4.56 or 4.88

but but but everyone knows a 30 is just as good as a 44...LOL

I'd go 4.88. When I do the math, 35/28 x 3.73 = 4.66

I was actually thinking about this with regards to my future JK LOL...but I was thinking 4.88 vs 5.13 and was thinking 5.13.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
True........

I'll probably do 4.88's as well, whenever I get around to it.

How's your rig going? Any new pics?

Going slowly. :( I'm building the axles first. I've got them both geared and locked. Just need to reassemble the front 44. I need to wire wheel the crap out of the rear 9", shave the housing, and assemble it. I'll update my thread when the axles are built. Then I'll start tearing apart the XJ.

GOAT

Back from the beyond
I would have much preferred to install 4.88s in Jenn's unlimited, but longevity was a big concern. We ended up installing 4.56s and run 35s with the 4spd auto. The 4.0/4.56 combo does a decent job considering how heavy her jeep is.

A 5spd TJ will do just fine with 56s. If you haven't bought anything yet, grab a HP30 from a junkyard and then go 4.88s.

GOAT

Back from the beyond
true

I've had great luck with the 3.73/35s/3spd combo. Of course, the teralow helps:greg:

The front axle in my TJ has around 200K on the factory R&P, driver side balljounts, unit bearings and calipers. It has been through numerous shafts/joints/carriers.

I have pushed my luck long enough, and growing tired of having to do the sign of the cross every time I drop into BFE.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
I'd go 4.88. When I do the math, 35/28 x 3.73 = 4.66
QUOTE]

The only difference in the math was the tire diameter, I used 29 you used 28. A 235/75r15 comes in at 28.9" which I rounded up to 29. Both ratios would be better than the stock 3.73 but the 4.56 will be a bit stronger.

themaniam1

Just Empty Every Pocket
Isn't the pinion on a Dana 44 larger than the D30 of the same gear ratio? If so then the D44 4.88 should be equivalent to a D30 4.56 right otherwise I would think you would be hearing a lot more problems about that instead of broken axels

In my '97 TJ I am running 4.56 with 35s and I am cussing every time I try to pull a hill or have a head wind. It wheels great but I also have a 3.8:1 TC in it.

Now in my '05 LJ Rubi I have the stock 4.10 with 35s but I plan to go with 4.88s because of my other Jeep running 4.56s.

d-stumph

Don't Run Me Over Again!!
if you have a 3 speed auto you wont get good highway speed out of 4.88 (at least as good as speed). But if you have a 5 or 6 speed manual, or possibly a lock up 4 speed auto the 4.88's will work good.

Pinion is weak in a lp30 at that gear ratio, but unless you are running chromo shafts and joints the axles and joints will go before your r&p.

Contagious

I heard the argument that the 4.88 pinion is just too weak when I was doing my install, but I have never witnessed (nor had anybody who was giving me the "advice") them breaking any more often then a 4.56 gearset. I heard plenty of 'yeah, I had a buddy...' kind of stuff but no solid proof of a trend.

If you're a maniac with the skinny pedal, you're going to break things no matter what you install.

Buy a quality set of gears - you'll get what you pay for.

d-stumph

Don't Run Me Over Again!!
I heard the argument that the 4.88 pinion is just too weak ... but I have never witnessed them breaking any more often then a 4.56 gearset. I heard plenty of 'yeah, I had a buddy...' kind of stuff but no solid proof of a trend.

If you're a maniac with the skinny pedal, you're going to break things no matter what you install.

Buy a quality set of gears - you'll get what you pay for.

true,

:)
upgrades=$$ You buy one nice part you will break the nect part in line, you replace that part with a quality part and the next one in line will go, you replace that part with a quality part and the next one in line will go, you replace that part with a quality part and the next one in line will go......

It's a vicious circle. untill you finally end up with a v8 with a c6 or turbo 400, atlas t case, 60's with heat treated R&P and CTM Axles and Joints. and Tom Wood shafts of course :)

DevinB

I like traffic lights
I'm very happy with my 4.88s and 35's in my 5sp 4.0 YJ. I have no problem at all accelerating up hills in 5th gear. But I've also got a K&N, and the entire exhaust is new performance stuff - I don't know what numbers it pulls, but it's running better at 170k miles than it ever has since I've owned it.

GOAT

Back from the beyond
I've seen friends rigs trash LPs with 88s, not many HPs though. Mine still has 73s, so it has been fine. I dont see that big of difference between 56s and 88s on the highway (roughly 120 rpm@ 60 or .15 FPS@750rpm). But, I could be wrong....

We are talking about a 4.0 with 170-190HP on a good day, when new, at sea level, pushing a 4000lb+ box. It's acceleration is never going to be acceptable. I accepted that long ago.

Odd that we, as offroad enthusiasts can get so worried about acceleration, when acceleration is a controlable. However, rarely are any mention of brake upgrades made, and most TJs on 35s are still running drums-_-

Marcus

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Odd that we, as offroad enthusiasts can get so worried about acceleration, when acceleration is a controlable. However, rarely are any mention of brake upgrades made, and most TJs on 35s are still running drums-_-

Marcus

Eh, search for "disk brake conversion." There are two pages of threads. My last two off-road rigs had rear disks, and the one I'm building now has them too. Just because this thread isn't about brakes don't assume that people ignore them. ;)

TrentJ

I run 4.88s on my TJ with the 3speed auto and love it. I drive it daily as well. Off Road i love it on the freeway im a bit slow 65 at 3000 haha. I dont think youd have much problem having the 5 speed on the freeway. I still have the d30 up front and have just kept it open and have had no problems(not a real lead foot offroad) baby it and I think youll be alright. Im gonna put a detroit I have in it soon though and well see how well it holds up then haha Im running the ctm beefcake u joints though but no problems open

Last edited: