4Runner progress

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I picked up a set of 5, 35" SSR's from 'Jinx' over the weekend & just mounted them on my 4Runner today. Thanks a ton Nick!!!

I was really thinking about selling the 4Runner as I've been wanting to start building a buggy, but I decided I better complete the 4Runner as it's so close & will evenutally be a great rig to drive. I just need a few more parts & it'll be driveable. Then I'll sell it... :p

Ya'all may need to give me a few words of encouragement & support to help me see this one thru.

Anywho, here's how it looks now-

picture003reduced3dd.gif

picture004reduced3rz.gif

picture009reduced0wy.gif

I still need to re-fab all the front spring mounts, which should lower the front a good 2".

Oh, since I'm here... I need a set of Dana 44 calipers for a core. Don't care if they're siezed or junk, just something to return when I buy new ones. Post here if you have some-

Calipers needed!

shortstraw8

Hey

Did you do the solid axle swap or did it come stock cuz my buddy wnts to swap IFS to SOLID and before we get into it I would really like to know what I'm getting into if its hard I don't want to tell him its only going to be a weekend project. Also he wants to do coils not leaf is that going to make it harder? if anyone could help out on what brakets I will need I know that I need a welder, just not sure where and what brakets to use.
Thanks.

Last edited:

Caleb

shortstraw8 said:
Did you do the solid axle swap or did it come stock cuz my buddy wnts to swap ifs to solid and before we get into it I would really like to know what I'm getting into if its hard I don't want to tell him its only going to be a weekend project? Also he wants to do coils not leaf is that going to make it harder? if anyone could help out on like what tools and brakets I will need I know that I need a welder, just not sure where and what brakets to use.
Thanks.

based on the comments you made I would say a SAS with coils is above your level. With coils you should already know you will be needing to do a link suspension and you can easily figure what brackets and such you will need. You can buy kits that have everything you need from a couple different companies, that may be more to what you need. No reason to have your first big project be an experiment (and an axle at that, not a place you want to "experiment" with).

Jeremy

total tacoma points: 162
Greg said:
I was really thinking about selling the 4Runner as I've been wanting to start building a buggy....

didnt you just get rid of a nice truggy? :eek: maybe its time to wheel what you have for a while. and then start thinking about another...... oh nevermind, sell it befor you finish it and start on something ever more complicated, that you will probably sell before you finish, and end up with a TJ or something........... :rofl:

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
EKSJAE said:
didnt you just get rid of a nice truggy? :eek: maybe its time to wheel what you have for a while. and then start thinking about another...... oh nevermind, sell it befor you finish it and start on something ever more complicated, that you will probably sell before you finish, and end up with a TJ or something........... :rofl:
I was thinking the same thing...........

Must be the "evolution" thing agian....

shortstraw8

Supergper said:
based on the comments you made I would say a SAS with coils is above your level. With coils you should already know you will be needing to do a link suspension and you can easily figure what brackets and such you will need. You can buy kits that have everything you need from a couple different companies, that may be more to what you need. No reason to have your first big project be an experiment (and an axle at that, not a place you want to "experiment" with).

I know its not above my level I was just wondering how long it took you cause if it took you a week then I can tell him to plan on about a week and half. I was also wondering what you did for mounts if they do have kits or if I was going to have to home fab them. See when it comes to searching on the web I'm retarded I can never get any where I type in cars I get bunnies not really but thats what it feels like. I'm already further just by you saying they do make kits. So thank you for getting me this far.
God I'm glad rme is here.

chevtech

Seasoned Mall Cruiser
shortstraw8 said:
I know its not above my level I was just wondering how long it took you cause if it took you a week then I can tell him to plan on about a week and half. I was also wondering what you did for mounts if they do have kits or if I was going to have to home fab them. See when it comes to searching on the web I'm retarded I can never get any where I type in cars I get bunnies not really but thats what it feels like. I'm already further just by you saying they do make kits. So thank you for getting me this far.
God I'm glad rme is here.

:confused:

ummmmmm.........not to be rude but if you don't know what the difference is time wise, knowledge wise, parts wise, the equipment needed, and the welding skills requireds to do a custom 5 link suspension versus a leaf spring set-up I would definitely stick with leaf springs.

Seriously.

;)

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
I like that exhaust exiting out the rear window! :D

You need anything to get it street worthy? I've got a few odds and ends you're welcome to. Now, you've got to shorten it!

Drive it, don't sell it. Time to play a bit, you can ALWAYS work!

[/QUOTE]

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Yeah, the exhaust in the back seat... :D ... good eyes. I saved some parts from my old Toy P/U, including the full exhaust w/ a Flowmaster on it! That will eventually replace the cherrybomb that's on it now. In the meantime, it rides in the back!

I don't think I'll be bobbing this one. You all know what happens when I take the sawzall to one of my projects. This one should avoid all the seriously huge mods... :D