4.0 HO into a CJ

Gonna stick a '94 4 oh HO in my '84 CJ...

I know there's a bunch of 4.0 knowledge here, I'm worried 'bout the 'puter stuff.
I'm shure some of you have bin down this road, what can I expect?
I'm thinking I need to re-program the 'puter so's it's not trying to control an auto-tranny? (ittle have an auto, butt I don't want the 'puter to know)

TIA,

Russ

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
AW4 hater.......

Move the whole powertrain and harness over. It'll still think it's in a Cherokee.

I know Braden knows his way around the 4.0L harness enough to make it work in his buggy.

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
I swapped a 4.0, auto, 231 teralow into mine out of a ZJ..computer, harness and all(ZJ harnesses are a mess) and put it all together the way I found it. I labeled every wire before I took it out and still missed one of like seven grounds that kept me from getting it started. I took it to a elect engineer freind of mine and he found the missing ground after 7 hrs of tracking wire diagrams. kind of a pain, but it was worth it.

It isnt a CJ but a 4cyl YJ that I put a CJ clip on.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
57cj-5 said:
You should talk to DaveB here on the board. He has done it.

I transplanted a 99 4.0 HO into my 84 cj8. I used a 93 xj wiring harness and injector stuff. I also used xj interior wiring around an xj steering column so that I ended up with cruise, tilt, delay wipers, and light dimming on the column. The xj harness was blended with the cj dash harness so that the stock gauges are all there. If you want to come look at what I did send me a PM.
Dave

Butt...butt... I think the aw would be to long fer a 7, no? (RR, how long's yer rear driveline? What's yer wheel base?)Thinking on a 904 or 999.

DaveB, sounds like alot of work, but cool! Hadn't thought of that...(wiper delay in a CJ??? Don't even have wipers at all!!(Thanks Marc/Brett/Glen/EZ!!!)) I'm gonna mull that over, I'll yell if I wanna come look. Thanks!

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
My 83 CJ with the Laredo package has the delay wipers and CC (with a manual tranny even). The CC has never worked since I have owned it, but it was an option.

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
Desert Dino said:
Butt...butt... I think the aw would be to long fer a 7, no? (RR, how long's yer rear driveline? What's yer wheel base?)

My rear driveshaft is 23" long and barely clears in the yokes and has compound angles due to the angle down and angle over of the offset ford 9". works good, but not perfect..eats up u-joints but doesnt vibe im thinking that is from the soft 44044 springs and no wrap bar. only ruins pinion yoke caps(any one have explanation?)end hijack..

that is with a stretched wheelbase of 104.5" and a short shaft sye. Im in the process of building dana 60's which will take the 2nd angle out of it. the front driveshaft is perfect with the high pinion front.

Its alot of work but for rockcrawling I definately recommend the stretch

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Desert Dino said:
Butt...butt... I think the aw would be to long fer a 7, no? (RR, how long's yer rear driveline? What's yer wheel base?)Thinking on a 904 or 999.

DaveB, sounds like alot of work, but cool! Hadn't thought of that...(wiper delay in a CJ??? Don't even have wipers at all!!(Thanks Marc/Brett/Glen/EZ!!!)) I'm gonna mull that over, I'll yell if I wanna come look. Thanks!

Its not actually that hard (at least for an electrical nerd like me), on my cj8 I used the engine bay and lights harnesses without modifications except for the front turn light connectors. The xj harness will bolt right up into the firewall fuse block hole without even drilling new holes. The interior harness mods consist of taking out whats not needed and figuring out the sensor wiring. I used the aw4 in mine with a clocked d300. The extra length was not an issue with my scrambler. If you want to stick with your older auto tranny you will have to re-locate the crank position sensor to the front of the engine. I like the overdrive that the aw4 option gave me since it helps save gas.

DaveB said:
If you want to stick with your older auto tranny you will have to re-locate the crank position sensor to the front of the engine. I like the overdrive that the aw4 option gave me since it helps save gas.

Didn't think about cps. If I recall, it threads into the top of the bellhousing, yes? Is there an oem deal for front mounting? (Anyone??) I wonder, with some precision measuring, if a bung could be welded to the older tranny housing?
The od tranny is jus' too long, I don't want to stretch the wb. Also, I can live without od, this thing has a T5 that's had 5th gear nocked out since I've owned it....(T5 minus 1)

Oh... I really knew cj's had wiper delay! :<}

Thanks for all the input guys!

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Desert Dino said:
Didn't think about cps. If I recall, it threads into the top of the bellhousing, yes? Is there an oem deal for front mounting? (Anyone??) I wonder, with some precision measuring, if a bung could be welded to the older tranny housing?
The od tranny is jus' too long, I don't want to stretch the wb. Also, I can live without od, this thing has a T5 that's had 5th gear nocked out since I've owned it....(T5 minus 1)

Oh... I really knew cj's had wiper delay! :<}

Thanks for all the input guys!

Hesco sells a cps relocation kit but it isn't cheap. I'd compare the cost of having the sensor mount put on your old tranny. cjoffroad.com has a forum dedicated to the 4.0 swap that has lots of good info.