4biker's Jeep Trailer thread - I hope I do this right

4biker

Thanks - it actually does feel like it's coming together. My wife actually said "that looks like a real trailer now!"

4biker

Got shocks on last night. They're Navy Blue!

Also got a lead on some nice fenders but they cost. So much work to do still!!!
At this point I feel like I've got some momentum and it's literally ready to drive right as it is (if I put the wheels back on anyway :) ). One thing at a time, right?

4biker

A guy on another forum pointed me to some fenders on ebay that are all formed and primed. They came today via UPS today. They're a little rusty but workable. I couldn't help but mock them up and snap a picture.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
How's the power with the Supercharger? Did you add a 7th injector kit for it or just the supercharger alone?

4biker

I've been debating back and forth about a 7th injector system. A lot of us high-altitude guys don't really need it because we don't run as lean as the guys closer to sea level. That basically means I wouldn't get the same HP gains as they would from a 7th injector kit, making it less appealing at around $1000. At first I got A LOT of pinging, but now it seems that the ECU has been able to eliminate that ping except when it's really hot and the AC is on. Heat soak is the big thing I'm worried about now, since that causes the ECU to pull timing, which just kills horsepower and fuel economy at the same time. To solve that problem I've just purchased a progressive methanol injection kit. That should really effectively cool the air charge, which will give me more timing, therefore boosting horsepower and getting me back some fuel economy on the highway. Also methanol acts as a fuel so it will help me from running so lean under boost. The investment for that is about $350. If I don't see substantial gains I'm probably going to go with a 7th injector down the road.

As for the power, I recently ran to Zion for some canyoneering with my church priest's group (just me in the 4Runner), and I ran over Scipio pass in overdrive (not even unlocking the torque converter) pulling just under 80mph. It definitely needed to cool after that, and I burned a LOT of gas, but I was very impressed. I can run over point of the mountain holding 74mph all day long and it just doesn't mind. If I can keep the motor cool I think it will be a great performer. I love driving it now, and I keep bragging to my wife that I can beat her Volvo 2.5T (but I know I can't - 0-60 in 6.9sec is a little quicker than my superpig can go :) ) Keep in mind that I run 4.88 diffs so I'm basically stock in ratios too. If I went back to a 265/75/16 tire I'd probably be the quickest 4Runner around these parts, but I'd be racing the RPM's on the freeway.

Anyway, the supercharger has awakened the 4Runner. It's like driving it how it should have come from the factory, and I'm enjoying driving it again. Therefore worth the investment so far. Oh - my MPG's for this last tank were definitely better than they used to be for around town, so I'm not sure what to think about that yet. Freeway mileage has been a little worse, probably because I push it harder than I used to. If I keep the speeds low (79mph instead of 84-89mph)I'll get at least as good as without the SC. Go figure.

Last edited:

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
very cool, I dig it. I think the meth injection was a good call, I too think that will take care of your pinging issues and cooling as well, meth will definitely help cool that S/C air down considerably. So your 4Runner is automatic then correct? Since you mentioned overdrive, I drove an automatic S/C and I honestly didnt feel that it was faster than a regular one but I'm guessing the s/c needed a rebuild and the motor needed a thorough tune up.

Do you mind if I ask where you got the s/c? I may get one as well next year after I take care of all current mods.

Sorry to derail your trailer thread ;)

4biker

Yeah, the SC definitely woke up the tired old motor. I think during the install I actually corrected a couple vacuum line issues so it sharpened some other stuff up too :)

To answer your question, the 4Runner is an auto. The supercharger was new - I picked it up from trdparts4u.com since that was far and away the cheapest option, along with free shipping. Yes, expensive, but way cheaper than trying to put together a custom turbo option or the Lexus v8 swap I would have liked. Like I said, it's fun to drive again, and that makes it worth it to me. I didn't see any used SC's that I would have a lot of confidence in, so I just bit the bullet and slapped a new one on.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
I agree that new is the way to go. And it's really not that pricey all things considered. Good deal man.

4biker

I was staring at the trailer a few weeks ago, and (again) debating on what to do for side boxes. I've been trying to figure them out since literally the day I bought the trailer. How long ago was that again?
Anyway, it finally came to me and I've been trying to get them put together as quickly and completely as possible.

I decided to do just a plain, simple rectangular box with a door that drops straight out, and will be supported by a chain. My wife bought me a large (heavy) 3-burner campstove so even though there are better options for this application, I'm trying to make this work for her sake. The side that will go against the trailer is made from 1 1/2" x 1/8" angle iron, welded at 45*. The legs that come out from that are the same angle iron. The front of the box, where the door will mount is 3/4" angle iron. It's small, but it should work fine. After a couple of days of work I've got the frames basically put together, but not fully welded until I see how straight they are on the trailer. They're simple boxes, but even simple things can require time to do right. Once I get them mocked up and welded, I'll attach the fenders to the bottom sides and skin the boxes. I'm thinking no more welding sheet metal to the frame since that gets all warped, so I'll just put 20g sheet over the boxes and rivet it down with a gasket in between for dust and water proofing. The dimensions for the boxes are 15"x15"x68" while the main trailer box is 71" long.

Here's my one picture of the process so far. Thought I had more.

Stay tuned for more, plus a big surprise

4biker

Ok so more is happening thanks to Labor Day. I got the welding and grinding done to the point I could mock the side boxes onto the trailer with the fender.... Viola!

No, it's not real pretty, but it's going to work well. I got the fender at the right height and now I need to skin the boxes, build doors, attach the fenders and paint! Then there's only about a million other little things that still need to be done.

4biker

Honestly I feel a little silly. I already have a snorkel, so what could I possibly need now? Well I saw this ad on KSL: http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=26517907&cat=&lpid=&search=roof top tent&ad_cid=4 and I decided to take the wife down and look at it just for kicks. The guy who placed the ad was in China and bought a bunch of these unbranded tents and shipped them home with some other stuff just to give them a go. After digging around a bit I found out that it is actually a mainstream tent that is just unbranded. The tip-off was the telescoping ladder (not the traditional 2-piece adjustable), and it actually mentioned the name of the tent in the instruction manual. They just hadn't been screen printed yet.

I went down to look at it with Celeste and ended up picking it up! It's cotton/poly, with all the great features in a 2-man RTT so it's now sitting on my 4Runner until I get the rack put on the trailer (hopefully very soon). Hopefully we'll take it out for a test camp this weekend. It took a while during lunch to get the thing mounted on the rig, so the ladder's not even attached yet, but I'll post pics when I finish assembling it.

BTW, trailer boxes are starting to get skinned, so hopefully I'll be building doors by this weekend, unless camping gets in the way of fabricating my camping trailer.

4biker

Since it won't stop raining and I can't go to Metalmart until I do I decided just to put the rack on this morning. It even rained while I was drilling the holes for the thing. The mounts are actually exactly the same as on the 4Runner so the parts are totally interchangeable just in case that's ever a necessity. I had several elaborate mounting options but ultimately simple is best. I just mounted it and sealed it up.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Your trailer is coming along pretty nice! How's the quality on the RTT? Did you get a chance to try it out?

4biker

Thanks - no we weren't able to take it out yet. My wife got a nasty cold last week and I got it this week. I know it's going on the elk hunt this year but I wanted to do a shakedown before that. The weather over the past week will be a great test for the travel cover though.

I know I could knock out the rest of the big stuff on the trailer if I could just get the steel to my house and have a day to work. Honestly my wife is a little too jealous of my time when I'm at home and I've got to respect that. As far as progress, I've got half of the skin on the boxes already, so just more of that and build the simple doors. I'm also happy with the rack, and really there isn't a ton left to do, so I've just got to chill until I can get to it. :)

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Yeah that makes sense. Is the width of the trailer the same as your 4Runner or will it have a narrow track? The side bins are a good idea. Did you take the rack off of the 4Runner also?

4biker

The track is the same width. When I replaced the old 5 on 5 1/2 axle I ordered a 60" width with 6 on 5 1/2 to match the 4runner. That should keep it more stable, and the side boxes won't be sticking way out past the tires. I could also easily put 35" tires on if I wanted. I actually bought the rack off of ebay for a pretty decent deal, but it matches the 4Runner's as well.

4biker

Ok, I had to go to Metalmart yesterday, so I put the tongue jack back on, took it off of the jackstands, and took it for a drive. This is the first time I've driven it with shocks, and at its current weight. It pulled really nicely, the rack held perfectly and I ran it through some pot-holes at speed and it was basically unshaken. The roads in Pleasant Grove are basically dirt road quality, so it was a fair test of the suspension. The tongue is very short on it, and I'll have to take it easy on rutted, bumpy stuff. The shocks made a HUGE difference since I didn't see it bouncing around, but just followed like a happy little puppy. With the sheet metal on the roof (not pictured) it was loaded similarly to how it will be when empty and it did great. We'll see how it does when it's got the heavy side boxes & fenders, and especially the RTT and gear loaded inside. The 4Runner with the supercharger did great, and I can't really foresee it being too heavy to lug behind.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Great to hear, I like how it's come along. Does the S/C really make it feel like you've got all the power you need or could you stand to have more power for cruising? Are you planning on extending the tongue on it? I'm no expert so I dont know if a longer or shorter tongue will aid you offroad to navigate.