Toyota '85 Yota build...FINALLY

Coco

Alright so my dad is finishing up his Jeep, so I am getting ready to get my build underway!! The only issue is, is that I have to drive my truck daily, while building it. So the only opportunities I got to work on it, is on the weekends :eek:

My goal is to get this thing done, or close to it by EJS. So it will be a lot of late nights, and long weekends, but i am hoping it is worth it in the end :)

So I got started on it yesterday, I started by reworking the rear suspension, and started by getting the rear bumper cut off, and got the old mudflap mounts off. I wasn't able to get the rear done, because when I got the rear bumper off, I discovered that to get it mounted, I will need some 2x2 square tubing. I didn't have any, and metal mart was closed :(

So with not being able to finish, I headed over to steves and helped him, and have him give me a hand on doing my front hubs. Thanks to steve for all the help, and he had a piece of 2x2 that he let me have :). So that will help when I go to do it.

Here is why I had to replace the wheel hubs. The holes were all screwed up, and destroyed my warn hub. I actually replaced the hub once before.
c1a17d06.jpg

Here is what it did to my old warn hub :-/
e1065376.jpg

So I replaced the wheel hubs, and decided to go back to the stock aisin hubs, and I put some of trail gears chromoly hub gears.
d15e25c1.jpg

Here is where I got on my rear end. Doesn't look like much, but it was a little more than it looks :)
6e3c7411.jpg

ddc9af0d.jpg

I am going to be mounting the rear spring perches, right off the rear bumper, and probably use the shackle half of my revolvers I got on there now. And hopefully that will make the rear suspension work!

And here's some goodies that will be going on :D

684f7383.jpg

f2354822.jpg

cdf312d9.jpg

7ca52363.jpg

0d344ffb.jpg

d75dcdd8.jpg

95b84137.jpg

More to come!!! This is my first ever build, so I am gonna be learning, and will probably need some inputs, and info ;)

big cherokee

a.r.c fabrication
good start and very good thing getting rid of the revolvers. i hated them on my cherokee.

and good move going back to aisins there much stronger than any after market hub out there especially with chromoly hub gears, while you were there fixing hubs problably should have thrown some arp's in there thats your next week link.

oh ya that ruf set up is very easy, im just running two sets of 86 rear leafs cut down and stacked, they flex great and ride great.

Coco

Ya I can't wait to get started, and I am gonna need to strip down the hubs and everything again to put in my e locker, and the shafts. So I will probably swap out those stud for ARPs ;)

sixstringsteve

I'm happy to help whenever I've got a spare moment that I'm not working on my build. And you're ALWAYS welcome to come build at my house.

are you planning on running arp studs on the 6-shooters as well? It's spendy, but if you can afford arp's in the six shooters and the hubs, then you'll be set!

Last edited:

_Auzzy_

Current Rig: 12W Boots
good deal man! get all beefed up cause me n YROC fab got a new trail we are going to be working on thats gonna put most to the test ;) it will be as good as crazy 8

Coco

I actually already got ARPs for the six shooters, but not for the hub studs yet. I can't wait to get it up and going.

Steve I will probably be taking you up on that offer :)

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
Looks like you got some good stuff going on the rig, id be there helping you if i didnt have school and live in ogden.
By the way ive been there on the have to drive ir everyday and work on it too it sucks but is worth it.
The only thing i would do different is dont put those TSL's on they are great off road but will wear out on the raod faster than you ever thought possible

Coco

Ya the TSL's will be an offroad only set, I am planning on getting a really deep offset wheel (or beadlock) and mounting them on there for an offroad only application. If it still isnt wide enough, I will throw some spacers on too, but that is my last resort :)

I would be getting pulled over like crazy with the TSL's on that is for sure!

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
Cool the tsl's will be great for offroad. Take your time as much as possible though on the build. There's nothing like regret from rushing a build and having to go back and do it right, keep us up to date.

Coco

Will do!! I am a REALLY slow worker as it is, and I am so OCD about everything it isn't even funny haha. I am hoping I might be able to work on it tonight, but we'll see

sixstringsteve

what are we working on tonight? I think I'm going to swing by Kurt's place for some gears and c-clips, do you need anything?

Coco

Dang! I missed your post!! I did need some stuff actually :(

Well tonight seemed like I took 2 steps forward, and 5 steps back. :-\ after pulling the truck in to do the rear suspension and bumper, we got talking, and had the idea of cutting the bottom of the bed to French the bumper into the bed, and be able to mount the bumper right off the frame. But after talking about it, and since I am wanting to get a tube bed asap, (if anyone has one they would wanna sell/trade PM me :) ) we didn't wanna cut up the bed, for anyone that would possibly want to buy it... So after unbolting the bed, cutting the old bumper off and such, I ended up putting the old bumper back on until I get a tube bed. :rolleyes: but oh well.

Planning on possibly doing the rock sliders tomorrow. Or something else. As long as I am working on it, I guess that is progress right?! ;)

SchrammMan74

What is the plan for this build? more flex? I am just wondering what all are you trying to acheive. what is making you want to lose the bed?
Rusty

krany

kranberry
his trucks rear end flexes like crap and unloads with those revolver shackles like nuts. iirc he wants the flat bed cause his current beds about to fall apart....and a flat bed can look better than a normal bed too if done right

Coco

Well, it isn't about to fall off, I have just always wanted a tube style bed. And the ultimate goal is to keep it street legal, but able to do anything I point it at. It needs the dual case, I want the disconnect, I want to keep it low and wide as possible. And the suspension needs some serious TLC. The way the rear is setup, it doesn't really flex at all, more like the whole rear of the truck is solid, and simply lifts when the truck starts to flex.

Won't be anything like your taco tho rusty ;)

SchrammMan74

What leaf springs are you running in the rear?
I agree that some flat beds can look good if done right but that is going to take a lot more money and time then it would to fix the current bed. I personally love the look of a bed with a bed cage in it over a flat bed. Allpro makes a flat bed for your truck. I saw one on ksl a while back. is that the type you are looking to do? excited to see how it turns out!

Last edited:

Coco

It currently has trail gear 5" lift springs, but I want to do the R.U.F on the front, and i am planning on just keeping the springs on the rear. But may take a leaf or two out. Will all depend on how heavy the rear of the truck will be after the tube bed tho :)

SchrammMan74

I have a set of allpro 4" spring from the front of mine that flex great if you are looking for a set. What make's you not want to get some chevy 63"s springs? you would have plenty of flex.