4Runner throttle stuck wide open...

BoostedRNR

...coming down Sardine... with the wife driving. I am so glad I was in the vehicle!! I still am not sure what happened, I recently replaced the throttle cable because the old one was starting to wear through the plastic liner at the throttle body. I am thinking it may have something to do with the cruise control. I tried to get it to do it again, but nothing.

I just want to make sure everyone tries their hardest to somewhat teach their spouse/loved ones what to do in circumstances like this. I have told my wife over and over again what to do if this happens, especially with all those crazy stories about Toyota's trying to kill their owners. I don't know if she remembered any of the things I told her, she was freaking out!

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
And some say, "Toyota's are the most reliable vehicle." ha ha ha

Glad you saved it. I had a Toyota pickup do that to me several times. The throttle cable would get caught on crap occasionally. It been 12 years since I had it, so I can't remember what made it do it.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
They're reliable, but evil. Not as bad as the Ford SportKa though

[video=youtube;hLIkjWFNAKI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLIkjWFNAKI[/video]

STAG

On my grind
Not to try to undermine the possible situation, but could the pedal have got stuck behind the floormat?

I ask because A) If I remember correctly Toyota had a recall on their floormats due to the gas pedal getting stuck behind them and B) because I had my pedal stick at FT once in my Chevy and it took me a second but I realized it was stuck behind the mat.

Last edited: