6th Gen 4Runner

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I thought they were supposed to reveal all the details today... Forbes just didn't wait until Toyota did their thing?

Every journalist and guest here at the press drive is upset Forbes seemingly mixed up 7:15PM and 7:15AM. Obviously there will be a great deal more content shortly, mine included.

02SE

I still would like to know exactly what failed on TFL's Tacoma. They said it was a problem with the A.D.D., but what exactly?

I'm assuming the new 4Runner will have the same parts, so I'd like to know what failed, and what they did to fix it.

@cruiseroutfit, do you have any info on that?

Trate D

Hybrids seem like the ideal solution. You address the argument against full electrics of where and how to charge while decreasing fuel use and pollution. Not sure what there is to dislike about them.
I still feel 70 percent of the population has no interest in hybrid or full electric vehicles. I also still don’t think technology is at a point where they are any better for the environment over the cars lifespan.

Where does everyone think that electric power is coming from? You save on gas they throw more coal on the fire… I don’t think electric is a better choice it’s simply just another choice.

I know that they are hybrids and not full electric but I still think the same things apply.

This is worth a watch

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I still would like to know exactly what failed on TFL's Tacoma. They said it was a problem with the A.D.D., but what exactly?

I'm assuming the new 4Runner will have the same parts, so I'd like to know what failed, and what they did to fix it.

@cruiseroutfit, do you have any info on that?

I do. I know Roman well and spent a bunch of time with Sheldon Brown, the chief engineer this week. More on that when I have a minute.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I still feel 70 percent of the population has no interest in hybrid or full electric vehicles. I also still don’t think technology is at a point where they are any better for the environment over the cars lifespan.

Where does everyone think that electric power is coming from? You save on gas they throw more coal on the fire… I don’t think electric is a better choice it’s simply just another choice.

I know that they are hybrids and not full electric but I still think the same things apply.

This is worth a watch

Keep in mind it’s not just about the environment though manufactures are certainly beholden to federal standards that very much limit what they can build. The hybrid & batteries also have crazy options for added performance.

In the case of Toyota’s truck line using the hybrid technology, it won’t leave you stranded if/when it fails. You still have your gasoline engine. However when it’s working (as it will for many years, warranty is 10 years/150,000 miles fwiw), you get wicked awesome off the throttle performance.

In the case of the Tacoma, Land Cruiser, and vehicle I can’t talk about for another hour, the hybrid electric motor makes great torque/power right up to where the turbo takes over.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I think TFL's Tacoma is the 2.4 non-hybrid version and their fuel economy test put it at 26mpg. With the hybrid it's wandering into economy car territory, where it's at I'd be happy with it anyway.

Hybrids seem like the ideal solution. You address the argument against full electrics of where and how to charge while decreasing fuel use and pollution. Not sure what there is to dislike about them.
I don't disagree since I own one, but the downside is the incredible complexity. You have a full ICE system with a traditional drive train and then a full electric system with everything that entails, then you also have all the systems that combine those two systems. It is crazy complex compared to the simple Tesla.

Houndoc

From what I understand, the batteries in hybrids are smaller and use much less lithium etc than do full electrics.

It is also worth noted that a significant amount of electricity is generated by the vehicles themselves, so not all the power comes from the electric grid.

But even with that, nationwide more electricity is now generated by renewable sources than coal (natural gas is still the dominant source.)

Trate D

Renewable at what cost? Destruction of land, massive manufacturing, transport, efficiency issues, hazardous to dispose of. I know everything has its drawbacks but as stated earlier the technology isn’t there yet. It’s a second steam of revenue for the energy industry not a better/greener replacement.

As @Unimog pointed out the complexity of these systems. Yes, you have the usage of both systems but if one system fails the other one will be deemed useless as they are made to run off of/with each other. You know have two systems that have to be working very reliably with each other.

But this is a thread about a new vehicle so I’ll let it be that.

Trate D

Just did some reading and it does say the hybrid is not the only option so that is a plus. I was assuming since the Land Cruiser was only getting the hybrid option the 4Runner would follow suit. I do think the front struts will be suspect to trail damage at the lower mounts. The aftermarket will need to produce some skids/double sheer mounting options.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Kurt better come out with a video
Check the Expedition Overland youtube channel.

I don't hate it, aesthetically. I thought I was going to hate it the way I hate what they've done to the Tundra and Land Cruiser, but I don't. It's different but not in the bad way I expected.

1712719766125.png

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I don’t like that the 4runner has become expedition/suburban sized. The thing looks massive, its big bulgy body panel looks massive. Can we please have a reliable, nicely powered, body on frame 1st-3rd gen sized 4runner again.

I mean the sequoia seems about the same size as an earth roamer now. I guess since all the dirt roads are getting closed we don’t need small trucks anymore.