4.0 xj swap in TJ???

So i am sure there is a thread already on this, but i can't find it. So if anyone has done this or tried, could you let me know how it worked out. i think that i saw someone on here say that they bought a xj motor and transmission and it didn't fit in there stock 4.0 tj. Is this corect or did i miss read that somewhere. it seams like it should go to me. But maybe the realy smart people at jeep came up with a really brilliant way to make it harder to get replacement engines.. i don 't know. i want to put a straight 6 back into the tj. they have enough torque for me. famous last words :greg: i know i know

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
The XJ and TJ motors are interchangeable depending on the year of the TJ. I put a 99 TJ 4.0 into my Scrambler and that year of motor and older are the same as the XJ 4.0. At some point they changed the block in the TJs and the motor mounts and accessory mounts are different than the XJ. The 4.0s in Grand Cherokees can swap with XJs up to 99 where similar block changes were made. If you get creative you can swap any year 4.0 into the TJ. We just put a 2005 4.0 into my son in laws 95 XJ and it runs great. We just had to use the 05 motor mounts and re-wire some things.

they did its easyer to swap in a chevy 5.3 and cheaper too
ok i will bite. how or where do i need to be looking for a 5.3 donor. cause i have a buddy that will sell me an early 90s xj that was rolled for under $1k. but worse case i have seen them go for 1500ish. the cherokee has everything i need for the drivetrain. engine, trany, t-case and puter. is there a good 5.3 donor that would come with all that for under 1500. cause i would love to have the v-8. i just dont want to be piecing the whole thing together. cause i don't think i can keep my build under budget by piecing it together. i am constantly looking at KSL and i don't know if i have ever seen anything close to what i would want to spend. i am a smidge on the cheep side. :greg: