700R4 in 98 wrangler TJ

Slacker

Shift plate from a 96 or older XJ

Does the year matter? Why?

Lots of good tips and information.
I made a couple of calls to salvage yards today trying to locate an AW4. I’ll keep you posted on what I find.

MRJ

Just a user
Does the year matter? Why?

Lots of good tips and information.
I made a couple of calls to salvage yards today trying to locate an AW4. I’ll keep you posted on what I find.

Yeah, it matters. By the way my discription is weak, this is the plastic cover for the console. The newer body XJ (same body I know) have a curvier console and does not work. The one I used was from a 96.

JRATOFFROAD

700r4s a very very picky pieces. If built right by a good shop it'll cost you around $1000-$1200 and will be the best tranny you have run. If not built right it'll be one headache after another. If you want the best company to build 700R4s and dont mind the drive Transmission Clinic in Colorado Spring CO is the best shop in the country to get one. Don Callender "owner" will treat you right and get you what you need.
Jason JRATOFFROAD
http://www.transmissionclinic.com/

i run a 700r in whats left of my YJ. i love it but it was a costly tranney to install and i did it 5 years ago. im not a big fan of the CPS on the front of the crank. if i had to do it agin i would go with somthing that was intended for the jeep like the AW4. the adapter i got from a AA was nice but i had to trim a lot of the tranney tunnel.

i didn't even relize when i installed it that i left a bolt hidden behind the bell housing on the tranney. so when i went to replace the starter 3 years later it took 3 hours becasue i had to trim another large chunk of ALU off the bell.

but the first gear ratio is nice, it added alot of crawl to my drivetrain so i could get away with stock gears in my axle's. i think eather way the 700r or the AW4 you wont be disapointed but look at the cost first and then decide.
jason.