6.0 Powerstroke-who has owned one?

Houndoc

I have not heard the greatest reports on the Ford 6.0L Powerstroke, but little to none has been by people who have actually owned one.

I would love to hear some personal experience, good or bad, with this engine.

Jesser04

Owned one blew the stock motor at 30,000. Ford replaced it under warranty it was never the same traded it in for 6.4. I would steer clear of them if I were you. The 7.3 is the way to go and the 6.4 is a good motor once you put exhaust and a programmer on it.

Jesser04

If you are set on the 6.0 or getting a screaming deal they can be made to be reliable if you put a egr/egr cooler delete and head studs on them.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I just helped a buddy dump over 3k in parts in his, He paid 4500 for the truck. I would stay away

Jeepj667

I had an 03 for about 2 years. I loved the truck when it wasn't in the shop. In the two years It got new auto hubs, new turbo,egr, all 8 injectors. It had just gotten the egr system and turbo replaced when I bought it. Extended warranty saved my ass.

I also recommend staying away from Henry Day Ford service in West Valley.

00harpdawg

I owned one the first 70,000 miles and 2 years was great loved the truck had exhaust chip intake done to it and I'm not easy on it. Then I did the egr delete oil cooler 2 injectors and it just went downhill from there great truck when it's running but it will shut down at the worst time possible. And you'll be SOL

Toad

We have one in a f550 at work. Has 40k on it. Just did injectors, egr delete, about 2 months ago. Just last week it was a no start. I dont know exactly what was wrong I heard something oil related. I have not driven it since the new injectors but I think my old 1996 7.3 pulled harder with 215k. That being said I think if you are willing to spend the money they can be a heck of a hot rod. 500 horse fairly easy. Just expensive

chadschoon

Had an 04 for a couple years and heard all the hoar stories. Did a turbo back and a edge chip and the only problem I had was a fuel pump at about 60,000. Must have got a good one ;) still regret selling that truck.

RedeyeRacing

I had a 03 with one. It was in the shop 17 times in 12 months. 2 injectors, new turbo etc. All were warranted but with $100 deductible every time I was still in it 1700 in repairs. Sold it at 90k and bought an older 7.3. Worst motor I have ever had. Total POS and wouldn't wish one on my enemy. I have 215k on my 7.3 and it hasn't had a blip of trouble.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
diesel power magazine had a issue on how to correct all the problems and make it a reliable vehicle... if you can I would read all the articles there and then decide if you want to buy one or not...

Also you can go to dieselbombers.com and they have a section there for owners... ask some of them what they think...

diesel power magazine had a issue on how to correct all the problems and make it a reliable vehicle... if you can I would read all the articles there and then decide if you want to buy one or not...

Also you can go to dieselbombers.com and they have a section there for owners... ask some of them what they think...

This is the story I hear everywhere, but like the op, never first hand from anyone. Anybody here actually done this?

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
I had an 03 6.0 bought it with 71000 miles and with new injectors, traded it off at 79000 needing new injectors, after talking with lots of people first hand who had had problems, injectors, oil pump, injector o-rings, egr, turbos and three complete engine failures I chickened out and traded mine in...but man I loved driving it up to that point. actually concidered keeping it until the engine caved then do a cummins swap but just didnt want to spend $3g's a year until then.

toyota crawlin

I have a 07 6.0 with head studs, egr delete, banks inercooler, edge juice chip, full 4inch exaust
It's a good truck once you get the bugs fixed.. But every diesel has there problems I had a 7.3 and had a good amount of problems.. I don't think there is a good diesel out there that your not goin to have to fix..

Thardy

"FARM TOY"
I've never owned one but my dad has an '03 and loves it. He is up for a trade and decided to keep it and buy an F-150 to run around in. he bought it in 07 with 35000 miles and it now has 100000. Like I said he loves it, not really any abnormal diesel issues to report. Everyone I know that owns a diesel has had injector problems. Most of them dirtymax. In my opinion 6.0 is just like any other diesel. When you buy one you either get a good one or a bad one.

If you do buy one, steer clear of the chips. Everyone that I have talked to (including the men that actually work on them) say the majority of the problems they see are directly related to the chips.