4.3 V6 swap for cherokee XJ

Caleb

I can tell you this, the 4.3L is very small, meaning it should fit fine, I think thats usually the biggest issue with swap in cherokees is getting the donor motor to actually fit. There also isn't too much to the 4.3L...with the right adapters and an aftermarket harness I would say it would be pretty straight forward.

53 willys

Bad speller
I put one in my 85 xj 4.3 ,700r4, atlas the header was the tightest spot and that was with AA 4.3 headers but a pretty easy conversion, wireing harness from Howell, I used AA motor mounts still have them if you want em :D getting the radiator under the hood was hard

Attachments

• Mvc-681s.jpg
    Mvc-681s.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 27

Brett

Meat-Hippy
On the radiator part, I don't suppose there are any better versions of the 2.8 V6 radiator (I am assuming you are trying to get this 4.3 swap into your 86 XJ) I'd say try using a 4.0 3 row radiator, but I am pretty sure that the whole front clip is designed differently on your 2.8.

53 willys

Bad speller
marvin said:
I think i need to come by and look at yours
I scraped that sucker after the uni-crap body caved in behind the steering box on upper hellderodo make sure you beef yours up before its to late.

I think if you got a stock 2.8 radiator and had some one sawp the inlet & outlet, and then on the top have them point the neck to the drivers fender then you could get a stock s-10 blazer top hose and run that all with out cutting the hood open :D

cuban b

You're all WEAK SAUCE!
An easier option in an older xj is to upgrade your 2.8 to a 3.1 or 3.4 crate motor. They are basically designed as an upgrade, so they will go right in with no modifications or custom stuff. A little less power than the 4.3, but easier.

marvin

ZINGER
cuban b said:
An easier option in an older xj is to upgrade your 2.8 to a 3.1 or 3.4 crate motor. They are basically designed as an upgrade, so they will go right in with no modifications or custom stuff. A little less power than the 4.3, but easier.

what about a 3.9 from a Dakota, I hope this will work because I have access to a couple of these with only 20 miles on them for really really cheap :D

cuban b

You're all WEAK SAUCE!
3.9 would take much more work. The 3.1 and 3.4 are good for your application because they are externally the same as you 2.8. They should pretty much bolt right in place of the original motor.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
If you want to go really crazy you can drop a 4.0 from a newer Cherokee into your 86 like I did to my 86. You will need an entire parts jeep to do it however because there's lots of things to swap and modify.
Dave

marvin

ZINGER
DaveB said:
If you want to go really crazy you can drop a 4.0 from a newer Cherokee into your 86 like I did to my 86. You will need an entire parts jeep to do it however because there's lots of things to swap and modify.
Dave

right now I need the easiest and the cheapest so I can get back on the trail

4x4phil

Try the 3.4. I was gonna swap one out of a 94 v6 firebird with the 5 speed. I was worried that if I had a motor that was too strong it'd grenade my transmission. And the 3.4 is the same block as the 2.8, it's fuel injected, you don't have to buy any adapters and the 2.8 flywheel will bolt right up. But just a warning. I did the research and even had the firebird before I decided to move and had to sell it all, but I'm not sure about the exhaust on it. It didn't look like the manifolds would work out of the firebird, but they may. And I kinda doubt that the 2.8 manifolds would bolt up but I never had time to confirm that. They very well could. Check it out. It seemed like the best option for me at the time. And that's a strong little motor. The hp rating was really close to the 4.0 with obviously not as much torque, and that's a nice combo for your drivetrane.