700R4 in 98 wrangler TJ

Slacker

98 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0L (auto tran/231 trans case) the stock automatic transmission has crapped out (2nd time).

I would like to replace the transmission with a GM 700R4. There are adapters available to bolt this to the 4.0L I would like hear comments/suggestions and know if any one has done this?

crawldaddy

I know the guys at Novak in Logan have done this same install into a grand Cherokee. After it was done it felt like it had an extra 50 hp. Give them a call, they make the adapters and can source a solid 700r4.

Slacker

Looks like about 2” difference in overall length
Advance Adapters gave me a quote of $1188 for the kit (does not include new trans cooler or lines)
Novak Conversions is going to email me a quote, I’ll post it when I get it.

Slacker

That does not include the transmission. I had one rebuilt for another project but, it may go into this one. I would need to change the input shaft for this application.

I welcome any suggestion or comments

Slacker

The current tranny is a 3 speed auto (32RH ?) not sure on this.

This is an expensive conversion, I thought where I already had the 700R4 I could do the swap for $500 - $800 but, after a couple of phone calls it looks more like the $2000 ball park.

Are there any direct bolt in HD autos?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
What's wrong with an AW4? It's a lot closer to bolting in than a 700R4. There's a lot of guys on here that use the AW4 trans. quite hard and haven't had many issues. Herzog's buggy comes to mind, it's most of an XJ drivetrain.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
That's what I was gonna say.. AW4. It's actually a good tranny and if you search the net, others have done this swap in their TJ already... Stu Olsen I believe has a write up on his site?

Bart

Stu has a great writeup on the AW4 swap and I was thinking of doing it to my old one. On the flip side, I have a friend that put a 700r4 in his TJ and loved it. He was in the industry so parts were cheaper for him.

Slacker

I read Stu's write up & found several other good links.
That may be the direction I take, I need to do some more research on this.

Next question: Best place to pick one up? Anyone have one that doesn't need a rebuild?

MRJ

Just a user
I did the AW4 swap two years ago. It is one of my favorite upgrades. I swapped from a 5 speed.

If you are swapping from a auto you will need a new ECU or you will have error codes.

It was fairly easy, the wiring was a lot of work but I was going for a factory look. You can hardly tell under the hood on mine.

It works great off road. It does tend to get hot hot in the summer. I will be installing an auxiliary tranny cooler when my Jeep get back to me someday...

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I did the AW4 swap two years ago. It is one of my favorite upgrades. I swapped from a 5 speed.

If you are swapping from a auto you will need a new ECU or you will have error codes.

It was fairly easy, the wiring was a lot of work but I was going for a factory look. You can hardly tell under the hood on mine.

It works great off road. It does tend to get hot hot in the summer. I will be installing an auxiliary tranny cooler when my Jeep get back to me someday...

So if you are swapping a AW4 in place of stick, no ECU changes?

MRJ

Just a user
So if you are swapping a AW4 in place of stick, no ECU changes?

Yup. The auto ECU will throw up an error for not seeing the TC lock up or something to that effect. The AW4 has it's own TCU that controls it.

What you need:

98 or newer AW4 (older will work but there is no clear wiring diagrams for this, I tried) Don't forget the dust shields and dipstick for this.

TCU for the year of trans you get.

The two connectors for the Cherokee wiring harness.

Flex plate and new bolts for this

Shift plate from a 96 or older XJ

Shifter for auto for a TJ

TJ auto shift cable

TJ auto brake peddle assembly

a bunch of wire and patience...

I also opted to install a trans temp gage like Stu did as well.

Basically follow his write up and it works great.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Hmm I really like my stick, but an auto sure would be nice...

I'll have to start gathering parts and maybe do this over the winter and sell off my NV3550...