4biker's Jeep Trailer thread - I hope I do this right

4biker

That's cool, that's looking pretty good. Any ideas what the trailer weights now? Those LC wheels do look good on it, are they 16's?

Thanks, I'm pretty happy with where my 4Runner is at, just a couple things that I would like to do to prepare it for longer journeys but otherwise it's pretty capable.

Yep, they're 16's, but the offset is zero, and it's an 8" wide rim. It made the tires instantly look wider (I'm running 255's), and set the stance further apart as well. I thought I'd just put them on and look for something better, but I love them.

*edit* I'm guessing the trailer weighs in about 700-800lbs at most. I can easily pick up the tongue and maneuver it around, but it's got some girth to it.

I've read about several people having tuning issues with the 7th injector. What's your impression with it? Was it worth it?

My biggest problem is with what exactly to expect when tuning as far as the AFR's etc. I've been scrambling to figure out why I'm at 10.0-10.5 AFR during hard acceleration, and it turns out (after many, many searches) that that's the normal AFR for these trucks while accelerating. I honestly don't know how much the 7th kit is doing - it's not dumping fuel in until very high RPM's, but the day I put it on, I had more power and zero ping. In other words, it's working, but I'm not sure how... It seems like I'm running great, but I'm going to mess with the timing some more to see if I can get more advance without any ping.
When summer comes the benefits will be much more apparent. High temps will need more timing control and probably more fuel.

Honestly it's got amazing freeway power, but I wish it were a little quicker off the line. I've always liked that feeling of getting pushed back into the seat when jumping off the line. I've got 200K miles on my truck now, so when the motor blows, I'm probably going to swap a 1UZ V8 into it. No fueling issues there! The Supercharger is a MUCH more economical solution, and it's great for 99% of people.

On a related note, I did have a dude in a built jeep (YJ if I saw correctly) race me yesterday - I'm guessing he had a 350 V8, but it looked like 38ish inch tires, and I walked away from him no problem. I think he was surprised.

Last edited:

4biker

Stock pulley was getting me 6psi max on my gauge, if my gas pedal was buried into the carpet. Now I'm seeing 8psi max with the 2.1" but I haven't been super aggressive with it

4biker

Ok - update. I actually used the trailer for the first time. We pulled it down to Moab (about 3 hours), then to southeastern Utah and back. Zero problems with the trailer, and it handled the loads I put on it perfectly. I need to lengthen the tongue, put mud flaps on it, and finish some of the interior a little better. Everyone who saw it was a little fascinated by it, and it got really good feedback. People were a little mystified that I could sleep in it until I clarified its use. Anyway, I thought I'd show some pics as it was used.

First empty with just the rack:

In Moab with a rented Kayak and our bikes:

In Southeastern Utah after a rearrangement of stuff: