4x4 trail to fishing destination?

93TJ

I from Davis County, and I'm looking for a 4x4 trail that's leads to someplace I can go camping and fishing. In a perfect world the trail would be....
1. Not very far away
2. Somewhat challenging
3. Camp sites would be established and well taken care of
4. Fishing would be good (lots of bits, big fish) The type of fishing isn't important; bait, spinners, flies etc.
5. The area wouldn't be crowded

Anybody have any ideas or suggestions?

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I from Davis County, and I'm looking for a 4x4 trail that's leads to someplace I can go camping and fishing. In a perfect world the trail would be....
1. Not very far away

Murdock Basin in the Uintas

2. Somewhat challenging

All depends on what you have. In a stock TJ, there are a few spots up there that can pose a challenge. TJ on 35's with lockers front and rear, it'll be nothing.

3. Camp sites would be established and well taken care of

Well what are you after here? Because if its a somewhat challenging trail, the campsites will be primitive. So there won't be any pit toilets and the campsites will be established in the fact that they have an existing fire ring. "Well taken care of" is kinda up to the last person who used it.

4. Fishing would be good (lots of bits, big fish) The type of fishing isn't important; bait, spinners, flies etc.

I don't know. Don't fish. But I've seen people up at all the lakes in Murdock Basin fishing, and hear it's good.

5. The area wouldn't be crowded

There are usually a handful of other people up there, but nothing I would call "crowded". Again, your requirements in #3 will kinda determine it. If you need pit toilets and a campsite thats professionally cleaned daily, you're probably looking at Mirror Lake or something and it will be crowded.

skeptic

This Murdock Basin sounds great to me. Moved here just before winter '05, started going to AF in '06 and pretty much have only camped there ever since as it's the only place I know. I'm getting pretty tired of it now though, getting over crowded. Yes, I know, I need to get out more.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
This sounds like a place I would like to visit also. Let's hope we aren't spoiling it for 93TJ and we overrun the place :D

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
I have driven the entire trail into Murdock Basin and the side trails to the lakes in 2wd with my k2500 diesel, granted with the really low 1st gear and 4.10 gears plus LSD it's very capable without engaging 4wd. As for it ever getting "crowded", that will likely never happen due to the roughness of the trail. Although the trail is not difficult, it is very rough for its entire length and makes for a very slow pace. From the main road back the furthest lake called Hoover Lake it's only about 9-10 miles but takes a good hour and a half or more to drive it. The camping spots are all primitive and there are no toilets, this also cuts down on the number of people who go up there, just how we like it.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
So looking at Google maps, Murdock Basin is an area and all the small lakes in that area are the fishing options? Like Pyramid, Echo, Joan, Hoover, Marshall and Shepard?

sixb

Will work for beer!
Another good place is brown duck basin ( south slope of the Unitas) via the bear trap and crossing the hogs back. It's always fun to see the surprise on peoples faces when you tell them you drove there within a 1/4 mile and they backpacked in 8 miles haha. Artic grayling up there to.

Last edited:

carsonc1974

murdoc basin is very rough... I got almost al the way to pyramid lake in a tiny 2wd tacoma work truck once, but finally found a spot where I couldn't get through a washed out area. took me like 2 hours to get back there because i had to go so so so slow as to not bash my oil pan, muffler, and anything else down there in... should be a problem in a vehicle with some clearance and a driver with some patience.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
murdoc basin is very rough... I got almost al the way to pyramid lake in a tiny 2wd tacoma work truck once, but finally found a spot where I couldn't get through a washed out area. took me like 2 hours to get back there because i had to go so so so slow as to not bash my oil pan, muffler, and anything else down there in... should be a problem in a vehicle with some clearance and a driver with some patience.

It's rough in any vehicle, even with more clearance we still rarely had the truck in 2nd gear, kept in 1st gear 70-80% of the time. Still one of my favorite places to go though, keeps the glamper types far away.

simplyjeep

Also, I'd like to find a place to take my dad away from folks more, but his knees are pretty shot and is waiting a while to get knee replacement, I'll check the area out first but anywhere that's relatively easy to park, camp, and fish? I know, a lot of requirements.