4runner SAS swap Qs

so i know this has been done a bunch of times and the gurus around here probably get tired of answering the same questions so ill try to be quick. also if anyone has a link to a very in depth thread on the subject i would be greatful.
i have a 97 toyota 4Runner. 3.4 with and autotragic. i would like to do a SAS. what i know (or think i know)
the front diff is on the opposet side so i cant use the first gen toyota pickup axle. which leaves the land cruiser axle for the front.

basically im just doing the research part of it so if someone can give me a link to a very complete and indepth axle conversion thread, tips, thoughts, suggestions, and total cost. im figuring 2000-3000 to do a swap, 6' lift and put 35' tires, is that high or low?

TigerStripe40

Arrogant Bastard
The Land Cruiser diff is on the same side as the solid axle minitruck diffs (passengers side).

You might be able to adapt an earlier gear drive t-case with the front output on the passengers side depending on what is in the way.
Does the 4Runner have ABS? If so, do you want to retain the ABS for street driveability? That is going to make things harder and more expensive.

I've seen some tacomas with drivers side drop dana 44's swapped in (I think from a Ford or a Jeep). Another option if you want to keep all the parts toyota is that Trail-Gear has a drivers side diff axle housing. The 3rd gen 4Runner is very similar to the first gen Tacoma. Trail-Gear has several options available: http://www.trail-gear.com/tacoma

Unless you already have the parts, 2-3k is a bit low.

HTH.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
As James mentioned the Land Cruiser axles are all passenger drop like the mini/4Runner. It is possible to reverse the housing, I've done a couple of them for SAS customers.

sixstringsteve

check out what trail-gear did for their tacoma sas kit. It's very in-depth. The '96+ trucks are a lot more involved than the pre-'96 runners. Trail-gear makes a great axle for these, and they'll match the width of your rear axle. Also, the automatic in the '96+ rigs is very stout. I'd actually prefer an auto to a manual in that rig.