible to get to. The issue could've been there for a year or more. When I moved to FL? The muffler rusted out and I'd never hear it. New muffler was put on last month.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

get to it. Think back on the golden days, building cars for fast n furious, and how you had to get your bloody little fingers behind those dashboards for the underglow kit. Summon your inner chuck norris.

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
Ok, after Triple S shamed me into it, I jammed my grease gun onto that impossible zerk and pumped away. Noise is gone.

Please go about your offroad business.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
That is good, but it's also very likely not "fixed", just quieted down for now. That much noise means stuff is worn, and you've filled the gaps with grease...for now. If you don't have a spare CV, start looking for another one now so it can be replaced later.